Josh Magennis | Page 7 | Vital Football

Josh Magennis

Face it, he is here because no other club came in for him and would match his terms and he was injured at the time the other rats were jumping ships.
He hasn't exactly pulled up any trees in all the time he has been here.
To be fair to him he looked at his best when playing up top with a partner in a brief spell during the promotion season.
Plenty graft in him but his goal scoring return has been terrible for the amount he has earned.
Still gets picked for International duty immediately after returning from injury.
Think Shaun is showing faith in him because he has nobody else with experience and his hands are tied to sign another experienced player to cover Charlie.

Illogical signing at the time and we are still suffering the legacy of mismanagement under the previous ownership group. Let’s be honest, given his salary if we could offload him we would. There’s no takers so we can’t. I suspect Maloney has given him the captaincy for motivational reasons to try a tune out of him given he is lumbered with him for the season.

I suspect Maloney has given him the captaincy for motivational reasons to try a tune out of him given he is lumbered with him for the season.
corect.

we dont know how hes been treeted in the past but we do know that toure was a complete and utter no nowt incompitent. feck with a mons mind and you feck with his preformance. be an angry dad and keep teling your kid they are stupid and wont amount to owt. and theyll grow up beleeving that.

if sm sees sommart we cant and thinks he can manage this out of the boy then hes got to give it a go. whats to lose eh. how many times have we herd in the stands that x y and z are not having a good run cos there a confidence pleyer.

You can call Toure all the names under the sun, but he was the one who decided Charlie Hughes was ready and gave him his chance in the starting XI. He also clearly realised early on that Magennis was absolute shite. It's a shame that his ability to coach a fully-functioning defence was just as shite.

I don't think it's ever a good idea for managers to tell players under contract they have no interest in ever using them. For the simple reason that you demotivate them to give you any effort and if you can't move them out or need them in an injury crisis you have zero chance of getting anything out of them. You probably also risk upset the dressing room if players feel their friends are being treated unfairly. If I was in Toure's position Magennis wouldn't have been someone I'd fancy either but I'd not have told him there's no future - I'd have told him he'll get the chances his performances in training or as sub deserve.

It looked like Maloney wasn't keen on Pearce or Wyke at times last season but he never burned the bridge by telling them he didn't want them. Due to circumstances he has had to rely on them and they've done well for him. You never know in football so I always think it's counter productive for managers to close the door completely on anyone.

I bet if Magennis was out of contract we'd have not had any intention of giving him a new deal and even now if another club was willing to take his full wage we'd probably happily let him go. But we all know there's no chance of that and he's a popular figure in the dressing room, a big character and the most experienced player we have so might as well try and get the most out of him in the faint hope he can recapture that 1 good season of goalscoring form at Hull.

Last edited: