LIncoln Late 1980s and Early 1990s | Page 2 | Vital Football

LIncoln Late 1980s and Early 1990s

It didn't take long for this thread to end up with train-spotters.

They all do, eventually.

you mean you never bought the Ian Allen books , many a time Bromley South and Orpington stations . loved it ......... then i discovered sex , drugs and rock and roll

"Hit me with your rhythm stick ...one of the records of the 70s .

Attachments

• th (1).jpg
    th (1).jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 0
Cheeky boy. I will see what I can do. Not going to post today. Will put something on tomorrow.
A couple for you Knotty. One of Lincoln's great industrial firms. A solvent company that sadly came a cropper because of asset stripping capitalists (how does that sound Knotty?). Robeys old offices were in the Globe works, situated on Canwick Road. In the company's latter years they moved to Witham House, by Pelham Bridge. These photos were taken on 1/1/1990. If my memory is right, Robeys closed at the end of 1986. I went with my Dad to the pre-Xmas wake that the staff had that year at the nearby Travellers Rest. A cracking afternoon!

20210327_095522 (2).jpg20210327_095823 (3).jpg

Later home to the Californian car wash - I think it sums up the UK adjustment to its current tertiary dominated economy

A couple for you Knotty. One of Lincoln's great industrial firms. A solvent company that sadly came a cropper because of asset stripping capitalists (how does that sound Knotty?). Robeys old offices were in the Globe works, situated on Canwick Road. In the company's latter years they moved to Witham House, by Pelham Bridge. These photos were taken on 1/1/1990. If my memory is right, Robeys closed at the end of 1986. I went with my Dad to the pre-Xmas wake that the staff had that year at the nearby Travellers Rest. A cracking afternoon!

View attachment 47053View attachment 47054

I think my dad transfered to the company that too Robeys over and ended up working in Retford for a while.

Travellers Rest is now rented accomodation.

I assume you went to the Robey's social club on occasion?

I think my dad transfered to the company that too Robeys over and ended up working in Retford for a while.

Travellers Rest is now rented accomodation.

I assume you went to the Robey's social club on occasion?
Funnily enough, given that Dad worked at Robeys for a fair few years, I can only remember going in the building once for a Heavy Rock disco and that was long after Robeys had closed. I think it was called the Globe then but am happy to be corrected.

Funnily enough, given that Dad worked at Robeys for a fair few years, I can only remember going in the building once for a Heavy Rock disco and that was long after Robeys had closed. I think it was called the Globe then but am happy to be corrected.

Yes, I think that's right.

I went a few times. Dad would play a few games of snooker and we were allowed to play bar-billiards.

Yes, I think that's right.

I went a few times. Dad would play a few games of snooker and we were allowed to play bar-billiards.
I have Robeys to thank for starting me off watching the Imps. Dad won two tickets on one of their raffles to see the Imps against Tranmere in November 1975. The crowd that night was just over 11,000. Still my highest Imps home attendance. Went round the Robeys workshops a couple of times with Dad. A real throw back to the old heavy engineering Lincoln. A fascinating glimpse to an age of industry that is long gone now.

My grandma, who was widowed, lived in Ripon Street and had a lodger from Robeys. A previous lodger (from Robeys), before my time, had been with her a long while, and after he married and moved to Hykeham they remained family friends

If we get lucky there may be some pictures of stationary engines.

Or classic cars.
Well, it's your lucky day. Your wish is my command:giggle:.
20210327_172120.jpg
When Robeys closed I went with my Dad to help clear his desk. A sombre affair it was. Whilst there, I picked up the above catalogue as it was about to be chucked in a bin. I often wondered why I did that, but 35 years later I now know....so Knotty could have his wish fulfilled (see below). Not only is it a stationary engine, but it is a Robey one as well!
20210327_171957 (2).jpg
Inside the front cover of this catalogue is the wonderful picture below, showing Robey's Globe Works during its hey day.
20210327_172035 (2).jpg

Good stuff. Lincoln's tram shed is still standing today and is on Newark Road. As a kid I used to walk from Hykeham to RAF Waddington to watch the Vulcans. Half way along Station Road in lower Waddington, before it goes up the hill, there used to be an old Lincoln tram in one of the gardens there. I often wondered what happened to it.