Loan Watch | Page 28 | Vital Football

Loan Watch

I’m sure Draper gains more from being a regular starter in L2 rather than a few minutes here and there at the end of games. Without the benefit of hindsight he wouldn’t even be getting those if House & Walker we’re fit.

Absolutely agree. Playing is vital to development. Look at England team tonight, many of them will have gone on lon and got experience playing before making it big.

Draper playing 5 minutes and the odd pizza cup game would not be helpful for him.

Look at England team tonight, many of them will have gone on loan and got experience playing before making it big.
I know Walker, Pickford and Kane did - haven't bothered to check all the squad.

And going back a bit. many of us remember David Beckham on loan at Preston.

In the Dennis Law and George Best days they benefited from playing first team football from 16+ - Draper is probably better than anything we have available in the foreseeable future so needs to return in January.

Despite a good start we are now going in the wrong direction - nèeds arresting quickly - the Managers view of the Burton game does not reflect reality as we were pretty dire uti

Absolutely agree. Playing is vital to development. Look at England team tonight, many of them will have gone on lon and got experience playing before making it big.

Draper playing 5 minutes and the odd pizza cup game would not be helpful for him.

But, as it turns out, he wouldn't have been playing afew minutes each game. With the injuries to House and Walker, Draper would have started just about every game for us

And if he had then scored as many for us this season as he has for Walsall, what would be be worth this summer in the transfer market? A lot more as a proven league one striker.

Its all hindsight I realise. There are arguments both for his loan at Walsall, and arguments that he would have got just as much experience staying here.

Well surely that just makes the questions over Kennedy's position even stronger?

I'm not sure one game would do that- even if it was a poor result and overall limited performance. Three weeks ago we were one scrappy goal away from a 0-0 with West Ham (and fully deserved) so we don't become a bad team in 3 weeks.

There were things on Saturday which I felt we could have considered particularly last 20 mins when our approach (plan A) wasn't able to break down Burton 9 man defensive wall BUT a season is a marathon not a sprint and won't be defined by losing to Burton 1-0 any more than it will be defined by beathing Blackpool 3-0.

Long haul not short hop for me

I'm not sure one game would do that- even if it was a poor result and overall limited performance. Three weeks ago we were one scrappy goal away from a 0-0 with West Ham (and fully deserved) so we don't become a bad team in 3 weeks.

There were things on Saturday which I felt we could have considered particularly last 20 mins when our approach (plan A) wasn't able to break down Burton 9 man defensive wall BUT a season is a marathon not a sprint and won't be defined by losing to Burton 1-0 any more than it will be defined by beathing Blackpool 3-0.

Long haul not short hop for me
I guess it depends how much you think the struggling to break down the defensive walls but being able to beat/challenge more open teams when we sit in is 1) something that will change for the better on the first one or 2) if that's okay long term and a way we can keep progressing as a club. The evidence so far isn't that that Burton game is an exception or just a one off thing that makes you question stuff - it's sort of how it has been since the 6-3 and for that very long unbeaten home run which was good as a base IMO, but actually below the league average for points at home.

So whether the next step is there or not feels pertinent - it's tricky to see Burton entirely in isolation when we drew nearly two thirds of our home games and only scored less goals than two teams who were both relegated (FGR and MK Dons).

Maybe that's a glass half empty thing from me. I'm suspicious of 1) or that that would dramatically change... It would be an amazing way to set up for us in the Championship when we'd always be the defensive wall ourselves all the time, though!

Is this a joke or is that a serious comment? If it’s not a joke it’s not very constructive. The idea of the forum is to debate, not just slag off someone else’s view that you don’t agree with. Try putting some valid views with a different viewpoint to add something worthwhile to the debate.
A bit OTT that Perth. Iam not much of a poster but an avid reader who loves his club. Having to endure reading anything and everything that comes into his head is painfull and frustrating to say the least. To
me there is a clear lack of knowledge and understanding of the game and how a club operates and can operate so therefore doesn’t deserve any more than a few words. No I’ll intended personally I assure you.

A bit OTT that Perth. Iam not much of a poster but an avid reader who loves his club. Having to endure reading anything and everything that comes into his head is painfull and frustrating to say the least. To
me there is a clear lack of knowledge and understanding of the game and how a club operates and can operate so therefore doesn’t deserve any more than a few words. No I’ll intended personally I assure you.
Well couldn’t have put it any better, 100% spot on

Maybe you don’t really understand the purpose of a fans forum 69. We all see things different and are entitled to share our individual opinions, if you don’t want varied opinions you can block people who don’t share your views but if you do that why bother with a forum at all.

My apologies if I offended you as a lover of LCFC (which we all are) but it’s a bit disingenuous to call my post OTT when yours offered no constructive comment at all and simply referred to Mike O’Sullivan’s post as “shit”. No point to it at all as far as I can see, apart from insulting a fellow Imp. What you said in this post is far more constructive and in keeping with the whole point of the forum, and for that I respect your view 👍

On the subject of loans generally. Going back 20 years, one of our relatively rare successes at producing a first team player, Lee Frecklington did go out on loan after making his City debut. But they were very short loans and at a surprisingly low level. Lincoln Utd and Stamford. I think he was under 20 though.
Not sure he needed the loans as he forced his way into the first team fairly quickly.
Maybe he is an exception and maybe times have changed and we are now L1. But transition into the first team is possible without prolonged periods out on loan.
As they say if you're good enough you're old enough.