Kewell sacked after 10 weeks !! | Page 2 | Vital Football

Kewell sacked after 10 weeks !!

Although this hire-em-fire-em approach is unusual it's a fairly regular occurrence in Spain (and Leeds).

My Spanish club had three managers last season. We fired the first when we were second in the league and had drawn in the Cup with Atletico Madrid, and the second when we'd dropped down to third. In the end, with the third manager, we finished third but got promoted through the most convoluted play off system imaginable.

However, it's all highly amusing, I love re-reading what what was said when the appointment was made before it all drops down the memory hole.

When he joined they were bottom I believe. Now they are third from bottom. You can't really expect the moon on a stick in ten weeks. He should have been given a transfer window.

With respect to length of time....at least it wasn't 41 days like poor old Steve Wicks. Although I still wonder to this day, if it wasn't an interim job to allow for John Beck to be able to start. He may have been busy with his other interests, and to sure up a deal for Darren Huckerby to move on. That's just a ridiculous conspiracy theory, I know.....but I like the sound of it.

Sometimes this ridiculous merry-go-round makes me feel grateful that we are where we are.

Ah but Kewell had done a good job with Crawley, Wicks had done a good job... nowhere. One of the most ridiculous appointments in our history - thankfully rectified quickly!

Nice chap though Steve Wicks. Had the pleasure of chatting with him for an hour or so at a hotel we he was staying at. I think he had lots of good ideas and tried to get us playing football. Unfortunately the players couldn't adapt quick enough or through his inexperience tried to change things too quickly I think.

Nice chap though Steve Wicks. Had the pleasure of chatting with him for an hour or so at a hotel we he was staying at. I think he had lots of good ideas and tried to get us playing football. Unfortunately the players couldn't adapt quick enough or through his inexperience tried to change things too quickly I think.
I agree entirely. Wicks came from top flight football and was handed a bunch of players that left a huge amount to be desired. How many of the players left by Sam Ellis were still playing for the club twelve months later? If I remember correctly, Beck immediately brought in his own players and got rid of the dross (i.e. most of them). Wicks just never had the time to do anything and in my opinion was given very little opportunity to do so.

He did swap Dean West for Kevin Hulme:eek!::eek!:

True but then he was trying to raise some cash which came along with Kevin Hulme because the board wouldn't give him any resources!

And I know for a fact that Wicks didn't really want to let Dean go!

Sad for Notts...more history than pretty much anyone else...And they get an ultra dodgy Arab owner, then dreadful Trew, now this Hardy clown.
Any new manager can expect the sack if he spends a fortnight somewhere in or near relegation places...
All the buildings around them burning down...
Forest trophy cabinet full of cups they could never dream of...
Little old us disappearing into the distance far above them in every possible way...
Bleak midwinter looming...
National League LOOMING...

True but then he was trying to raise some cash which came along with Kevin Hulme because the board wouldn't give him any resources!

And I know for a fact that Wicks didn't really want to let Dean go!

But they must have had an inkling the Huckerby move was imminent?

Also, why didn't he just get rid of the dross? Beck did straight away, as noted above.

But they must have had an inkling the Huckerby move was imminent?

Also, why didn't he just get rid of the dross? Beck did straight away, as noted above.

I seem to recollect that the Huckerby money all went to pay off debts so he might have been told he wasn't getting any of it! At the end of the day who knows but what I will say is I still believe he wasn't given a fair crack of the whip. Ooo and those Beck days the only time in history I have ever watched City win and still felt deflated that truly was dross football at it's unmitigated best!

Kewell has reason to believe he has been hard done by. He inherited a squad that Nolan had assembled (good, bad or indifferent - mostly bad). He has not had a transfer window to rectify that. He has lifted the club from bottom to third from bottom, which may sound modest, but if it was the end of the season it would be a small but crucial difference.

I suspect something has happened behind the scenes, or Hardy is of the opinion someone better has come onto the market. Who knows, but its entertaining none the less.

Last edited:
I wonder whether the sacking of Hurst, Askey and a few others recently has made Hardy worry about competition and pull the trigger earlier than he meant to.

He did swap Dean West for Kevin Hulme:eek!::eek!:

I still remember the day that happened. Gobsmacked at that swap at the time.

Shows what Beck to thought to Wicks as he told Darren Davis to bugger off on his first day in charge as he was a player Wicks had brought in.

Some serious cash concerns that are growing by the week
The success and crowds of last season wasn’t enough to break even so this season will be ridiculous in losses each month
They simply can’t afford to be at wrong end of the table let alone relegated
County are in a real mess on and off the field