League Reform Plans | Page 11 | Vital Football

League Reform Plans

Not read the detail but I assume the 50 million is a loan pot that you dip into if required rather than a straight split between the 48

So part of the price they'll spend on just one average player to be divided between 48 full time football clubs with around 1,250 professional footballers between them.
Hmm.

Grants and interest free loans. No other detail I don’t think.
Definition of a grant by Premier League? Most of the clubs who need a loan can't get one and even if it interest free will not be able to pay it back. This may look better once the full package is agreed. I think the lesson is stick to the wage cap, only spend the money you have as very soon the tv money in whatever format is likely to deplete when a European League becomes a reality. (At short notice)(maybe less than 3 years) . It will be a good thing as long as clubs don't fold and given the state of the Championship that is highly unlikely.

Bailout rejected by the EFL.

"EFL Clubs have today met by division to discuss the conditional offer put forward yesterday by the Premier League in respect to the financial support required as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The need for continued unity across the membership base was fundamental to discussions across all three divisions, and therefore there was a strong consensus that any rescue package must meet the requirements of all 72 Clubs before it can be considered in full.

The League has been very clear in its discussions of the financial requirements needed to address lost gate receipts in 2019/20 and 2020/21, and while EFL Clubs are appreciative that a formal proposal has now been put forward, the conditional offer of £50million falls some way short of this.

The EFL is keen to continue discussions with the Premier League to reach an agreeable solution that will address the short-term financial needs of all of our Clubs and allow us the ability to consider the longer-term economic issues in parallel that specifically look to achieve a more sustainable EFL for the future.

There will be no further comment at this time."

So Andy Holt was “sickened “ by what he read in the details according to his tweet.
It emerges that the FA chairman floated the idea of Premier League 2, B teams in the EFL and combining leagues 1&2 with National League & NL North & South.
I would suggest as the FA is supposed to be the guardian of the grassroots game his position must be untenable. Doesn’t hold much hope for the so called FA golden share protecting our interests which was held up a a future protection in the PBP proposals

What isn't helping the cause either is that some Championship Club's are continuing to spend silly money.

According to their local media, Cardiff are paying a £1.25m loan fee for Harry Wilson from Liverpool and covering his £60k/week wages in full. That's why the PL don't want to include that league in a bailout.

This latest £50m offer sounds like a power grab from the PL20 rather than \ power grab from the '6' in the initial ideas floated. I don't quite understand the need for strings attached when most of it is a loan. It's another way of trying to get their way for no additional spend.

Also Greg Clarke...what hope have we got when even the top dogs at the FA, who're supposed to look after the English football pyramid, float ideas around PL2 and B sides?

What isn't helping the cause either is that some Championship Club's are continuing to spend silly money.

According to their local media, Cardiff are paying a £1.25m loan fee for Harry Wilson from Liverpool and covering his £60k/week wages in full. That's why the PL don't want to include that league in a bailout.

This latest £50m offer sounds like a power grab from the PL20 rather than \ power grab from the '6' in the initial ideas floated. I don't quite understand the need for strings attached when most of it is a loan. It's another way of trying to get their way for no additional spend.
PL claim no strings attached, believe what you will !!

Now nits gathering momentum you can bet the pl teams are going to use the current economic to stick the knives in. Ripping the very fabric of what makes the pyramid such a good system. So much greed and very little foresight. I just hope the smaller clubs who are obviously hurting at present dont go down the road the big six wants. The championship dont help matters with the money they are spending . We need to keep the pyramid sustainable and in place all clubs have dreams to move up. lets not let their dreams die

Last edited:
It's like watching a horror movie unfold with all the conflicting reports, governing bodies, independent observers, power plays and general moves starting to emerge.

I dread to think and have no clue how this will all end but I do fear a PL2 where the rest of the clubs are officially cast aside rather than the difficulties of bridging the financial gap that currently exists. Whether that is being overly sensitive to a worse case scenario or a genuine threat is anybody's guess.

I have liked the idea of the German licensing system for a long time and I was not aware that the Spanish government had stepped in with legislation to prevent their big two hoovering up the lion's share of the TV money. Very interesting. That gets me wondering if TV money distribution could legally be legislated into something akin to The Competition Commission to prevent unfair commercial advantage.

If it's good enough for Tesco's and Aldi it should have relevance to Liverpool and Tranmere. The tricky bit is (grits teeth) rewarding the success of clubs fairly and not hampering them from competing financially with other European clubs.

This is going to run for a long while and all the time Covid is eating away at ever dwindling resources. Short term emergency relief package from someone NOW please, w/o strings attached.

It's like watching a horror movie unfold with all the conflicting reports, governing bodies, independent observers, power plays and general moves starting to emerge.

I dread to think and have no clue how this will all end but I do fear a PL2 where the rest of the clubs are officially cast aside rather than the difficulties of bridging the financial gap that currently exists. Whether that is being overly sensitive to a worse case scenario or a genuine threat is anybody's guess.

I have liked the idea of the German licensing system for a long time and I was not aware that the Spanish government had stepped in with legislation to prevent their big two hoovering up the lion's share of the TV money. Very interesting. That gets me wondering if TV money distribution could legally be legislated into something akin to The Competition Commission to prevent unfair commercial advantage.

If it's good enough for Tesco's and Aldi it should have relevance to Liverpool and Tranmere. The tricky bit is (grits teeth) rewarding the success of clubs fairly and not hampering them from competing financially with other European clubs.

This is going to run for a long while and all the time Covid is eating away at ever dwindling resources. Short term emergency relief package from someone NOW please, w/o strings attached.

Well said and spot on.