League 1 Next Season | Page 3 | Vital Football

League 1 Next Season

It's a bit boring Ipswich & probably Bolton coming to L1 as both places visited with the Imps in the not too distant past! Would have been nice to have a new ground

I think this is true. The only guaranteed L1 teams so far are us and Ipswich!

You're right in terms of mathematically but Oxford looks least likely to go up or down. Should have slipped to the probables not the definitelys

Either way, a few grounds to reacquaint ourselves with and a few new grounds for some.

The bizarre thing though is that some of the League 1 grounds are a lot smaller than many we've been to this season. Fleetwood, Burton for example are tiny compared to Carlsile/Swindon and quite a few others.

Might make getting away tickets at some matches a problem. Oh well nice problem to have

Don't think the third tier will be quite as tough last time.
Like so many leagues seem to be three leagues in one, top 6/7 then next 6/7, then the rest.
The third tier in 98-99 was a monster. There were about 10 really well financed clubs. Next season I reckon the play off teams who don't go up will be the only real quality.

Yeah, me too. I work up there and would love a trip to the Stadium of Light.

Why is it called the Stadium of Light?

I know Benfica have that as their stadium, so did Sunderland simply copy it and if so why on Earth copy Benfica??
Was in fact the Sunderland ground built on the site of an old light bulb factory perhaps?

From wikipedia:

The name was eventually revealed as the Stadium of Light at a naming ceremony on 30 July 1997, hours before the opening game against Ajax.[13] Speaking at the naming event, Bob Murray explained the inspiration for the name came from the Coal mining heritage of the region and the stadium's Monkwearmouth Colliery site:

"For many years, miners at Wearmouth Colliery carried with them a Davy lamp as part of their working lives. Reflecting this tradition, the name allows the image of this light to shine forever."

Why is it called the Stadium of Light?

I know Benfica have that as their stadium, so did Sunderland simply copy it and if so why on Earth copy Benfica??
Was in fact the Sunderland ground built on the site of an old light bulb factory perhaps?
I seem to remember they took Benfica as their inspiration. Of course as you probably know it is referred to as the Stadium of Shite in Newcastle.

In amongst all the radio interviews yesterday (Clive, Roger, Liam)- there was one snippet which detailed the current club thinking around next season.

Liam discussed there have been two board meetings this week and the decision made was to NOT increase the stadium capacity for next season (except, enigmatically, tweak a couple of hundred extra seats but no more elaboration- may be we will build a TV stand and get back the TV gantry in the Coop) but to consolidate and see where next season takes us.

This looks like there is a recognition we will not have a playing budget to match Portsmouth, Sunderland (which isn't surprising).

Also, and perhaps I read too many conspiracy theories but Liam also said he "hoped the club can meet the ambitions of the Cowleys" - additional investment needed of at least £1 million for next season, which the club believes it will get.

So
Ground capacity to remain unchanged with a very minor tweak for next season
We need more investment for next season

Thought it was a good, honest interview from Liam Sculley

I do understand the capacity issue and let’s be honest the club is hoping to move into a new stadium at some point so why invest radically into SB.

However our avg. attendance is like to be around 9,000 next season which firmly puts us into a top 10 position in League 1.

Interesting that no teams currently in League 1 will definitely be there next season. Although out of all the divisions in English football it is the one that sees the most change each year with 3 up and 4 down - that’s 30% of the division changing each season. 4 down also makes me think about that magic 50 point total for safety, must be a little higher in League 1!

In amongst all the radio interviews yesterday (Clive, Roger, Liam)- there was one snippet which detailed the current club thinking around next season.

Liam discussed there have been two board meetings this week and the decision made was to NOT increase the stadium capacity for next season (except, enigmatically, tweak a couple of hundred extra seats but no more elaboration- may be we will build a TV stand and get back the TV gantry in the Coop) but to consolidate and see where next season takes us.

This looks like there is a recognition we will not have a playing budget to match Portsmouth, Sunderland (which isn't surprising).

Also, and perhaps I read too many conspiracy theories but Liam also said he "hoped the club can meet the ambitions of the Cowleys" - additional investment needed of at least £1 million for next season, which the club believes it will get.

So
Ground capacity to remain unchanged with a very minor tweak for next season
We need more investment for next season

Thought it was a good, honest interview from Liam Sculley
They took the decision last year not to increase capacity, apparently because we didn’t win the play offs. Not increasing it after this season makes you wonder what it would take to make the decision to increase.

Currently, interest in the club is highest for god knows how long, but people being able to get in and pay to watch is about to level off.

It is a total false economy, because people that start buying-in now are a potential income stream for years and years to come.

They took the decision last year not to increase capacity, apparently because we didn’t win the play offs. Not increasing it after this season makes you wonder what it would take to make the decision to increase.

Currently, interest in the club is highest for god knows how long, but people being able to get in and pay to watch is about to level off.

It is a total false economy, because people that start buying-in now are a potential income stream for years and years to come.

Guess it's timescales.
Apart from the small enhancements Liam mentioned, the only other things that could be done are either double the Stacey West (or replace with a new larger stand), which puts that end out of action until work finished.
Or replace whole of St Andrews side with say another co-op. Again puts a whole side of ground out of action for a while.

Only shorter term option is fill in gap between Stacey West & Selenity with a temporary stand. That could be done close season you would think but only if already planned & approved and work ready to commence day after season's end.
So if we're not ready now, then guess no choice but to delay until next close season.

But agree that expansion urgently needed.

Guess it's timescales.
Apart from the small enhancements Liam mentioned, the only other things that could be done are either double the Stacey West (or replace with a new larger stand), which puts that end out of action until work finished.
Or replace whole of St Andrews side with say another co-op. Again puts a whole side of ground out of action for a while.

Only shorter term option is fill in gap between Stacey West & Selenity with a temporary stand. That could be done close season you would think but only if already planned & approved and work ready to commence day after season's end.
So if we're not ready now, then guess no choice but to delay until next close season.

re: short term... the temporary option was either looked into and the board have erred on the side of caution - i.e. aiming for mid-table league 1/survival and expecting crowds to go down a little. not expecting a top 7 challenge, where ticket demand would shoot up another level.

or it was looked into and not even possible. or it was not looked into.

but there certainly has been time to plan it. it is not like promotion has come as a last minute thing.

presumably a business/finance decision over a 'allowing more imps fans to see the imps' decision. have to say it is a delicate balancing act.

Guess it's timescales.

If we are to stay at Sincil Bank then the only sensible option is to replace the Selenity IMO. It would be silly increasing behind the goals and leaving that Subbuteo stand there.

That single change would (when built) immediately bring us into the 15k area.

The problem with any stand redevelopment is that it would temporarily reduce capacity while the work was done. Clearly if we are to stay at the Bank the St Andrews needs replacing (with temporary loss of all the other resources in that stand as well as the capacity), but there is no good time to do this work.