London Black Lives Matter Protest | Page 21 | Vital Football

London Black Lives Matter Protest

• Thread starter Deleted member 13556
  • Start date
Given that a number of luminaries on here such as Nobby, Jerry and others are somewhat aggrieved regarding the vandalism that has occurred during the recent demonstrations, I wonder what their views on votes for women would have been back in the day - I would guess very much opposed bearing in mind the criminal tactics that the Suffragettes resorted to. And to deny it, they would be telling bare faced lies.

Presumably they would have supported the suffragists and opposed the suffragettes.

Thing is, would the suffragists have won the vote for women without the direct action of the suffragettes?

Given that a number of luminaries on here such as Nobby, Jerry and others are somewhat aggrieved regarding the vandalism that has occurred during the recent demonstrations, I wonder what their views on votes for women would have been back in the day - I would guess very much opposed bearing in mind the criminal tactics that the Suffragettes resorted to. And to deny it, they would be telling bare faced lies.
When you read this, just remember that this guy is the site's number one defender of Islam.

#justsaying

You can ask me anything you like, BBS. Your question is loaded though because of the use of the word, 'vandalised'. You see, I don't think putting a bit if turf on the head of a statue really constitutes 'vandalism'. When you see statues where drunken students have placed a traffic cone on the head, do you consider that to be vandalism? I don't, even if you do! So actually, I reject your suggestion that I'm glorifying vandalism.
!

Cheers for the reply. Not loaded, just my interpretation at the time. Didn't know the turf was from older protest and can somewhat agree that it is just like a traffic cone. Up the spud!

You really are a pompous arse sometimes arent you? You have either not read what I've written or you have deliberately misinterpreted it just to be obtuse.
I have spoken out against those who have defaced or damaged memorials to the war dead, I've never mentioned Bristol or the toppling of the statue but if you're OK with with oiks trying to set fire to the union flag at the cenotaph, I think that says more about you than me.
As for Churchill, I find it ironic that his statue, and the memorials I mentioned, were erected to celebrate those who gave these protesters the freedom to have their say. I know its a tiny minority but some if these people are very thick and could learn so much from the peaceful ones I have taken the time to congratulate in my previous post.
Anyway, luminary, never been called that before, I'll take it as a compliment, thanks 👍

FB_IMG_1591573841649.jpg

Further to that, as for the Suffragette movement, I'm not sure what my views would have been back then, I'd like to think its clear what they are now. I don't believe however that it is right to view the actions of those over 100 years ago with the attitudes and values of the 21st century.

For what it's worth.

Some good news !
Hoddesdon's war memorial was successfully defended last night.
Tonight it will be Oxford and Ledbury I believe.
🇬🇧

Here's a clue to what's really behind BLM ideology. The co-founder of BLM in Toronto.

View attachment 40019

no doubt she's an extremist. That doesn't mean all BLM think that, just the same as not every white person thinks like the tit from Luton who hides behind different names.

Lovely division just at the time mankind needed to come together, we really are a very stupid species if we can't understand the problems.

Further to that, as for the Suffragette movement, I'm not sure what my views would have been back then, I'd like to think its clear what they are now. I don't believe however that it is right to view the actions of those over 100 years ago with the attitudes and values of the 21st century.

For what it's worth.

Too right, Nobby.

Like individual people, society learns from mistakes. That attitudes of the long distance past were acceptable to those living in that age is just a measure/indication of how far along the learning-ladder of social evolution people had progressed. As attitudes have changed, people have changed; that process continues. No doubt people in the future will look back at many of today`s attitudes, right across the board, and discern that much of our rationale and blame culture is flawed and wrong in the minds of future generations, who might have a take on life shaped by things that we don`t understand or haven`t learned yet.

Constantly feeling the need to exhibit, signal and manifest disgust of historic attitudes from less worldly-wise eras does little to solve issues for the future. Finding smart ways to educate without having to resort to blame might be a more constructive way forward.

For what it's worth.
That's a cop out because you would have exactly the same views then - even stronger perhaps.

Lots of people can understand the problems , and just as important, know who is causing these problems.

Prev post deleted

There isn't a simple 'who is causing them' it is a massive and deep rooted issue, blame all over the place, but whilst the blame keeps being shown solutions will never be found.

You make it sound so simple and from what I've read with your views, one way only. Apologies if I'm wrong in that.

Still, my opinion is many of the human race just need someone else to blame and need figures of hate, it seems like oxygen to some. We're a ridiculous species spending far too much time looking at the differences instead of the similarities.

That's a cop out because you would have exactly the same views then - even stronger perhaps.
I disagree, our opinions and views of what are right and wrong are mostly learned and influenced by parents, peers, history and society in general. For example, no one is born racist. Who knows what our attitudes would have been had we been born 100 years earlier? I'm not saying I would have felt differently, just that I might

Just read this post - the above is what it should all be about and gains huge respect, with most reasonable people, of course. Those burning the British flag, defacing the Churchill statue or AJ's comments (which I've listened to carefully again) saying don't buy from "their" shops I.e white people will create even more division unfortunately. Also Raheem Sterling who has spoken out very well and bravely in the past about racism issues has done himself no favours saying "racism is the only virus we are dealing with" try telling that to the 40,000 plus families who have lost loved ones to corona...

I can't stand racism and fully support those who speak out but the message has got to be carefully delivered and in proportion to other struggles people face day in day out aswell.

I agree with the drift of your post Bromley but think it unfair to define Raheem's Sterling's comments in that way. He's not a politician, or a commentator and deserves a bit of leeway. I don't think he has undersold the virus and he has given substantial sums to alleviate the problems of others at this time. This is what he said in context:

“I know this might sound a little bit cheesy but the only disease right now is the racism that we are fighting.

“This is the most important thing at this moment in time because this is something that is happening for years and years. Just like the pandemic, we want to find a solution to stop it.

“At the same time, this is what all these protesters are doing. They are trying to find a solution and a way to stop the injustice they are seeing, and they are fighting for their cause.

“As long as they are doing it peacefully and safely and not hurting anybody and not breaking into any stores, they continue to protest in this peaceful way.”

As for AJ those words were not his own but written in a letter that he read out for someone else. I'm pretty sure that he hadn't preread it either and he has made it quite clear that he does not believe in boycotting white businesses himself.