Lost Stadiums: Your Favourite(s)/Least Favourite(s)? | Vital Football

Lost Stadiums: Your Favourite(s)/Least Favourite(s)?

Jules

Website Owner
Staff member
Lost stadiums you have visited supporting The Imps. Which were your favourite(s) and least favourite(s)?

Vetch field was a dump but the worst is probably Feethams. Saltergate, pre refurb Bloomfield Road. Whatever Enfields ground was called can't recall but remember walking across the pitch to get to the 'away end'. Tamworth, Hyde just so many crap holes

Gay Meadow at Shrewsbury a clear favourite, cute location by the river, lots of 'character' ( ok, it was falling down) and every time I went, the Imps won.

Least favourite? Springfield Park, Wigan - terrible old ground with a greyhound track, zero atmosphere, dire weather and we lost, narrowly.

Saltergate at Chesterfield was awful. Probably didn't help that my sole visit there was a terrible performance when we were 3 down at half time whilst feeling really cold on a open terrace

Belle Vue from the 80's onwards - oh dear, watching football from a prison cell without a roof on, sorry away pen terrace.

Old Show Ground was a cracking old school ground. Big covered away end, couldn't be closer to town centre. Everything Glanford Park isn't.
Final years of Belle View were grim.

I loved Feethams. I also enjoyed my trips to Springfield Park even though it was very Northern Premier League.

Saltergate was a bit shit in later days.

Rushden and Diamonds, tidy little ground if a bit plastic.

The Dell, weird thing at one end with the stand and going into the stand we were in via a narrow tunnel with the railway sleepers above just made you realise how difficult to get out of some of those stadiums were.

Funny and slightly linked story. My brother picked me up from work in odiham 1989/90ish. Fancy watching Lincoln they are playing Maidstone?
Weighed up the drive, maybe hour and a half each way and said yeah ok.
So we set off, by the time we had reached the m25/a3 junction. We were in total gridlock. A WW2 bomb had been discovered on the M25.
Next turn our kid and we will try the a roads that skirt the M25.
Hours of slow moving traffic, shall we give up? No.
As we began to see light past the bomb scare immediate location a distant thought came to me?
Our kid, I’m not 100% sure but I think Maidstone May have left their stadium and are playing their games in dart ford.
With time running out we took a punt on my hunch.
Pulled up and parked next to some police cones near dartford ground and... yes. Maidstone did play at dart ford.
20 minutes late, lost 1-0 I think. A few mates working down south there and a few more Lincoln fans.
Back to car and I’d got a parking ticket.
Bloody brothers borrowing your car with bright ideas? Don’t you just love them?

Saltergate at Chesterfield was awful. Probably didn't help that my sole visit there was a terrible performance when we were 3 down at half time whilst feeling really cold on a open terrace

I don’t think I ever saw a good performance at Saltergate. Springfield Park certainly not missed either.

I had a soft spot for Feethams and the ‘old’ Spotland.

My favourite stadium which I saw the Imps at twice was Maine Road and that huge Kippax stand

1585646845258.png

Least favourite was unquestionably South Liverpool FC What a dump that was!
1585647013748.png

Although Springfield Park, Wigan ran it a close second!

I always fondly remember Park Avenue at Bradford, mainly for the 'Doll's House' in the corner and the big old stand. It also helped that we won 5-1 and 3-0 on my two visits there.

Park Avenue - caption.jpg

The Shay and old showground.

Glumford Park has to be one of the most depressing and most like a Subuttoe ground in all the country! No character or charm.