Jay's Interview with Alan Nixon | Page 5 | Vital Football

Jay's Interview with Alan Nixon

I keep hearing everyone raving about the academy lads but i think we've got a bit carried away. We've not seen that many and not seen that much of them, some have shown promise others struggled. But no one has exploded onto the scene to lock down their place in the first 11 yet. Not that you'd necessarily expect that but I think some chat on social media would make you think we have had those.

I'm not saying they are all rubbish and none will become good first teamers - but I think it's way too soon to say if we've got lads who will go onto be the next McMannnaman and Baines or the next Tim Chow and Lee Nicholls. As the latter 2 were meant to be first teamers in waiting and it just never panned out.

I think we need to see a fair bit more of them before we can really judge how valuable they can be. The temptation is too always over hype our own lads as we all love the idea of our home-grown superstars but I don't think we should let our expectations get ahead of them.

Yesterday the U23s lost 5-1 at home to Notts Forest if to prove your point. The youngsters are now getting stretched with the lads that have gone and the ones in the first team squad. Last season we were thrashing all before us.

Correct but where did I say I would sooner the club die
Always said if Leneghan gets it I'm done and stand by that
Bet you are hoping he gets it hey wurrior

What would that solve Bicky you being done. Don't forget Whelan was a very keen rugby man

It doesn't matter if you have ever been or not. If you're prepared to turn your back on your club because of things previous occupants of his position said or did it's pretty churlish.

If you lived in Hyde and and needed a GP would you refuse to go to any of the GP's at the Brooke Practice simply because of what Harold Shipman did years ago?

What would that solve Bicky you being done. Don't forget Whelan was a very keen rugby man

Pollards actions in bidding solely for the ground has put off prospective bidders. He doesn’t want us, he only wants the stadium, but now realises he can’t only get one and run it without the other.

Whelan offered the rugby a home when they were in dire straits. Now we’re in dire straits their chairman wants to seize if from us and charge us extortionate rent. All this one town talk was bollocks.

Life is short......time to bury the hatchet with the rugby and move on......what is the point of all this bitterness from some,and yes,I’m old enough to have lived through it BUT this is a new era for our club now and we need to move on.......if we have a Wigan Sports Club with two successful teams.......good!

Pollards actions in bidding solely for the ground has put off prospective bidders. He doesn’t want us, he only wants the stadium, but now realises he can’t only get one and run it without the other.

Whelan offered the rugby a home when they were in dire straits. Now we’re in dire straits their chairman wants to seize if from us and charge us extortionate rent. All this one town talk was bollocks.

I'm not sure how you really know all this as fact perhaps you could show where all this information came from. I am not a rugby fan by any stretch of the imagination but have never heard Lenegan say anything or do anything to the detriment of Latics.

Life is short......time to bury the hatchet with the rugby and move on......what is the point of all this bitterness from some,and yes,I’m old enough to have lived through it BUT this is a new era for our club now and we need to move on.......if we have a Wigan Sports Club with two successful teams.......good!
Know where your coming from but for some it won't happen never will

I'm not sure how you really know all this as fact perhaps you could show where all this information came from. I am not a rugby fan by any stretch of the imagination but have never heard Lenegan say anything or do anything to the detriment of Latics.
ZAKKY it's not just Leneghan it's the rugby full stop anything wigan wurriors is the problem it could be anyone who owns rugby just happens to be pollard

He has bid solely for the stadium - krasner declined to deal saying he preferred to sell the package whole - though don’t believe him on the latter part. The Yanks tried negotiating terms with him on rent - it was too steep and so looked at moving us to Leigh. We’re in the shit and this bloke is acting like a vulture trying to seize our home.

ZAKKY it's not just Leneghan it's the rugby full stop anything wigan wurriors is the problem it could be anyone who owns rugby just happens to be pollard

Is it though or is it just a noisy minority of their fans?

If you go on our social media you will find soe very obnoxious Latics fans who i don't feel are a good representation of our fanbase as a whole - but some other sets of fans think we are all like that because they only see the trolls chatting shit not all the normal folks who keep to themselves.

I went to a Warriors home game with my mrs who was a fan at the time years ago and it was a funny occasion where we were playing away in London and around us there was loads of younger folk and everyone kept checking the Latics score and they were all hoping we won. I was really suprised to see the level of interest and it just showed me that the rivalry is something from a past generation and there was no need to perpetuate it. The town and both sides would be better off being allies rather that at each others throats - sure some people wont ever let go of the past and they will be annoying, but it's counter productive to blame the whole for the minority. Don't get dragged into hating them because some of them hate us, if you want to hate the haters fair play but don't hate the club because some of their fans are dicks, we have fans like that too.

Is it though or is it just a noisy minority of their fans?

If you go on our social media you will find soe very obnoxious Latics fans who i don't feel are a good representation of our fanbase as a whole - but some other sets of fans think we are all like that because they only see the trolls chatting shit not all the normal folks who keep to themselves.

I went to a Warriors home game with my mrs who was a fan at the time years ago and it was a funny occasion where we were playing away in London and around us there was loads of younger folk and everyone kept checking the Latics score and they were all hoping we won. I was really suprised to see the level of interest and it just showed me that the rivalry is something from a past generation and there was no need to perpetuate it. The town and both sides would be better off being allies rather that at each others throats - sure some people wont ever let go of the past and they will be annoying, but it's counter productive to blame the whole for the minority. Don't get dragged into hating them because some of them hate us, if you want to hate the haters fair play but don't hate the club because some of their fans are dicks, we have fans like that too.
Fair comment
But it's too late for some to change unfortunately for most the hatred of Wigan rugby will never go away
That's a fact

He has bid solely for the stadium - krasner declined to deal saying he preferred to sell the package whole - though don’t believe him on the latter part. The Yanks tried negotiating terms with him on rent - it was too steep and so looked at moving us to Leigh. We’re in the shit and this bloke is acting like a vulture trying to seize our home.

To be fair the American's didn't want the stadium, so if you were buying the stadium making an annual loss and both clubs i believe are paying a low rent so i don't think it's a suprise they'd want to raise it. If the American's bought it the first thing they'd do if they could would try and raise rent on Warriors to try and lessen the loses. So i don't know if it's that devious a move rather than common sense. We know the American's were after a bargain - so maybe the rent rise proposed was reasonable but they still wanted to not up it, or maybe it was a crazy rip off - but we are guessing either way on if Lenegan was up to no good on that.

Fair comment
But it's too late for some to change unfortunately for most the hatred of Wigan rugby will never go away
That's a fact

It's never too late to change.

Hatred is like drinking poison hoping your enemy dies - just hurts you and doesn't hurt them.

If you let the haters drag you to their level they win - best to laugh at them and not join in their game.

Yesterday the U23s lost 5-1 at home to Notts Forest if to prove your point. The youngsters are now getting stretched with the lads that have gone and the ones in the first team squad. Last season we were thrashing all before us.

I think even if our young lads are thrashing everyone at youth level it doesn't always translate to first team football.

You see some of the lads who looked world beaters in the youth teams at even the big clubs then go out on loan to L1 or L2 and can't cut it. It's a huge step up to the mans game from the youth levels and even the cream of the crop can't always make it unfortunately.

Lenegan is not a multi-millionaire and cant afford to fund losses on the stadium, the rugby and the football clubs. He can afford to fund the annual losses made by the Warriors (last year £1.4m, but usually around £500K). Clearly he thinks that he can afford to continue funding those and the losses made by the stadium (almost £1.5m in 2019 and £750K in 2018), meaning if he owned the warriors and the stadium, he'd be personally putting in somewhere between £1.2 and £3m per year, depending on how successful the tenants were. But bear in mind, one tenant is not even using the stadium, and the other is, but with no spectators, so the losses on the stadium will be even bigger this year.

Then look at the latics and how much they need to run. With zero income for pretty much the rest of this season, and even with outgoings of approx £300K a month, down from £800K, any owner would have to be prepared to write off another £4m just to see them finish the season.

So, if Mr Lenegan was to buy the latics and the ground, then not only would he be shelling out £4m to buy it, but in the next 12 months, he'd also be forced to shell out £4m to fund the football, and £3m to fund the losses of the Warriors and the DW. That's at least £11m shelled out for a guaranteed zero return.

Mr Lenegan sold the shares in his company for £19m in 2011, so in terms of mega-rich, he is not in the same league as Mr Whelan, who is worth well over £100m.

And that, in a nutshell, is why Ian Lenegan wont be buying Wigan Athletic. He simply cannot afford to burn through £11m a year.

Lenegan is not a multi-millionaire and cant afford to fund losses on the stadium, the rugby and the football clubs. He can afford to fund the annual losses made by the Warriors (last year £1.4m, but usually around £500K). Clearly he thinks that he can afford to continue funding those and the losses made by the stadium (almost £1.5m in 2019 and £750K in 2018), meaning if he owned the warriors and the stadium, he'd be personally putting in somewhere between £1.2 and £3m per year, depending on how successful the tenants were. But bear in mind, one tenant is not even using the stadium, and the other is, but with no spectators, so the losses on the stadium will be even bigger this year.

Then look at the latics and how much they need to run. With zero income for pretty much the rest of this season, and even with outgoings of approx £300K a month, down from £800K, any owner would have to be prepared to write off another £4m just to see them finish the season.

So, if Mr Lenegan was to buy the latics and the ground, then not only would he be shelling out £4m to buy it, but in the next 12 months, he'd also be forced to shell out £4m to fund the football, and £3m to fund the losses of the Warriors and the DW. That's at least £11m shelled out for a guaranteed zero return.

Mr Lenegan sold the shares in his company for £19m in 2011, so in terms of mega-rich, he is not in the same league as Mr Whelan, who is worth well over £100m.

And that, in a nutshell, is why Ian Lenegan wont be buying Wigan Athletic. He simply cannot afford to burn through £11m a year.
Good

Lenegan wont be buying us, but his consortium which apparently contains Mike Danson who is worth 600m might do.