Loan Watch | Page 27 | Vital Football

Loan Watch

House game is way more then scoring (which is also part of his game).

I think at this rate we are regressing from last year when we all hoped we would kick on
I don't disagree that he contributed more but so did Akinde and Hopper when they were here- having a free scoring striker has been an issue for the a number of seasons now. Yesterday's team was one player away from our top starting 11.....

I don't disagree that he contributed more but so did Akinde and Hopper when they were here- having a free scoring striker has been an issue for the a number of seasons now. Yesterday's team was one player away from our top starting 11.....
If that’s the case that’s a worry and hints at more fundamental issues.

Strikers aren't the silver bullet- how many goals did Walker and House score in the league before they were injured.....ZERO.
Fully agree leave Freddie in a team who create chances.

It doesn’t matter who we have up front at the moment, they simply won’t score as we don’t create opportunities for them to score.

Strikers aren't the silver bullet- how many goals did Walker and House score in the league before they were injured.....ZERO.
Agree with this. How you play, and the system you employ, when you don't have a fit one is!
I'm not sure MK knows how to deal with this. Watching yesterday certainly didn't indicate he does. I'd rather us stick Paudie (or similar) down the middle and try to pick up seconds balls in their box than aimlessly fanny around in our own half going nowhere and back again. Please just do something different.

Difficult one isn't it. We've missed the joint least (7) big chances in the league alongside Cheltenham and have the third lowest xG (which we've actually outperformed). So it's not an easy win where we're missing chances , so someone with an ability to pop them in the back of the net would make a big difference.

And House played when Burton beat us 0-1 last season in a game with similar patterns.

But I don't know if that's slightly more worrying as a whole?

The negativity is being posted by the usual suspects: the post 17 January 2017 'supporters' like you. Those who have been with the club since the 1950s/60s/70s do not display the same ill-informed, kneejerk, self-entitled blubbering.

I take exception to that Scot. I have been a supporter since 1960, and probably pre-date you.

You may think yesterday's performance was acceptable. I don't. This forum is all about opinions. If you don't agree, then either do not comment or present a different view.

However you should not attack another's comment - or indeed anyone's view - as being "ill-informed, kneejerk, self-entitled blubbering." without saying why we should be happy with MK's current tactics and yesterday's performance.

Yesterday's 11 was one player (House) missing from what would be our strongest team if everyone was fit (excluding Montsma).

Difficult one isn't it. We've missed the joint least (7) big chances in the league alongside Cheltenham and have the third lowest xG (which we've actually outperformed). So it's not an easy win where we're missing chances , so someone with an ability to pop them in the back of the net would make a big difference.

And House played when Burton beat us 0-1 last season in a game with similar patterns.

But I don't know if that's slightly more worrying as a whole?

House is a similar player to Hopper and Akinde- does bring more to the party but isn't the "20+ a season" player. However, we are currently putting square pegs in round holes - Hackett and Adelakun are also not out and out strikers either.

That's my starting point- yesterday was very close to our current first team bar House (you can swap Mitchell and Roughan but I'm not sure there is much in that one)- so my only (laboured) point is the striker role isn't the sole solution but would be a step in the direction of better attempts on goal, XG, crosses, touches in opposition box etc but isn't the sole silver bullet.

That was a very laboured point, I know!

Agree with this. How you play, and the system you employ, when you don't have a fit one is!
I'm not sure MK knows how to deal with this. Watching yesterday certainly didn't indicate he does. I'd rather us stick Paudie (or similar) down the middle and try to pick up seconds balls in their box than aimlessly fanny around in our own half going nowhere and back again. Please just do something different.
That's the point really- House comes back tomorrow and will probably get 10-12 by season end........and that's it! So it's how we play within the current constraints then. We did look very comfortable first half BUT lacked threat- possession without purpose. In fact it's something we've seen opposition do this season (Blackpool, Wycombe)- have possession but not create from it as we have defended well.

So, to play within a system where we don't have a "no.9" as such should mean a change in approach- even play without a number 9 and have two up front (5-3-2). Strikers aren't the silver bullet at the moment but a change in formation or tactics may be.

I notice Long was on the bench for Falkirik on Saturday. Does anybody know if he has lost his place or is he coming back from injury?

Can we just put a sticky up saying that we can only recall loan players within a transfer window (those at the level where transfer windows apply).
Just a bit fed up of reading we need to recall this player and that player asap.
Spot on.
I do struggle to understand those who call for Kendal to be recalled anyway. We signed him on a bit of a gamble after an excellent spell of scoring for Eastbourne. On the very few occasions he has played for us he has done OK without standing out. He had a disastrous loan spell at Sutton and we will never know if that was down to Sutton,Kendal or both. But he has done nothing In his loans since then and can't hold down a starting spot in the National League. He hasn't made the transition to League football and at the end of the season will see him back at Eastbourne or somewhere similar.
However Draper is the opposite. He has grasped his chance in his loans at Drogheda and now Walsall. Have only seen highlights not full matches but he is a big strong unit who is good in the air and can hold the ball up. Opposition defenders don't look comfortable against him he can certainly handle the physicality of football at our level. He is also not short of skill with the ball at his feet and more importantly he can finish.
For his development it would be better if he could spend the full season at Walsall. However needs must. I cannot foresee House being available until late in the season. If and when Walker becomes available I can't see him being available every week with his injury record. As for the enigma Vale, I keep hoping to see his name on the team sheet but in vain. Plus Vale isn't as experienced as Draper is now. Unless we have our eye on a permanent or a loan striker in January then Draper has to be recalled if his loan agreement allows that.

Opposition defenders don't look comfortable against him he can certainly handle the physicality of football at our level. He is also not short of skill with the ball at his feet and more importantly he can finish.

To be honest, I thought Draper looked like that for us even before he went out on loan to the Drogs. He had the physical attributes right from his first sub appearance for us.

He gained match experience at the Drogs and scored goals. With not having any back-up for House in our squad at the start of this season, we should have kept Draper and let him gain experience from our bench relieving House or maybe even playing alongside him if we were chasing a game.

It was just a poor decision to send him out on loan again without having any back-up for House. Instead we sign another club's inexperienced young forward (Vale) when we could have had our own player doing that role.

At some stage this club needs to realise that constantly sending our promising young players out on loan to non-league clubs is not always the right thing to do. I'd rather see them on our bench and getting minutes later in games and a full 90 in the cup games. That way you know within a year if they are going to make it at this level.

As it stands, we know Draper has a future. Kendall, Ahui, Long, Gallagher, Worsfield-Gregg, Cann etc we still have no idea of their ability to play in our league 2.

Its a different and far more physical game in the lower non-leagues. Even some experienced EFL players can't handle it when they drop down. Equally some talented young players might not thrive on loan in non-league, but might well turn out to be good standard EFL players.

Crewe do this to great effect. They rarely send their young players out on loan. Instead they keep them as part of their squad and give them minutes from the bench. And far more of them develope into regular first team players for Crewe as a result - and make the club money in transfer fees.

Anyway, rant over. We have far more pressing problems to solve than the future of our young players. Draper excepted - who we really do need back in January.

Well surely that just makes the questions over Kennedy's position even stronger?

To be honest, I thought Draper looked like that for us even before he went out on loan to the Drogs. He had the physical attributes right from his first sub appearance for us.

He gained match experience at the Drogs and scored goals. With not having any back-up for House in our squad at the start of this season, we should have kept Draper and let him gain experience from our bench relieving House or maybe even playing alongside him if we were chasing a game.

It was just a poor decision to send him out on loan again without having any back-up for House. Instead we sign another club's inexperienced young forward (Vale) when we could have had our own player doing that role.

At some stage this club needs to realise that constantly sending our promising young players out on loan to non-league clubs is not always the right thing to do. I'd rather see them on our bench and getting minutes later in games and a full 90 in the cup games. That way you know within a year if they are going to make it at this level.

As it stands, we know Draper has a future. Kendall, Ahui, Long, Gallagher, Worsfield-Gregg, Cann etc we still have no idea of their ability to play in our league 2.

Its a different and far more physical game in the lower non-leagues. Even some experienced EFL players can't handle it when they drop down. Equally some talented young players might not thrive on loan in non-league, but might well turn out to be good standard EFL players.

Crewe do this to great effect. They rarely send their young players out on loan. Instead they keep them as part of their squad and give them minutes from the bench. And far more of them develope into regular first team players for Crewe as a result - and make the club money in transfer fees.

Anyway, rant over. We have far more pressing problems to solve than the future of our young players. Draper excepted - who we really do need back in January.
Just looking at the mighty L2 Crewe's treatment of their young players/graduates on their books at present

Tom Booth - loans to Kidgrove and Nantwich

Connor O' Riordan - loan to Raith Rovers

Billy Sasse-Davies - loans to Yeovil, Woking etc

Lewis Bilington - loan to Leek

Zac Kempster-Brown - loan Bamber Bridge

Max Woodcock - loan Runcorn

Regan Griffith's - loan Kidgrove, Whitton, Notts County

I think David Platt has retired.

Just looking at the mighty L2 Crewe's treatment of their young players/graduates on their books at present

Tom Booth - loans to Kidgrove and Nantwich

Connor O' Riordan - loan to Raith Rovers

Billy Sasse-Davies - loans to Yeovil, Woking etc

Lewis Bilington - loan to Leek

Zac Kempster-Brown - loan Bamber Bridge

Max Woodcock - loan Runcorn

Regan Griffith's - loan Kidgrove, Whitton, Notts County

I think David Platt has retired.
Yeah but apart from those 😅

I’m sure Draper gains more from being a regular starter in L2 rather than a few minutes here and there at the end of games. Without the benefit of hindsight he wouldn’t even be getting those if House & Walker we’re fit.