LIncoln Late 1980s and Early 1990s | Page 3 | Vital Football

LIncoln Late 1980s and Early 1990s

I have Robeys to thank for starting me off watching the Imps. Dad won two tickets on one of their raffles to see the Imps against Tranmere in November 1975. The crowd that night was just over 11,000. Still my highest Imps home attendance. Went round the Robeys workshops a couple of times with Dad. A real throw back to the old heavy engineering Lincoln. A fascinating glimpse to an age of industry that is long gone now.

My dad worked for Robeys from when he was 14 till he retired (interrupted only by the war). By then, of course, it was well in decline along with all the other heavy engineering firms which employed the city, even if outside of Lincoln people are/were unaware of that industrial heritage.

As a kid my main memory of the firm though is Saturday night at Robeys Club, which I think was above their canteen on Thesiger Street (?). A smoke filled room that made my eyes sting till they wept, with some-or-other god-awful trio playing m-o-r inbetween bingo. Real Wheeltappers & Shunters stuff. Loved those times.

Back to the 1980s and 1990s today.
The ABC cinema was an important part of Lincoln's social scene. By the late 1980s, though, it had stopped being a cinema and was just a bingo hall. For some reason, I preferred it to the Odeon (Ritz), possibly because it didn't seem quite as big inside and seemed more intimate. I remember the massive queues that built up outside when the film "Grease" was on. It stretched all the way along the side of the building and then along Waterside North. I remember "Jaws" was shown there. The only reason why me and my mates went to see it was to see the scene where the severed head falls out the boat and floats to the bottom of the ocean (if I remember it correctly).20210328_113544 (2).jpg

20210328_113757 (2).jpg
This stretch of Saltergate housed the Co-op Bank, Victoria Wine and the RN and RM recruiting office. Did anyone on Vitals start their service career by signing up there? All were flattened to make way for the new Waterside Centre.
20210328_113930 (2).jpg
Looking in the other direction was the RAF recruiting office. Anyone on Vitals join the RAF there? I tried to join the RAF and took several tests there, but was turned down due to dodgy hearing. There was then a narrow passageway that led down to an open air car park and the River Witham. Further along is one of the side entrances to good old Woolworths. Enjoy!

I remember going to the ABC with Sincilbanks to see "Fatal Attraction". I think both of us leapt out of seats when Glen Close had her final surprise for Michael Douglas.

One of the few times I recall going. Usually went to the Odeon before it closed. In fact, thinking about it, that's probably why we were there as I have a vague memory that the ABC outlasted the Odeon, although not by much.

Is the independent cinema that started up again at the the back of the Ritz Wetherspoon in the old auditorium still going?

I remember going to the ABC with Sincilbanks to see "Fatal Attraction". I think both of us leapt out of seats when Glen Close had her final surprise for Michael Douglas.

One of the few times I recall going. Usually went to the Odeon before it closed. In fact, thinking about it, that's probably why we were there as I have a vague memory that the ABC outlasted the Odeon, although not by much.

Is the independent cinema that started up again at the the back of the Ritz Wetherspoon in the old auditorium still going?
If it is then, as Judas Priest sang, they'll be "Breakin' The Law".

Did you see any of the bands that played there?

No. I've been trying to think of some of the films I saw there in my young days - I think 'Carry on Nurse' was one, but not sure of others. Of course in my day we had three cinemas to choose from! (And that's not counting the Radion or the Grand which weren't on our radar).

Well, not right now, obviously!
Sorry, couldn't resist! Seriously, though, I know a couple of films were shown there about 2018/19. I'm pretty sure all the infrastructure is still in place. It'd be great if they could do some more screenings after the pandemic as Lincoln needs the competition of a small independent. One of the films I saw at the old Odeon was Star Wars-A New Hope. I took my brother with me, who is a few years junior to me. It was the first cinema film he had ever been to see. As a strange coincidence, one of the last films the old Ritz showed was the same film. I took my son to see it, and it was his first cinema film too. Would love it if they showed that film there again.

No. I've been trying to think of some of the films I saw there in my young days - I think 'Carry on Nurse' was one, but not sure of others. Of course in my day we had three cinemas to choose from! (And that's not counting the Radion or the Grand which weren't on our radar).
I remember seeing Apocalypse Now there. It was an 18 film, if I recall rightly. Me and my mate were well under age but that didn't stop the staff letting us in.

Sorry, couldn't resist! Seriously, though, I know a couple of films were shown there about 2018/19. I'm pretty sure all the infrastructure is still in place. It'd be great if they could do some more screenings after the pandemic as Lincoln needs the competition of a small independent. One of the films I saw at the old Odeon was Star Wars-A New Hope. I took my brother with me, who is a few years junior to me. It was the first cinema film he had ever been to see. As a strange coincidence, one of the last films the old Ritz showed was the same film. I took my son to see it, and it was his first cinema film too. Would love it if they showed that film there again.

Yes, they had a few themed film events but I'm not sure it caught on. Absolutely Luncoln could do with that. I used to love the independent Broadway cinema in Nottingham when I lived there. I even got to ask Quentin Tarantino a question about "Reservoir Dogs" after a screening there!