League 2 Signings | Page 2 | Vital Football

League 2 Signings

Evans will also be aware of high well Chapman played for us at the end of the season. A better wage offer, the prospect of being number one, and it’s not that surprising.

I think the most surprising thing is he’s in L2. I though his performances since February would get him a L1 offer.

I could understand if he went to a more southerly team in L1. But dropping to L2 means it’s purely a money thing, and good luck to him on that score.

He’s actually been signed by SE 3 times now. Don’t think he played him much at Peterboro either.

It's pretty clear what happened, isn't it? Evans will have said to Chapman when he left: "I'll pay you more next season, wherever I am". Chapman accepts, then tells Harris he wants to be closer his family. Technically he is, a little! I'm not bothered. If he doesn't want to be here, we don't want him.

It's pretty clear what happened, isn't it? Evans will have said to Chapman when he left: "I'll pay you more next season, wherever I am". Chapman accepts, then tells Harris he wants to be closer his family. Technically he is, a little! I'm not bothered. If he doesn't want to be here, we don't want him.

Could be. But surely if an offer from SE was already there, rather than Aaron saying “I want to move north” (ie don’t bother trying to sign me), he should have said “I’ve got an offer of £xx, if you can beat that I’ll sign on”.

Anyway, all water under the bridge. I’m with Lancs in that I reckon NH will get a better keeper in. Aaron Chapman was decent for 3 months, but we’ve had probably 3 or 4 better keepers over the last few seasons.

Have to say that I’m a bit disappointed in Aaron. We heard a big play about him wanting to return up north to his family in Sheffield, yet he’s gone to Stevenage. I guess it’s an hour closer to Sheffield but must be a good three hours away from there. Why not just be honest and say he didn’t want to play for us or wanted to make a sideways/backward move for more money?

Where do we think Big V will be going then, as his reason was pretty similar.

Cambridge United perhaps?

I seem to remember Robbie Savage being ridiculed for using this tactic, I think it was when leaving Brum for Blackburn which was actually further away from his family home.

Your contract is over, so you can go where you like. Just don't treat the fans like mugs.

Last edited:

I seem to remember Robbie Savage being ridiculed for using this tactic, I think it was when leaving Brum for Blackburn which was actually further away from his family home.

Your contract is over, so you can go where you like. Just don't treat the fans like mugs.
Iffy did that once.
Said reason for leaving was to move back up north then signed for Swindon 😂

There's a whole thread on their fan site about our released players. They'd quite like Oliver, but he'd need to understand he'd be third choice behind Norris and List....

But, do we really care that much, GB. The guys are professionals, primarily and understandably, looking out for themselves and their families. We`re not owed an explanation from any players leaving GFC - they can say what they like or choose to say nothing at all. Personally, I couldn`t care less.....

To answer your question though, and the rumour and speculation narrative is much more fun, I wouldn`t be surprised to see Vadaine land back in the North - maybe with Stockport or Bradford City.

Someone on Kent online is blaming Scally 😂
Won’t match Stevenage wages apparently.

I saw that one too. Priceless.

Scally is the ultimate scapegoat. Taken it to a whole new level.

There are clearly things that Scally gets wrong - sometimes repeatedly. But when these muppets blame him for these sorts of things it really undermines their credibility and outs them as anti-GFC.

There's a whole thread on their fan site about our released players. They'd quite like Oliver, but he'd need to understand he'd be third choice behind Norris and List....

😂

But they are not the first lower league fans giving it the old “he’s not good enough for us”. Remember Wrexham fans saying the same back in Jan.

Personally, I think if Gills were ever linked to a striker that had scored 20 goals in a season (any league from NL up) I’d be super impressed and hopeful of landing that player. How fans of L2 and NL clubs can turn their nose up at a proven L1 scorer I find astonishing.

Stevenage is much better travel wise for yorkshire etc both by rail and car. Direct fast train and A1.

Speaking of Stevenage again. They’ve announced a 4th signing. Latest is Carl Piergianni from Peterboro. 30yo and I think all 4 have been 30+. Sounds like SE is going for mega experience. An old folks home someone on Twitter called them 😂