Liverpool FC (The Reds) vs Tottenham Hotspur | Page 2 | Vital Football

Liverpool FC (The Reds) vs Tottenham Hotspur

Crikey reading you lot is like going to see Les Miserables every night.
Man up, it's only another football game not the end of the world.

LoLz, I suport the Spurs, no football game is just another football game... In fact i have a ritual for the days when we lose/draw games... I rewatch winning games

Their game plan against us hasn't changed since Klopp took over. They close us down, not giving us time to move the ball at the back. We need to be quicker and more decisive in moving the ball from back to front and then we will have a chance.

Trying to defend against their attack will not yield any results.

Great observation. It's an away game so expecting time on the ball at the back would be very naive and stupid. My tactics would be:
- Play Toby, Jan and Sanchez to deal better with their 3 pronged attack.
- Get Trips and Rose to push Robertson and Trent back and not let them on the outside.
- Start with Winks, Sissoko, Dele and Eriksen in the first half to flood the midfield and make a stifled game of it.
- Be ready to unleash Son and Moura's pace in the second half and shift back to flat back four.

I have a nasty feeling Poch will play Son in another very tough away game and he'll go missing again. I'd be ecstatic for him to steal the glory in the second half but we'll need warriors in the first half and he's definitely not been that recently. Ditto with Moura.

Great observation. It's an away game so expecting time on the ball at the back would be very naive and stupid. My tactics would be:
- Play Toby, Jan and Sanchez to deal better with their 3 pronged attack.
- Get Trips and Rose to push Robertson and Trent back and not let them on the outside.
- Start with Winks, Sissoko, Dele and Eriksen in the first half to flood the midfield and make a stifled game of it.
- Be ready to unleash Son and Moura's pace in the second half and shift back to flat back four.

I have a nasty feeling Poch will play Son in another very tough away game and he'll go missing again. I'd be ecstatic for him to steal the glory in the second half but we'll need warriors in the first half and he's definitely not been that recently. Ditto with Moura.

Every game against City/Pool we seem to play a high line/high press they cut through.

Would be nice to try something different and sit back and hit on counter, let them have the ball and frustrate them.

I don’t get all this criticism of Son.....Kane injured, Son stars, we win. Kane returns, Son shoved into supporting role...we lose. Son is a striker, pure and simple and he’s bloody good at it...he needs the freedom to roam and he needs a players that can see his runs and pass the ball to him first time, not 10 sideways passes later. He has pace, ball skills and a lethal finish but Poch subsumed his abilities into the quagmire of the possession system...we need to leverage his skills not bury them.

I don’t get all this criticism of Son.....Kane injured, Son stars, we win. Kane returns, Son shoved into supporting role...we lose. Son is a striker, pure and simple and he’s bloody good at it...he needs the freedom to roam and he needs a players that can see his runs and pass the ball to him first time, not 10 sideways passes later. He has pace, ball skills and a lethal finish but Poch subsumed his abilities into the quagmire of the possession system...we need to leverage his skills not bury them.

I will always give credit where credit's due for the great things Son does in our shirt. He's not above my criticism though for the other stuff, like anyone else in the squad. I don't agree that it's him playing second fiddle to Kane though. Even with 2 up top Kane will naturally sniff out danger, drop in and make up midfield numbers. Some commentators are saying that's not where one of the best strikers in the world should be playing but that is his style at the moment for both club and country. I'm OK with it as he has Sterling, Rashford, Son etc with him. They are superb players and can score.

I just wish Son would play with that Kane responsibility and dig in with his team mates in these tough away games. He rarely does, but instead plays like he's at home where we recycle the ball quickly and go forward again. He stays up too much. So many times I see him switch off defensively which often means he's then sprinting back to defend and wasting energy. I hope Poch gets there in the end with him because if he can add that to his game he'd reach another level altogether. I'm not sure he will though.

I think Son is pretty one dimensional. He can be lethal in attack and it's a great talent he has. But I don't expect much else from him.

I think most attackers would settle for being 1 dimensionally lethal.

The trouble is we've become used to Harry also being a creator when necessary, an effective midfielder when needed and a defender of set pieces when called upon...

With bar that high, being 'just' a one dimensional lethal striker looks like it's not enough.

Personally, I do think poch must have considered why Son appears to flourish and then apparently goes into hibernation when Harry returns; is it our set up, would he be better accomodated in a 4-4-2 is the balance of the team right?

Or is he the perenial super-sub who really should be subbing Harry more often?

The trouble is we've become used to Harry also being a creator when necessary, an effective midfielder when needed and a defender of set pieces when called upon...

With bar that high, being 'just' a one dimensional lethal striker looks like it's not enough.

Personally, I do think poch must have considered why Son appears to flourish and then apparently goes into hibernation when Harry returns; is it our set up, would he be better accomodated in a 4-4-2 is the balance of the team right?

Or is he the perenial super-sub who really should be subbing Harry more often?

I think this season's formations and tactics have been as much about players availability and fitness as anything else. I think there was the strategy to stop Kane being such a marked man and get him to drag defenders into deeper spaces for Son and Moura. Poch's also found ways for Sissoko to play to his strengths which has left us a bit lop sided such is his bias to the right.

I hope they fixed some of this in Barcelona, but fear the Dier injury might have thrown a mini spanner in the works tactically.

Sonny has always been streaky. It's not like he's never scored when Harry plays or only worked as a sub. I just think the team had got used to a certain style of play without Kane and have regressed a bit now he's back, Son being the obvious casualty. They just need to find their groove again and Muttley is undoubtedly right that the revolving door of injured players has impacted on our rhythm and rapport.

Sonny will obviously be more prolific when he's the main man, but he can and does create as well as score when he isn't. If anything I think our play has become more 1 dimensional since Harry's return.

Sonny has always been streaky. It's not like he's never scored when Harry plays or only worked as a sub. I just think the team had got used to a certain style of play without Kane and have regressed a bit now he's back, Son being the obvious casualty. They just need to find their groove again and Muttley is undoubtedly right that the revolving door of injured players has impacted on our rhythm and rapport.

Sonny will obviously be more prolific when he's the main man, but he can and does create as well as score when he isn't. If anything I think our play has become more 1 dimensional since Harry's return.

I still believe that in terms of impact on the team/squad that losing Victor for so long has been a massive blow to us.

I am sadly not expecting us to get anything points wise out of the game. Tho I know on our day, we absolutely could. But points aside I hope we walk off the pitch with everyone thinking thank feck we are back 'on it' so we can go on from the game with optimism based on something other than wishful thinking.....