Let's Help Deano Choose a New Car | Page 2 | Vital Football

Let's Help Deano Choose a New Car

Model X 7 seater (financing over 10 years so the extra seats cost just £20 a month) 75D. Part of the deal is free supercharging as long as we own the car and I have a supercharger just down the road from work. No frills but it's a car with quite a few frills as standard.

I've seen it reviewed, and yes a very nice car with much included anyway.

The Jag would have been a nice option, but I suppose it's not out yet.

Lovely car. I am officially jealous. It costs a fortune here.

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 14/3/2018 16:19

What did you get Ian. I still can't find one that meets all my needs.

Edit - hahaha. The picture hadn't loaded. Wow. You really went for it. Wouldn't the Hyundai have been cheaper?

Hyundai doesn't have (free)supercharging or financing at just 1,48% and only manages about half the distance per charge. With the cold winters here in Norway that means that my wife (who will use the car 5 days in every 10 working days) wouldn't manage to get to work and back, with the Tesla she can not only manage that but drives past 2 superchargers each way so can always top up (at no cost) if necessary.

I forgot about the cold weather factor. It's a smaller car as well.

The Tesla cost over £100,000 here. How cheap are they selling them for in Norway? It seems a bit unfair!!!!!

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 14/3/2018 16:23

I've seen it reviewed, and yes a very nice car with much included anyway.

The Jag would have been a nice option, but I suppose it's not out yet.

Lovely car. I am officially jealous. It costs a fortune here.

It's not cheap here, (I'll send you a PM with the cost). The Jag would have been lovely but again, no supercharging, which makes a huge difference both in terms of running costs and convenience when you are out and about. Once warm the Tesla batteries will charge to 80% in about 30 mins. 80% is recommended for every day use as it allows the computer do rotate battery use, prelonging their life. 100% is only recommended for long trips.

Yeah, it's the same with smartphones. You're better off topping them up and taking them off charge at 80-90%, but everyone ignores it.

I don't know if Norway have anyone doing similar, but my friends changed electricity company and got loads of free charges as part of that deal.

If it all works out for you, as it seems to, then go for it. It is a lovely car, and I am 100% behind the your environmental assistance.

I think I'm still looking at hybrid, but hoping to make it a plug in version. The only one that fits the bill is a VW Passat, but I'm not that keen on the car itself. Hopefully there will be loads more to choose from this year.

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 14/3/2018 16:26

I forgot about the cold weather factor. It's a smaller car as well.

The Tesla cost over £100,000 here. How cheap are they selling them for in Norway? It seems a bit unfair!!!!!

It's cheaper here due to the government not taxing them, road tax is only about £40 a year too, where as I pay £320 for a diesel car. An eqivalent BMW would cost about £100,000 plus over here, so rather than being the expensive choice they are actually the cheaper option. As mentioned, monthly payments will only be a little more than current running costs for our 10 year old diesel Touran and running costs for a Tesla are almost zero.

I hope the UK Government sees the light. There is a subsidy in place - a few thousand I think - but if they really want electric to take off they have to do more, and solve the lack of charging points. Road tax is zero on some, so that's good.

Of course, the greenest thing you could do is buy a secondhand car. :56: :56: :56: :56: :56: :56:

I have a second hand car thank you, I want something shiney and new. lol

It is a bit of a dilemma, though, isn't it.

I have a car that does about 45mpg, which is reasonable for a petrol engine. It is a perfectly good car. Comfortable, spacious, all the gadgets, fast, when I want it to be. So far, reliable (thinking of Col's post above on thi and hope I haven't jinxed it). It is probably greener to keep it until it falls apart than buy a new electric car, and financially I wouldn't get back the purchase price any time soon through fuel savings.

I think I just want a new car, which is very, very selfish!!!!!

I'm half thinking of getting a new truck. Toyota are launching a luxury version of the Hilux so I'll check that out. Merc have also launched a pick-up but I don't know what it will be priced like if it ever comes out here.

BodyButter - 14/3/2018 16:38

I'm half thinking of getting a new truck. Toyota are launching a luxury version of the Hilux so I'll check that out. Merc have also launched a pick-up but I don't know what it will be priced like if it ever comes out here.

Aren't Tesla meant to be preparing a truck for general sale? :56: :56:

It does, rocket fuel...! I've never been so happy! Obviously all within the speed limits though!

:76:

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 15/3/2018 01:39

BodyButter - 14/3/2018 16:38

Aren't Tesla meant to be preparing a truck for general sale? :56: :56:

Yeah, they have a big rig coming soon. I'd buy an electric pick-up truck if someone would make one. All that torque would be fantastic off road.

Elon Musk has pushed ahead with his semi. It's popping out all over the internet:

https://electrek.co/2018/03/15/tesla-semi-electric-truck-prototype-electric-motors/amp/

I did mean the pick up when I said truck. He says the Model Y takes priority at the moment, but it's in the works. Given that the Ford F150 is the best selling vehicle in the States, I would think it should be more urgent, but then Ian told ne that they sell more in Norway than the States, and they are sensible people, who buy cars. :59: :59: :59:

I'm not so sure about the sensible bit but they do buy cars. lol