Kolo Toure | Page 26 | Vital Football

Kolo Toure

Did Toure actually apply for the post or was he approached by the club?

Kolo Toure:

"Yaya is doing his coaching badges right now, which is a good opportunity for him in the game," he said.

"I think he's maybe better off waiting and preparing himself a little bit longer before he makes the move.

"I have been preparing for a lot longer, I finished my playing career much earlier, and so I feel ready to make this big step.

"His time will come, and I'm sure whenever that comes,
he will be a success."

Last edited:
"Mal proud of diverse new look management team-but it was not a factor in the selection process."

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/fo...-selection-process-wigan-athletic-ceo-3945946

Why would MB say that? He seems to be defending the appointments.

Did Toure actually apply for the post or was he approached by the club?

It's not clear but from all the comments I've read around it I do get the impression that the club may have reached out to him. We probably reached out to a number of others that we've not heard about, some of which probably declined.

From listening to and reading the various interviews done yesterday, you can tell Kolo's been around a winning environment his entire playing and coaching career. Very matter-of-fact and knows what he wants to, and feels he is going to achieve with this group of players.

Certainly no umming and ahing or making excuses about how difficult a task staying up with the squad he's inheriting is going to be. Whether that remains the case after the upcoming Christmas slog remains to be seen.

Interesting to hear this from Mike Minay on Radio Manchester last night: "The long-ball, 'hoof-it-up-to-Magennis' didn't gain Leam Richardson many fans at board level."

Confirming what a lot of us suspected, that the way in which we played contributed to Leam's demise as much as the results themselves. Maybe the mysterious Bahrain trip was to try and convince Leam to try a different approach but the Watford, Stoke and Coventry defeats were evidence enough to the board that it clearly wasn't going to happen.

I wouldn't normally want the board to overrule coaching professionals on style of play, or any aspect of the playing team beyond recruitment but it had become so desperate that I couldn't blame them for having words and, if those words weren't heeded, going in a different direction with the business they're paying a lot of money into.

Interesting comments from Mike Minay, but not surprising as the long ball style was so poorly utilised it was impossible to make work.

As frustrating as it was for us watching in the stands as fans i imagine you'd be going mad at it if you were the owner and it could cost you over 6m if you get relegated.

I'm glad there is a concerted effort to try and play football moving forward - the game is evolving and playing long ball at this level is incredibly difficult to make work. Pace and movement are the 2 things that are vital and they were 2 things we completely lacked.

The need for pace and mobility in the new system makes me feel it's more likely now that we will recall at least Humphrys and McGrath in January, and maybe even Jones. I also imagine the door will now be more open to Fletcher and Scully, though maybe not straight away.

It's the start of a new era for Latics,
we have a new Manager and management team.

It will take time for them to find the right players to play their style of football, it may be the case that it will take
1 or 2 transfer windows to achieve their target.

I think Kolo Toure will have a 'budget' for some new players this January, we will then find out, how much the owners want to stay in the Championship.

We can't expect instant success, hopefully that will soon come, when they get the right players.

Leam Richardson will always be remembered for all his hard work that he did for us during 'Admin' .

The Owners of the Club have decided to take action to take the Club in a 'New Direction' for the future,
let's hope it's a successful one for Latics.

The need for pace and mobility in the new system makes me feel it's more likely now that we will recall at least Humphrys and McGrath in January, and maybe even Jones. I also imagine the door will now be more open to Fletcher and Scully, though maybe not straight away.

I think there are certainly good players in all 5 of them - lots of untapped potential we can hopefully bring out.

I was thinking exactly the same. I read the summary on Wigan Today but it would have been nice to hear from them directly.
Why on earth would they do that? That would have been demonstrating good communication skills and would be sort of marketing the club. They haven't got the first and don't do any of the second.

There were rumours this Mon was going to get us playing the Martinez way. Well it's certainly getting us the same results.

Hands are tied this team is Richardson league one team and it is showing
Might be too late too stay up
But if he brings in a bit of quality you never know what might happen in january

Neil Critchley has more points in one game than Kolo has in four. :ROFLMAO:

I’m saying four not three because we certainly won’t be winning Thursday. Bet Ross Stewart is licking his lips.

Neil Critchley has more points in one game than Kolo has in four. :ROFLMAO:

I’m saying four not three because we certainly won’t be winning Thursday. Bet Ross Stewart is licking his lips.

I am dreading this game, the way we're playing, the away end packed with these absolute gobshites & after watching our Boro display it'll be a long hard night.....I unfortunately / fortunately have a pre booked trip away but will be watching thinking the worst...

I was expecting something different but it's the same old same old. One up top with no winger is just shite giving same results.
What a crap appointment when there were experienced managers looking for work.

I was expecting something different but it's the same old same old. One up top with no winger is just shite giving same results.
What a crap appointment when there were experienced managers looking for work.
I don't blame toure ill wait and see type of players he brings in before I spi
t dummy out
And I don't think the board were willing to give Richardson money

I am dreading this game, the way we're playing, the away end packed with these absolute gobshites & after watching our Boro display it'll be a long hard night.....I unfortunately / fortunately have a pre booked trip away but will be watching thinking the worst...
I’m expecting a repeat of last seasons game jock.

I don't blame toure ill wait and see type of players he brings in before I spi
t dummy out
And I don't think the board were willing to give Richardson money
And from what the great and the good on the 12th man are saying, there’s little scope for improving the squad next month either.