League 1 Next Season | Page 4 | Vital Football

League 1 Next Season

From wikipedia:

The name was eventually revealed as the Stadium of Light at a naming ceremony on 30 July 1997, hours before the opening game against Ajax.[13] Speaking at the naming event, Bob Murray explained the inspiration for the name came from the Coal mining heritage of the region and the stadium's Monkwearmouth Colliery site:

"For many years, miners at Wearmouth Colliery carried with them a Davy lamp as part of their working lives. Reflecting this tradition, the name allows the image of this light to shine forever."

No Sunderland supporter could quite believe it when the name came out. Apart from being the same, via translation, as Benfica's it just seemed embarrassing.
The Wearmouth Stadium was the obvious choice, representing the river we stand on and the Wearmouth Colliery site the ground is built on. Mind, I'm hearing we could be getting a sponsor's name for the ground next season, probably The BetFred Stadium or some such.

The problem with any stand redevelopment is that it would temporarily reduce capacity while the work was done. Clearly if we are to stay at the Bank the St Andrews needs replacing (with temporary loss of all the other resources in that stand as well as the capacity), but there is no good time to do this work.
Could there be a cunning way of designing a stand of the Coop size that could be built wings first, still using the Selenity, and then using the wings whilst rebuilding the selenity?

It would at best need careful planning - and that great bugbearr, keeping to a strict schedule... Maybe even scheduling to give ample time to make safe prior to match days...

Could there be a cunning way of designing a stand of the Coop size that could be built wings first, still using the Selenity, and then using the wings whilst rebuilding the selenity?

It would at best need careful planning - and that great bugbearr, keeping to a strict schedule... Maybe even scheduling to give ample time to make safe prior to match days...

I was wondering f something similar could be done behind the SW, building an up-an-over second tier, and bringing that into use before closing and integrating the existing stand.

I'd love us to have Sunderland next year. Ipswich are a big club but Sunderland are proper aren't they, old school football royalty. Playing them in a league game would be a hell of a thing.

Yep. my first game watching the Imps was v Sunderland in Div 2 (now championship)

So build the Stacey West end of new St Andrew's first...then build the South Park end...and then do the new middle?

Guess full cantilever roof is an issue with that, but i like the literally lateral thinking !

First of all lose the Astro Turf Training Pitch, this area could temporary hold (or provide a permanent home) a number of Facilities including Offices, Shop, Bar/s, Fan Zone, hospitality.
Then, redevelop the BM Stand. This affects the least amount of fans, and they could still be moved elsewhere in the ground. The Bar and Fan Zone have already been moved around to the Astro Turf. This does mean losing the Executive Boxes, so match-day hospitality will need a temporary rethink; and in taking full advantage of the current space behind the BM Stand would probably rule out future plans for an access road to and from South Park.
Next redevelop the Stacey West, all capacity to be moved to the newly developed BM Stand, this may see a reduced capacity for the car park. This would also include temporary changing rooms for the next development.
Finally redevelop the Selenity Stand side of the ground, two redeveloped stands behind each goal can take the capacity from this stand, offices and shop are already catered for on the Astro Turf. There maybe some small impact on the Co-op Stand with having to find a temporary home for the Press Section and probably the Directors as well.

That all seems fairly simple, apart from getting Planning Permission, finding the cash and a thousand other things that could get in the way!

First of all lose the Astro Turf Training Pitch, this area could temporary hold (or provide a permanent home) a number of Facilities including Offices, Shop, Bar/s, Fan Zone, hospitality.
Then, redevelop the BM Stand. This affects the least amount of fans, and they could still be moved elsewhere in the ground. The Bar and Fan Zone have already been moved around to the Astro Turf. This does mean losing the Executive Boxes, so match-day hospitality will need a temporary rethink; and in taking full advantage of the current space behind the BM Stand would probably rule out future plans for an access road to and from South Park.
Next redevelop the Stacey West, all capacity to be moved to the newly developed BM Stand, this may see a reduced capacity for the car park. This would also include temporary changing rooms for the next development.
Finally redevelop the Selenity Stand side of the ground, two redeveloped stands behind each goal can take the capacity from this stand, offices and shop are already catered for on the Astro Turf. There maybe some small impact on the Co-op Stand with having to find a temporary home for the Press Section and probably the Directors as well.

That all seems fairly simple, apart from getting Planning Permission, finding the cash and a thousand other things that could get in the way!
Lets start with your second paragraph. True may effect the lowest number of fans, but the exec boxes bring in a lot of monies.. 10 x £12k so losing £120k revenue per season plus none day match revenue with facilities in the BMcF so add another say £50,k (Thats min figures by the way,).

Forgot to add you have to add in the redevelopment costs, lets say £500k. So that's close to £750k.....

I'm hoping Walsall stay up - one of the closest for me

Yes Bescot one of my closest too.
Shrewsbury becomes my new home game.
Wouldnt mind Wigan dropping down, not seen us at their current stadium.
We'd also be given loads of tickets as they don't have too many fans.

Not seen us at The Valley or Donny's new one. Trying to remember if I've seen us at Fratton Park...did we go there in the 80s?

Gillingham has been rebuilt since Iast saw us there. Likewise Blackpool (what's the betting Blackpool is a Tuesday night in February!).

Do not want to go to Scunny, definitely hoping for their relegation. And providing that happens (and Mansfield don't follow us up), guess Posh become our new main local derby, followed by Barnsley if they stay don't along with Rotherham if they come down.

Plymouth away will be interesting. Weekend in Devon for many I expect if it's a Saturday match. Another ground rebuilt since I last went there.

Anyone else looking forward already to the new fixtures? ???

Yes Bescot one of my closest too.
Shrewsbury becomes my new home game.
Wouldnt mind Wigan dropping down, not seen us at their current stadium.
We'd also be given loads of tickets as they don't have too many fans.

Not seen us at The Valley or Donny's new one. Trying to remember if I've seen us at Fratton Park...did we go there in the 80s?

Gillingham has been rebuilt since Iast saw us there. Likewise Blackpool (what's the betting Blackpool is a Tuesday night in February!).

Do not want to go to Scunny, definitely hoping for their relegation. And providing that happens (and Mansfield don't follow us up), guess Posh become our new main local derby, followed by Barnsley if they stay don't along with Rotherham if they come down.

Plymouth away will be interesting. Weekend in Devon for many I expect if it's a Saturday match. Another ground rebuilt since I last went there.

Anyone else looking forward already to the new fixtures? ???

Yup

Happily scanning lower regions of Championship and who may be moving from L1. For same geographical reasons would be happy with Wigan coming down (only time I went was to the old Springfield Park), Rochdale, Accrington, Shrewsbury (never been to new ground) and Walsall staying up, and Tranmere coming up with us.

Fleetwood would be a new one for me (shame the delighful Mr Barton probably won't be in residence :ROFLMAO:) and not been to Blackpool in donkey's years. Beats Southport!

Happy days!

Lets start with your second paragraph. True may effect the lowest number of fans, but the exec boxes bring in a lot of monies.. 10 x £12k so losing £120k revenue per season plus none day match revenue with facilities in the BMcF so add another say £50,k (Thats min figures by the way,).

Hmm, very good points.
Realistically then, and to minimise capacity loss, a Stacey West rebuild is probably the best first step.
No offices in it. No facilities. No hospitality or commercial income. Space already behind it.
If work starts asap at end of next season, then should be plausible to finish in reasonable time? If it heads into August, then maybe have first 3 or 4 home fixtures reversed...or run with 8000 or so capacity (which was plenty enough at any time in last forty years except for current era!!).

A new Stacey West alone may actually prove sufficient. But if not, then at least we will have covered current Selenity capacity in a doubled Stacey West and could proceed next with a full replacement of the whole of the St Andrews side.

This all needs a lot of cash but if the attendances continue and grow more, then it has to be self funding expansion in the long term you would think?
A new Stacey West could have a decent bar area inside it and maybe include a central layer of boxes to match the South Park ones and give a really good increase in commercial income...(we must be turning away of lot of such business at the moment).

Forgot to add you have to add in the redevelopment costs, lets say £500k. So that's close to £750k.....
Which is why I said "match-day hospitality will need a temporary rethink", or would they go for a short term hit on finances knowing the completed redevelopment could easily make up for it long term.
Also, don't forget my idea for using the Astro Turf area to make up for losing the other facilities.

Yup

Happily scanning lower regions of Championship and who may be moving from L1. For same geographical reasons would be happy with Wigan coming down (only time I went was to the old Springfield Park), Rochdale, Accrington, Shrewsbury (never been to new ground) and Walsall staying up, and Tranmere coming up with us.

Fleetwood would be a new one for me (shame the delighful Mr Barton probably won't be in residence :ROFLMAO:) and not been to Blackpool in donkey's years. Beats Southport!

Happy days!

Mr Barton could well be in residence somewhere soon, won't be anywhere need Fleetwood though !

Its a pity Bradford are all bar goners and Rochdale and Scunny and Rochdale are vying to join them. Barnsley and Donny could yet go up, that set of fixtures with Rotherham coming down from Championship would be awesome in my opinion.