LIncoln Late 1980s and Early 1990s | Page 4 | Vital Football

LIncoln Late 1980s and Early 1990s

Yes, they had a few themed film events but I'm not sure it caught on. Absolutely Luncoln could do with that. I used to love the independent Broadway cinema in Nottingham when I lived there. I even got to ask Quentin Tarantino a question about "Reservoir Dogs" after a screening there!
Seriously?!

Nearly... Briggy (Les Briggs)
Yep, I remember it's Briggy now. My mum new him from her time working at the Lincoln Labour Exchange. He was always in the High Street, blowing the same old notes on his Harmonica. One of Lincoln's characters. There was another chap, at about the same time, who used also used to be seen sitting in the High Street. He wore an RAF cap and used to have some sort of toy, of a dog I think, that did back flaps whilst he made some random noise on a harmonica. Anyone any ideas who he was?

Seriously?!

Absolutely. He attended the "Shots in the dark" festival twice in the late 80s, early 90s for showings of "Reservoir Dogs" and the premier - outside of the US - of "Pulp Fiction". I was at both.

He took questions after each showing from the audience. I asked "Did Mr Pink get away?". I don't think he was impressed because he referred me to the police radio broadcast you can hear, apparently, over the end credits.

I just quite enough of a film-buff for him. 😁

I remember going to the ABC with Sincilbanks to see "Fatal Attraction". I think both of us leapt out of seats when Glen Close had her final surprise for Michael Douglas.

One of the few times I recall going. Usually went to the Odeon before it closed. In fact, thinking about it, that's probably why we were there as I have a vague memory that the ABC outlasted the Odeon, although not by much.

Is the independent cinema that started up again at the the back of the Ritz Wetherspoon in the old auditorium still going?

I think we went to see the Tarzan film with Bo Derek there mate (I only remember because I fell asleep during that). I saw Life of Brian there and Flash Gordon (as well as the above mentioned Jaws)

I regularly used to go to Kinema in the Woods to watch films as well.

When I left Lincoln it didn't have a cinema, or a place for bands to gig.

I think we went to see the Tarzan film with Bo Derek there mate (I only remember because I fell asleep during that). I saw Life of Brian there and Flash Gordon (as well as the above mentioned Jaws)

Yep. Hence we saw "Dune" in - Newark?

It's hard to believe how dire Lincoln had become by the early 1990s when you see how vibrant it is these days.

A little research indicates the Cannon as it had become by then closed in October 1988.

The Odeon closed in October 1981 and was re-opened by Barry Stead under its old name of the Ritz in February 1985. Closed again in March 1996.

The late-lamented Regal closed in February 1966.

This photo, which for a change almost relates to the title of this thread, dates from 1995:

Ritz in Lincoln 1995.jpg

A little research indicates the Cannon as it had become by then closed in October 1988.

The Odeon closed in October 1981 and was re-opened by Barry Stead under its old name of the Ritz in February 1985. Closed again in March 1996.

This photo, which for a change almost relates to the title of this thread, dates from 1995:

View attachment 47093

I can't see any trains in that picture.

Absolutely. He attended the "Shots in the dark" festival twice in the late 80s, early 90s for showings of "Reservoir Dogs" and the premier - outside of the US - of "Pulp Fiction". I was at both.

He took questions after each showing from the audience. I asked "Did Mr Pink get away?". I don't think he was impressed because he referred me to the police radio broadcast you can hear, apparently, over the end credits.

I just quite enough of a film-buff for him. 😁
Oh wow, nice! I bet that was amazing, even if he wasn't impressed with your question!

A final anecdote. As the lights dimmed and the auduence eagerly anticipated the world premier of "Pulp Fiction" in the Broadway cinema, the title screen for "Madame Butterfly" came up.

The projectionist had forgotten to change the reel. 🤣

View attachment 47093
Nice pic. The strangest job I ever had was when I acted as Roadie for a night at The Ritz, for a Barbra Dickson concert back in 1987. Got paid cash in hand and it was a pretty good amount, I seem to remember. My career as a Roadie ended prematurely when a soundstack smacked me on the head whilst we were putting away at the end of the concert. Small Lincoln City link there in that I got the job through Nigel Dennis (God bless him) who used to be the LCFC Groundsperson. I think it was his step dad that used to be Stage Manager, or something like that, there.