Kane: will he won't he? the saga begins anew... | Page 47 | Vital Football

Kane: will he won't he? the saga begins anew...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having experienced too many false dawns I have a degree of scepticism over this particular report. If it was such hot, accurate news why is it not over all of the rest of the media? I hope my scepticism is unfounded but……!
I was wondering the same!

Watching that Sky transfer prog last night, after hearing all the bullshit how Spurs will miss HK, blah! blah!, heads up his arris by those 2.

Anyway the prog geezer asked Anton Ferdinand what he thought?

His reply basically was....Angie plays a certain/attacking way with a battering ram CF, which HK certainly isn't, but have Richi already there who most certainly fits the criteria
He went on to say he thinks Angie will be pleased to see the back of HK and at the mo is only saying the right things about HK so as not to be detrimental.

What I have written is probably not word for word, but in general I clapped Anton thinking someone saying it as it is.

Ok good the deal being done....and we still have some time to strengthen the team....go get our top target CBs and possibly a striker as well ASAP!
I’d say if we sell Kane then the bare minimum we must do is 2 top line CB’s & a decent striker as a replacement. Anything less & the team are going to be 1 poor result away from a baying mob of spurs fans screaming about us selling our clubs highest scorer.
The mood of the stadium is going to be on a knife edge in 2 weeks!!!

I’d say if we sell Kane then the bare minimum we must do is 2 top line CB’s & a decent striker as a replacement. Anything less & the team are going to be 1 poor result away from a baying mob of spurs fans screaming about us selling our clubs highest scorer.
The mood of the stadium is going to be on a knife edge in 2 weeks!!!

I think we are having a problem attracting players. Plus Levy has try and get everyone on the cheap.

I think we are having a problem attracting players. Plus Levy has try and get everyone on the cheap.
The former is a reality. Top drawer and high potential players are not going to be interested in joining a mid table PL Club who are not in European competition. We are going to have to claw our way back to the top table before that is likely to happen. As far as Levy and on the cheap is concerned, the players who are likely to be prepared to join us are invariably over priced by their Clubs by virtue of the fact that we are considered a 'wealthy' Club. Consequently, as a result of both issues, we too often end up with players who don't live up to the expectations we have, and who have cost us too much.

Is it that, or is it our club's complete ineptitude at shifting players?

I'm still not sure fans realise the impact of having no UEFA football. It really is just a game a week and all you need is a lean squad, plus youngsters.

We currently have 5 GK's, where we need 3. We have 6 full-backs where we need 4. We need to shift about 3 centre halves and buy one or two, and with the return of Gio and Tanguy the midfield is looking packed.

This is such a long term issue under ENIC. It stops us from buying that one or two quality players that can make a difference.

I'm still not sure fans realise the impact of having no UEFA football. It really is just a game a week and all you need is a lean squad, plus youngsters.

We currently have 5 GK's, where we need 3. We have 6 full-backs where we need 4. We need to shift about 3 centre halves and buy one or two, and with the return of Gio and Tanguy the midfield is looking packed.

This is such a long term issue under ENIC. It stops us from buying that one or two quality players that can make a difference.

This accusation really is a nonsense; I don't know who makes this stuff up, but it really isn't worth repeating anymore. It really is tiresome.

Do you know how clubs actually move on players?

Firstly, of course a club can cancel a players registration at anytime; but then the player will legally be due all sums under his contract, paid in full.

Or, and normally the first step (95% of the time), it will meet with the player/agent; these days normally (the agent) after head coach/head of recruitment has told the player that they want to move him on.

His agent will have a scouting/playing profile/dossier thats's generally agreed with the club, and often now it will be loaded straight up to a trading platform, unless the agent says he'd rather handle it directly himself - all of this is generally down as soon as the season ends, not before - for obvious reasons.

The agent will then spread the word across the agents network, and almost certainly then start approaching clubs the player thinks might suit him.

The issue of course, if you are selling him for poor performance that you're 'ask' can be severely undermined from the moment the word is spread, and that's even before the club have to consider how they settle their contract, or make -up the shortfall in salary that the agent/player has to swallow. This can be substantial issue.

The 'clock' is driven by the players agent and the player, until such time, a buying club does more than say 'keep us informed of developments'...only when an offer is made (these days only after personal terms are agreed with the player), can the selling squad respond.

I could go on and on about the complexities, and there are many many more layers that have to be peeled, examined and agreed upon in a selling deal. Not least of which is what the agent(s) demands are in all this.

If a player decides to turn down a move as Tanganga did last summer, there is almost fuck all a club can do, except tear up his registration, and this is a rarity.

So please understand it is a marketplace like any other commodity marketplace where assets in demand will achieve their ask and assets that aren't can often not be sold and remain sat on the shelf, unless or until a player / his agent realises they face a season of non-playing.

It is rarely, probably 1:100 where a club takes the decision making away from a player.

This club can be held accountable for many things, but this is simply not one of them; the issue here is, the lack of clubs chasing / wanting our peripheral players/surplus to requirements.

Player agents will often extend the period of non-agreement on purpose as it obviously piles on the pressure on the selling club, and that's when you see a period of *apparent* inactivity, as you think you're seeing now.

The former is a reality. Top drawer and high potential players are not going to be interested in joining a mid table PL Club who are not in European competition. We are going to have to claw our way back to the top table before that is likely to happen. As far as Levy and on the cheap is concerned, the players who are likely to be prepared to join us are invariably over priced by their Clubs by virtue of the fact that we are considered a 'wealthy' Club. Consequently, as a result of both issues, we too often end up with players who don't live up to the expectations we have, and who have cost us too much.

I find this 'on the cheap' slur ill-informed, if you ask around in the game, there are many an agent/pundit/sports lawyer/coach/head of recruitment that by agreeing to managerial demands, we've massively over-paid for some fairly average players.

You only have to look for yourselves to see the evidence. But hey, it's better just to slag the club off, right?

I find this 'on the cheap' slur ill-informed, if you ask around in the game, there are many an agent/pundit/sports lawyer/coach/head of recruitment that by agreeing to managerial demands, we've massively over-paid for some fairly average players.

You only have to look for yourselves to see the evidence. But hey, it's better just to slag the club off, right?
I agree. Whatever Levy's faults, allowing other Club's to rip him off isn't one of them.

The result of changing managers who have very differing football philosophies.
This accusation really is a nonsense; I don't know who makes this stuff up, but it really isn't worth repeating anymore. It really is tiresome.

Firstly, of course a club can cancel a players registration at anytime; but then the player will legally be due all sums under his contract, paid in full.

Or, and normally the first step (95% of the time), it will meet with the player/agent; these days normally (the agent) after head coach/head of recruitment has told the player that they want to move him on.

His agent will have a scouting/playing profile/dossier thats's generally agreed with the club, and often now it will be loaded straight up to a trading platform, unless the agent says he'd rather handle it directly himself - all of this is generally down as soon as the season ends, not before - for obvious reasons.

The agent will then spread the word across the agents network, and almost certainly then start approaching clubs the player thinks might suit him.

The issue of course, if you are selling him for poor performance that you're 'ask' can be severely undermined from the moment the word is spread, and that's even before the club have to consider how they settle their contract, or make -up the shortfall in salary that the agent/player has to swallow. This can be substantial issue.

The 'clock' is driven by the players agent and the player, until such time, a buying club does more than say 'keep us informed of developments'...only when an offer is made (these days only after personal terms are agreed with the player), can the selling squad respond.

I could go on and on about the complexities, and there are many many more layers that have to be peeled, examined and agreed upon in a selling deal. Not least of which is what the agent(s) demands are in all this.

If a player decides to turn down a move as Tanganga did last summer, there is almost fuck all a club can do, except tear up his registration, and this is a rarity.

So please understand it is a marketplace like any other commodity marketplace where assets in demand will achieve their ask and assets that aren't can often not be sold and remain sat on the shelf, unless or until a player / his agent realises they face a season of non-playing.

It is rarely, probably 1:100 where a club takes the decision making away from a player.

This club can be held accountable for many things, but this is simply not one of them; the issue here is, the lack of clubs chasing / wanting our peripheral players/surplus to requirements.

Player agents will often extend the period of non-agreement on purpose as it obviously piles on the pressure on the selling club, and that's when you see a period of *apparent* inactivity, as you think you're seeing now.
100% Ex.

The only thing I would add though is how important recruitment is to avoid all of the above.

From the DOF to the manager to the players.

If a club changes its philosophy, it’s playing DNA then they are asking for trouble.

It’s the very reason bloated squads occur in the first place.

Regardless of how many trophies Jose or Conte won elsewhere the importance of continuity within our own structure cannot be underestimated.

I sincerely hope that we have learned this valuable lesson and won’t be making the same mistakes in future.

It's wasn't an accusation. It was actually a question. It was definitely a long term observation. But feel free to twist it how you feel fit.

Currently, we have 33 listed 1st team squad players and we could probably name a few like Devine or Scarlett that would love to be involved in 1st team squad activities.

Whatever the complexities, Spurs will be healthier for a rationalised squad. We find ourselves in this heavy squad situation a lot over the years under this regime.

This season will shine a light on it as well. If it all goes to plan, we'll hopefully see a core of 15 or 16 players take the lions share of the pitch time. That might build pressure on the second string to find clubs, as will hopefully finally having some management structure consistency.

The result of changing managers who have very differing football philosophies.

100% Ex.

The only thing I would add though is how important recruitment is to avoid all of the above.

From the DOF to the manager to the players.

If a club changes its philosophy, it’s playing DNA then they are asking for trouble.

It’s the very reason bloated squads occur in the first place.

Regardless of how many trophies Jose or Conte won elsewhere the importance of continuity within our own structure cannot be underestimated.

I sincerely hope that we have learned this valuable lesson and won’t be making the same mistakes in future.

It is unquestionably the Board's fault as they backed the managers who had a playing style that was about as attractive as a soviet car. They've now of course, done a complete U-turn.

I could site example after example, but I really can't be arsed anymore; you either see it (as you do) or you don't.

We will pay for the board's decisions in the last 4 years for probably at least 4-5 years. I've accepted that now, not forgiven as I hated Jose, hated Cunte and sighed and hoped at the incompetent clown in the middle, I pray that this time we have got it right.

It's wasn't an accusation. It was actually a question. It was definitely a long term observation. But feel free to twist it how you feel fit.

Currently, we have 33 listed 1st team squad players and we could probably name a few like Devine or Scarlett that would love to be involved in 1st team squad activities.

Whatever the complexities, Spurs will be healthier for a rationalised squad. We find ourselves in this heavy squad situation a lot over the years under this regime.

This season will shine a light on it as well. If it all goes to plan, we'll hopefully see a core of 15 or 16 players take the lions share of the pitch time. That might build pressure on the second string to find clubs, as will hopefully finally having some management structure consistency.

Sorry Mutts, questions phrased like that (and you aren't alone as it keeps getting levelled) don't read like a question at all, or at best it's aloaded question - I'm not just pinpointing this one, I just find this whole narratove tiresome and ill-informed.

Hopefully, the as full an answer as I could give to your question will end this approach, but somehow, I doubt it!

I apologise if you think it was a personal response, it wasn't, it was one born of being fed up of the ill-informed attacks that some here seem forever to indulge in. :thumbup::tophat:

Sorry Mutts, questions phrased like that (and you aren't alone as it keeps getting levelled) don't read like a question at all, or at best it's aloaded question - I'm not just pinpointing this one, I just find this whole narratove tiresome and ill-informed.

Hopefully, the as full an answer as I could give to your question will end this approach, but somehow, I doubt it!

I apologise if you think it was a personal response, it wasn't, it was one born of being fed up of the ill-informed attacks that some here seem forever to indulge in. :thumbup::tophat:

That's ok mate.

I think the guys are identifying the root causes. I just hope we can stick with one management structure, one philosophy and gradually rationalise the squad down to something more efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.