Kolo Toure | Vital Football

Kolo Toure

Corrected ... ;)

If only!

Wouldn’t have even got an interview if I was involved in the process given he hits none of the key criteria. We’ve made some bizarre appointments in the last decade, none of which have worked out, and don’t expect anything different this time around.

Oh well, who doesn’t enjoy a league one tour?

I hope and pray that these "lawyers" find some discrepancy to halt this ridiculous appointment.

Talal, Brannigan etc gives your heads a wobble! Absolutely bloody bonkers!

No one knows for sure about what exactly has been going on behind the scenes over the last few months but it did come across that interest and commitment from the ownership had faded a bit.

But the decision to try and change manager, then go with Toure when there were cheaper, easier and arguably safter appointments really does make it look like the ownership are still engaged. Which regardless of if you think this is the right appointment is a positive sign to see. Toure is very much the ownerships 'project' now - they are putting their neck out on this, so they will be keen to try and do what they can to make this work to prove they got it right.

Whatever Toure said in his interview seems to have really convinced the ownership that he is worth not just taking the gamble but paying a premium for it.

On paper this move is far riskier than i'd have gone for personally, but football is a funny game - you never know what can happen. So hopefully it will turn out to be a visionary appointment.

Brilliant appointment. Bit of class around the place. Can’t believe some of our fans. International manager played at the top level. No guarantee in football. But one thing we will be is more. Professional. That’s for sure. Sure some of the older fans will remember. GORDON MILNE. ALAN BROWN. LARRY Lloyd Steve Bruce. All international footballers. Three first time managers some of the best teams we have ever had. It’s called being run professional. And have contacts.

Brilliant appointment. Bit of class around the place. Can’t believe some of our fans. International manager played at the top level. No guarantee in football. But one thing we will be is more. Professional. That’s for sure. Sure some of the older fans will remember. GORDON MILNE. ALAN BROWN. LARRY Lloyd Steve Bruce. All international footballers. Three first time managers some of the best teams we have ever had. It’s called being run professional. And have contacts.

I don't mean to be funny Ooooooo, but to label the teams under Gordon Milne, Alan Brown and Larry Lloyd as "some of the best" means putting a certain definition or caveat on the word "best".
Nice to watch? ... possibly.
Stylish? ... maybe.
Personal favourite? ... absolutely, why not ... that's what opinions are for.
But actual "best"? ... maybe Bruce's team would vie with Jewell's first season, or Martinez's sporadic wonders, but not the other 3 given the standard at which they played.

You didn’t watch them teams then. Your missing the point. Everything about the club was run professional. It’s who you can attract. To the club. As much as a nice man Richardson he’s not in the same league. For attracting players. They was loyal to Richardson. But only one way we was going with him in charge. Was back we’re we come from. Looking at it from out side. Looks like he told the owners that his chosen 15 players would keep us up. And they gave him a chance due to loyalty.

You didn’t watch them teams then. Your missing the point. Everything about the club was run professional. It’s who you can attract. To the club. As much as a nice man Richardson he’s not in the same league. For attracting players. They was loyal to Richardson. But only one way we was going with him in charge. Was back we’re we come from. Looking at it from out side. Looks like he told the owners that his chosen 15 players would keep us up. And they gave him a chance due to loyalty.
I do wonder how Paul Cook got Kieffer Moore, Jamal Lowe & Reece James. Cook's not a big name. Mystery.

You say you can't understand fans who don't share your optimism but surely you recognise hiring anyone with no managerial or L1 experience is a gamble?

The game is littered with top players who failed as managers and one of the worst appointments we ever had was taking a gamble on a first time manager in Joyce.

You certainly don't have to agree that this will go the same way, we all hope it doesn't, but it's not hard to see why some folks are skeptical.

You say you can't understand fans who don't share your optimism but surely you recognise hiring anyone with no managerial or L1 experience is a gamble?

The game is littered with top players who failed as managers and one of the worst appointments we ever had was taking a gamble on a first time manager in Joyce.

You certainly don't have to agree that this will go the same way, we all hope it doesn't, but it's not hard to see why some folks are skeptical.
You can’t put Joyce in the same bracket as this lad

Gordon Milne, Alan Bown, and Larry Lloyd al made a massive difference in style, behaviour, quality etc. They raised our club status and gave us fans a really good feeling that was special. Professionally the change was fantastic. This appointment can do that again. Bring it on asap please

I don't mean to be funny Ooooooo, but to label the teams under Gordon Milne, Alan Brown and Larry Lloyd as "some of the best" means putting a certain definition or caveat on the word "best".
Nice to watch? ... possibly.
Stylish? ... maybe.
Personal favourite? ... absolutely, why not ... that's what opinions are for.
But actual "best"? ... maybe Bruce's team would vie with Jewell's first season, or Martinez's sporadic wonders, but not the other 3 given the standard at which they played.

I think 'that' spell under Martinez where we bizarrely turned from what looked like a pub team into Barcelona for about 3 months - will be very difficult to ever be surpassed by any manager. Completely inexplicable and if i hadn't witnessed it myself i don't think i'd believe it was even possible that it happened like it did.