Jonah's Really REALLY Interesting Thread | Page 612 | Vital Football

Jonah's Really REALLY Interesting Thread

I have ended up having cream tea for lunch two days running due to different parts of the family coming round.

So . The debate has raged each day.

Jam first then cream or cream then jam?. I go the former.

I’m sure our West Country contingent can help clear this important issue up.

I have ended up having cream tea for lunch two days running due to different parts of the family coming round.

I was just in Cornwall for a few days and can confirm I have no idea what the order should be and I'd suggest it makes virtually no difference.

From a purely practical point of view, spreading the jam is much easier if done first, then a dollop of cream on top.
That's logical thinker mate, you are talking about simple folk, the same type who put milk in a cup first when making tea. Logic says put it in when the tea has brewed and you can colour to taste.
Some people lack common sense

I've had a million cream teas and don't think I actually have a set way of doing it. I think I just grab whichever is closest or not being used by someone else at the time then add the other one on top. Why are people so set in their ways?

I'm having a champagne cream tea on Thursday at Marco Pierre White's. Just to be different I might put the jam on the plate, the scone on top of it, the cream on top of that then drench it all in champagne.

That's logical thinker mate, you are talking about simple folk, the same type who put milk in a cup first when making tea. Logic says put it in when the tea has brewed and you can colour to taste.
Some people lack common sense

Before proper ceramics, they used to put the milk in first to cool the cup, else it would crack.

Of course, that was when people used teapots, not tea bags. I now put the milk in last.

Its cream on top mate.
Anything else where we live is a hanging offence.
However go over the border into Devon and its the other way around.

Morning all.

As the best tea maker in Shirley I can confirm that you most certainly put the milk in first. FACT.
My wife makes it that way, drives me mad.
If you are very accurate with the milk its ok, but she isnt.
You end up with horrible milky tea, or tea that has had the tea bag swirled around in the cup for half an hour to get some colour into it.