LIncoln Late 1980s and Early 1990s | Page 13 | Vital Football

LIncoln Late 1980s and Early 1990s

Looking back at my pics so far, it seems to me that the regeneration and modernisation of Lincoln city centre started with the building of the Waterside Centre in 90/91 and the St Marks development a short time later. Before that, it really was run down and a right old mess. As has been mentioned previously, unemployment in Lincoln during the 80s and early 90s was exceptionally high. Far higher than it is now, even after a year of Covid-19. For young people there was very little to do, compared to the wealth of social and cultural opportunities now. No wonder Lincoln's youth was keen to get away from the place.
For the next few days I will be posting pictures of Brayford Wharf East. Yet again, be prepared for some major changes. The buildings in these pictures were approximately on the stretch of Brayford Wharf East opposite the Engine Shed. I'm guessing that when they were built they would have originally been warehouses associated with water traffic on the Brayford, unless anyone knows better?
20210410_134339 (2).jpg20210410_134545 (2).jpg20210410_135735 (2).jpg20210410_135906 (2).jpg
20210410_135949 (2).jpg

Lincoln Canoe club is still going strong and is very popular. Now has it's own boat house on the Brayford.

The club I went to was Witham Valley Canoe Club, which had split from the Lincoln CC, which had its headquarters in that corner of the Brayford in the electric company/Hovis Mill area. I believe the split was around the preferences for racing (Lincoln) and touring (WVCC). I went to the WVCC simply because that's where the friend who introduced me to it went. Subsequently the WVCC folded and it joined back together and I drifted away not long after. This was in the days of Lawrence Oliver, who represented Great Britain, and he was always around the club.

I've always fancied water sports and have had a go at canoeing (sea kayaking most recently) and sailing, but somehow it doesn't stick with me. I prefer walking in the hills....and watching football!!

The club I went to was Witham Valley Canoe Club, which had split from the Lincoln CC, which had its headquarters in that corner of the Brayford in the electric company/Hovis Mill area. I believe the split was around the preferences for racing (Lincoln) and touring (WVCC). I went to the WVCC simply because that's where the friend who introduced me to it went. Subsequently the WVCC folded and it joined back together and I drifted away not long after. This was in the days of Lawrence Oliver, who represented Great Britain, and he was always around the club.

I've always fancied water sports and have had a go at canoeing (sea kayaking most recently) and sailing, but somehow it doesn't stick with me. I prefer walking in the hills....and watching football!!

I've done a little bit of dinghy sailing - 3 lessons on Loch Ness - and absolutely loved it.

And on another holiday I spent 2 hours tacking a Brixham sailing trawler up the Sound of Mull. Loved that too.

Lawrence is still a big part of Lincoln Canoe Club. The Club still focuses on racing but there is place for more recreational kayakers/canoeists as well.

Looking back at my pics so far, it seems to me that the regeneration and modernisation of Lincoln city centre started with the building of the Waterside Centre in 90/91 and the St Marks development a short time later. Before that, it really was run down and a right old mess. As has been mentioned previously, unemployment in Lincoln during the 80s and early 90s was exceptionally high. Far higher than it is now, even after a year of Covid-19. For young people there was very little to do, compared to the wealth of social and cultural opportunities now. No wonder Lincoln's youth was keen to get away from the place.
For the next few days I will be posting pictures of Brayford Wharf East. Yet again, be prepared for some major changes. The buildings in these pictures were approximately on the stretch of Brayford Wharf East opposite the Engine Shed. I'm guessing that when they were built they would have originally been warehouses associated with water traffic on the Brayford, unless anyone knows better?
View attachment 47511View attachment 47512View attachment 47513View attachment 47514
View attachment 47515
Ok, who bought a car from Wigford car sales?

Today's pics follow on from yesterday's, and shows some more of the old buildings on Brayford Wharf East, which were near to the train line. By way of contrast, the last photo in this little group shows what the area looks like now. Quite a contrast.
20210410_134106 (2).jpg20210410_134153_002 (2).jpg20210410_134502 (2).jpg20210410_134625 (2).jpg20210410_134735 (2).jpg20210410_134849 (2).jpg20210410_135110 (2).jpg20210410_135627 (1).jpg20210412_132237.jpg

Today's pics follow on from yesterday's, and shows some more of the old buildings on Brayford Wharf East, which were near to the train line. By way of contrast, the last photo in this little group shows what the area looks like now. Quite a contrast.
View attachment 47553View attachment 47554View attachment 47555View attachment 47556View attachment 47557View attachment 47558View attachment 47559View attachment 47560View attachment 47561

I can’t remember the last time I came to Lincoln centre I reckon at least 4 years it not 5. I am sure it wasn’t there then. Was that where the theory test place was?

Thinking about it I think my last trip to the bank was kidderminster at home when Sam Yorke was playing. I bet I don’t recognise the place.

There are several Lincoln Then and Now photos on this YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3nQl1_gGW2qBJzAKFePw8w

Great stuff, several interesting shots. But a bit of an "I told you so" here

On another thread, months back in the pandemic, I referred to different sports/activity shops when we were lads, and mentioned Wakefield Army Stores being just south of the Stonebow. I was corrected, saying that Wakefield's was in the Cornhill, and in fact a photo was posted, but still thought I'd been right

The attached clip of "Lincoln's Lost Cinemas", at about 1 min 40 secs shows the Regal cinema (just south of the Stonebow); and next to it? Wakefield's Army Stores

I well remember the Regal (at least fairly well, as I was very young). Apart from films we would sometimes go the cafe on the first floor for egg & chips with bread and butter.

did that wall where the mural was become the retaining wall to a council car park? We used to park there back on the day I am sure it was still there then. years after it was painted.
Had a lunch time walk round this area today. Couldn't find any sign of the mural, so it looks like it got demolished during some phase of the renovation of the area.