Johan Lange Thread | Page 28 | Vital Football

Johan Lange Thread

Eh? Kamara, Diego Carlos, Dendoncker, Duran, Buendia, Watkins, Martinez, Cash and Bailey are all regulars in our team that's currently 5th and that finished last season 7th. All signed under Lange. I left off Digne because he was Gerrard's baby as much as Coutinho was.
I may be wrong but I always saw him as the gofer. Most of those signings were manager led, Dendonker & Sanson were mainly his I think. Duran I believe was his but he never established the buy em young & sell on at a profit system we were led to believe was why he was appointed. The youth players are scouted & signed by Harrison as I understand it. In fairness I also think the Grealish three were pushed by Purslow, so can’t blame him for that.

Eh? Kamara, Diego Carlos, Dendoncker, Duran, Buendia, Watkins, Martinez, Cash and Bailey are all regulars in our team that's currently 5th and that finished last season 7th. All signed under Lange. I left off Digne because he was Gerrard's baby as much as Coutinho was.
Forgot about Kamara TBF. I do remember DC was signed as an alternate to Tarks, thank christ.

Let's not rewrite things. Dendonker is not a regular nor is my boy Duran who I mentioned. The boyos in bold were signed when Lange's signature was still wet. There has been enough discourse on Bailey and Buendia. I know why we are 5th and its not because of Johan Lange.

Again, more mistakes under his watch than anything else. The hiring of Gerrard alone. Do we really think Purslow acted alone?

edit: I will say, we're going to miss him in some capacity but we have Monchi. The biggest fear I have is Emery leaving and the entire structure around him leaving including Monchi. A bit of stability and a company man with football knowledge still in the club would be vital to retain. That is the one piece that does worry me.

I may be wrong but I always saw him as the gofer. Most of those signings were manager led, Dendonker & Sanson were mainly his I think. Duran I believe was his but he never established the buy em young & sell on at a profit system we were led to believe was why he was appointed. The youth players are scouted & signed by Harrison as I understand it. In fairness I also think the Grealish three were pushed by Purslow, so can’t blame him for that.
Isn't that what they should be, the manager says he wants a left-back and discusses who they want and the admin side goes and recruits the player.
I don't think any senior player gets signed without the manager at the time saying yes and indeed the manager sells the player his vision and ideas.
So it is absolute nonsense that footballers are recruited the same as a "would you like fries with that person"

edit: I will say, we're going to miss him in some capacity but we have Monchi. The biggest fear I have is Emery leaving and the entire structure around him leaving including Monchi. A bit of stability and a company man with football knowledge still in the club would be vital to retain. That is the one piece that does worry me.
This has worried me since the Spanish Old Boys Club started to arrive, did we really need a new GK coach for instance? They'll all up and go with Unai at some point in the future even if they are tied to Villa

I find it strange that people can get so aggravated over Lange and believe they knew the precise details of his role, none of us really know what he did. What I will say is that we have improved as club during his time here, but how much of a percentage contribution he made is anyone's guess. One things for sure is that he had nothing to do with our worst mistake - bringing that idiot Gerrard in.

The fact that he has moved to Spurs indicates that he didn't do anywhere near as bad a job here as some are making out.

I don't think he was interviewed he was head-hunted by Purslow ie the Jobs yours if you want it
He was definitely interviewed as i remember it being quoted and didn't Lampard get interviewed too (Jesus what were they thinking ) but you're right it was a Fait Accompli

He was definitely interviewed as i remember it being quoted and didn't Lampard get interviewed too (Jesus what were they thinking ) but you're right it was a Fait Accompli
I was interviewed once, it consisted of looking at an engineering drawing of a crankshaft and reading off the Main and big-end journal sizes, plus the gaffer asking me where in Hagley I lived and if would I be able to give him a lift to work if he was stuck . Needless to say, I got the job.
My kind of interview

He was the last of the trio that couldn't quite do it, expected this for some time. Spurs have got someone who can do a deal quietly, is good at identifying young talent, uses data analysis, and is well liked by all accounts. Overall for me he was involved in too many mistakes and expensive ones even if there are notable highlights during his tenure as DoF. His legacy may prove to be more positive than his current presence at the club. This time last year the squad was a mess, it is less so since Emery arrived almost a year ago.

Doesn't fit in this new Villa to me, we've changed how we do our deals. More directed by the manager, feels more personal, and for sure there's no discretion.

Forgot about Kamara TBF. I do remember DC was signed as an alternate to Tarks, thank christ.

Let's not rewrite things. Dendonker is not a regular nor is my boy Duran who I mentioned. The boyos in bold were signed when Lange's signature was still wet. There has been enough discourse on Bailey and Buendia. I know why we are 5th and its not because of Johan Lange.

Again, more mistakes under his watch than anything else. The hiring of Gerrard alone. Do we really think Purslow acted alone?

Dendoncker is a regular squad member and is a good value signing on that basis.

With a single manager-signing in Moreno we shot up the league under Emery. So has Emery made all these bad signings look good or could it have been that the previous manager was making good players - even McGinn, Ramsey, Konsa - look bad?

As for making mistakes in signings, we were a lower mid-table club having to gamble on players who weren't going to go to top 6 clubs. Look at basically everyone in that part of the league as realistic comparison. Lange did fine.

I think we all suspect Gerrard was Purslow's man but fine put him in Lange's "against" column but if you're going to do that, put everything positive that happened here during his tenure in his "for" column. Fair's fair.

I'd say roughly 1.6758%
Altho if he's been recruited by the greatest living football coach in the world in postieigloo to join the champions elect ...........well
Digne is proving to be an excellent full back, expensive but that's what his pedigree costs .
Left flank of Digne, Moreno and Ramsey?

Don't know how he can be judged really. No matter who our manager is he would surely be able to veto any players suggested by Lange - likewise any manager will be saying get me (Coutinho, Torres) for example.

Now some of the 14 or 15 year olds - might be the pick of Lange - and so far none of them have made the first team......

To me the purpose of a sporting director or whatever he is called - is that the club stays broadly on the same track in signing players and more importantly when changing head coach.

The ideal to me would be to assemble a coaching team so that when the head coach leaves the whole coaching team isn't replaced - and when identifying a new head coach he can slot into that structure and be able to work with the players he has.

In practice that's a lot harder to deliver than it first seems - a decent coach will want his own staff in - and if you sack the head coach - you do it to get a change - so no easy answers really

I find it strange that people can get so aggravated over Lange and believe they knew the precise details of his role, none of us really know what he did. What I will say is that we have improved as club during his time here, but how much of a percentage contribution he made is anyone's guess. One things for sure is that he had nothing to do with our worst mistake - bringing that idiot Gerrard in.

The fact that he has moved to Spurs indicates that he didn't do anywhere near as bad a job here as some are making out.

The biggest thing I think we all over look including myself is that he is mostly responsible for all the structure building. Xia hollowed out the recruitment team, data analysis, youth identification and development. He expanded the scouting department, the technical directorship and he helped bring in the likes of Mark Harrison.

I wouldn't entirely rule him out in having a role with Gerrard and the trio of summer signings after Jack. He had to have an opinion on that like he had to have an opinion / data on some of the transfers.

I dismiss some of his involvement with the likes of Emi and Watkins however there are rumours of him saving us from signing the likes of Tarkowski and selling Dougie, among other thing Gerrard seemingly wanted to do.

Don't know how he can be judged really. No matter who our manager is he would surely be able to veto any players suggested by Lange - likewise any manager will be saying get me (Coutinho, Torres) for example.

Now some of the 14 or 15 year olds - might be the pick of Lange - and so far none of them have made the first team......

To me the purpose of a sporting director or whatever he is called - is that the club stays broadly on the same track in signing players and more importantly when changing head coach.

The ideal to me would be to assemble a coaching team so that when the head coach leaves the whole coaching team isn't replaced - and when identifying a new head coach he can slot into that structure and be able to work with the players he has.

In practice that's a lot harder to deliver than it first seems - a decent coach will want his own staff in - and if you sack the head coach - you do it to get a change - so no easy answers really

Swansea were able to implement that approach successfully before the Americans took over and ripped up the model.

I think they are the only English club who have done it successfully.

I was a big advocate for that approach but when manager like Emery says he wants to do it differently, I think you have to go with that.

Swansea were able to implement that approach successfully before the Americans took over and ripped up the model.

I think they are the only English club who have done it successfully.

I was a big advocate for that approach but when manager like Emery says he wants to do it differently, I think you have to go with that.
Geography degree,BB?

He's going to have fun working with Levy. Daniel I'm interested in signing x player, Levy....offer them Troy Parrot and £50.