Josh Magennis | Vital Football

Josh Magennis

I don't think Magennis has played well yet, but despite that with a bit of luck Magennis would've scored the winner against Oxford, put us ahead at Sheffield and opened the scoring against Crewe with his 2 goals ruled out for offside and the header that was saved. If he'd have done that we'd probably all be raving about what an impact he made - but fine margins went against him and he's probably losing a bit of confidence. He certainly wasn't fit when he first started but i do think he's looking fitter by the game.

He's indicated a couple of times he wants the ball at his chest but he's constantly getting them at his head and having to get up for aerial duals. But he's still been very disappointing at holding the ball and winning headers - i know the way we play make it very hard for a striker to make anything out of the balls service they get but i would expect him to have won more headers and held the ball a bit better than he has so far.

Magennis has been looking to play off the shoulder and run in behind teams constantly but so far he's making lots of good early runs and no one is even looking for him.

So i don't think him and the rest of the team are remotely on the same wavelength at the moment. Hopefully given time they'll sync up and we'll start to play the balls he wants like Hull did and we'll start to get goals from him.

I don't think Magennis has played well yet, but despite that with a bit of luck Magennis would've scored the winner against Oxford, put us ahead at Sheffield and opened the scoring against Crewe with his 2 goals ruled out for offside and the header that was saved.

Magennis has been looking to play off the shoulder and run in behind teams constantly but so far he's making lots of good early runs and no one is even looking for him.

So going off them two snippets he has played ok but not scored? If he doesn't get the service he'll rarely score.

I compared Magennis to Wyke last weekend on here, the other day LR said more or less the same, slow start but when he gets that first goal he'll get a shed full, you'll see.

Leam mentioned Josh has been scoring goals for a lot of years.
86 in 366 appearances. Not exactly prolific but with him in the box drawing defenders it makes way for others to score.

Probably. He may as well do. Nowt more than a Pat Gavin or Neil Morton up to now.
Hopefully graduate to a Phil Daley soon.

Wouldnt get a game for Dick Kerr's Ladies. We have had some rubbish centre forwards but this guy is in the top 5. Never wins any headers and way behind play. I watched the game on i.player tonight and he hardly got a mention from the commentators.

Apart from defensive headers offered nothing tonight - his second touch was either a Rotherham pass or a Rotherham throw in.
Why he stayed on rather than Humphrys is beyond me

Apart from defensive headers offered nothing tonight - his second touch was either a Rotherham pass or a Rotherham throw in.
Why he stayed on rather than Humphrys is beyond me
very disappointing performance from him tonight. all i can think is that LR will be starting Humphrys up front on Tuesday and so Magennis got the full 90 to keep him fresh.

very disappointing performance from him tonight. all i can think is that LR will be starting Humphrys up front on Tuesday and so Magennis got the full 90 to keep him fresh.

Wycombe are the most long ball team in the division so I think we'll look at probably going the same as we did against Rotherham. So I think both Magennis and Humphrys start - but we really do need Magennis to offer more. I know he's not getting any service so I'm not expecting him to necessarily score but he's not holding the ball very well or winning many headers - considering he was brought in for the target man role he's not really looked like one so far.

Listen to the interview with Steven Humphrys on the website and that will give you an insight into how much Magennis is contributing at the moment. Takes a lot of pressure off the other front players withoit necessarily getting noticed at the moment. As a previous poster said, Magennis and the midfield aren't quite in sync with each other at the meoment but no doubt it will come goos soon.

Wycombe are the most long ball team in the division so I think we'll look at probably going the same as we did against Rotherham. So I think both Magennis and Humphrys start - but we really do need Magennis to offer more. I know he's not getting any service so I'm not expecting him to necessarily score but he's not holding the ball very well or winning many headers - considering he was brought in for the target man role he's not really looked like one so far.

But is he really a target man in the true description of a target man?

Not sure who is agent is, but to get a two and a half year deal out of us is a remarkable piece of business on his part. Touted as a target man but he’s been anything but so far. Really disappointing. Remarkable we’re six clear in second as we’ve been without a centre forward really for three months.

But is he really a target man in the true description of a target man?

I thought he was but he's not looked like one so far.

If he isn't then it was a bizarre choice to sign him when we needed one desperately. We wouldn't say Lang and Humphrys are good target men but so far I think Magennis hasn't been any better than them in that role.

I thought he was but he's not looked like one so far.

If he isn't then it was a bizarre choice to sign him when we needed one desperately. We wouldn't say Lang and Humphrys are good target men but so far I think Magennis hasn't been any better than them in that role.
Something tells me he was far from first choice in January and given the premise we needed a centre forward then maybe we took a punt.

Something tells me he was far from first choice in January and given the premise we needed a centre forward then maybe we took a punt.

I think he might have been as Richardson called the Hull manager McCann about taking him on the 1st January.

So it seems he was high up the priority list if we started talking the day the window opened.