January window | Page 6 | Vital Football

January window

Toffee mate says he's a big lump scoring machine at under 23s says he will be good for us. If he's another lump then is this cover for Maddine I hope we don't just lump the ball up to one or the other all game

Keith Southern has given his endorsement to Blackpool’s signing of young Everton forward Ellis Simms on loan.

The former Seasider, now working within the academy at Goodison Park, helped coach the 20-year-old during his time with Paul Tait’s under-18s side.

“I worked with Ellis alongside the other under-18s staff around a year or so ago now,” Southern explained. “It was for the best part of two years during his scholarship. I obviously know him well and he’s a talented boy.

“I was delighted when the news was confirmed today that he was signing for Blackpool on loan.

“I think it’s a really good fit. I know Everton do their due diligence in terms of clubs available to certain players and I think there was a lot of interest in Ellis, but Everton obviously feel that the chances created and the environment that Neil Critchley has in place at the club will allow Ellis to go and excel.”

A prolific goalscorer while rising through the ranks on Merseyside, Blackpool’s latest recruit certainly knows where the net is and will now be given the opportunities to transfer his form to senior football.

“His record at youth and under-23 level is phenomenal, really,” said Southern, who achieved two promotions during his 10 years as a player with Blackpool. “Ellis has certainly got attributes that help him to score a lot of goals and this is just the next step on the development pathway.

“He’s still a young player - he’s just turned 20 and you always have to be patient - but there’s no doubt in my mind that he can be a real asset.

“He’s going to a great club, one that is obviously close to my heart, and he’s working for a Head Coach who has a development background and who will nurture him and improve him over the length of time that he’s there.”

Southern himself treaded the very same loan path from Everton to Blackpool in 2002, while Seamus Coleman did similar in 2010 before going on to establish himself as a regular for the Toffees.

“I was only thinking about that a week or so ago, that it’s now just shy of 20 years since I went to the club on loan from Everton, and almost 11 years since Seamus Coleman arrived. That really catapulted his career, so Blackpool has a reputation of looking after players and giving young players an opportunity on loan.

“I’m sure Ellis is not looking at the platform it gave Seamus, but he’ll be looking at his own profile and thinking that he’s ready for this challenge. Hopefully he gets plenty of game-time under his belt, does well and scores goals.”

Neil Critchley says Teddy Howe and Jordan Thorniley are both free to leave Blackpool.
Neither defender has made a single league appearance for the Seasiders this season, though they have had outings in the EFL Trophy.
Blackpool’s head coach insists there’s no problem with either player but concedes they are free to move on should another club come in for them.

Critchley told The Gazette: “They’ve played some games for us in the EFL Trophy and I’ve got to say there are no issues with them. But they know the situation as well.
“If an offer came in for them to go and play somewhere else on a regular basis ,then I think it’s something we’d be open to and they’d want to do because they’re not playing football at the moment.
“All footballers will tell you they want to play at 3pm on a Saturday. They want to have that chance to compete for three points, which they’re not doing at the moment.
“If that situation arose and everyone was happy with it, then we would be.”

Great spirit today but we need to get Luballa out on loan he looks off the pace and this will do him the world of good. With the two being told they should leave and long term injuries I would hope we get a couple more in with pace

Midfielder Links Up On An 18-Month Deal
Just now

Large

Blackpool Football Club is pleased to announce the signing of Kevin Stewart on an 18-month contract.
The energetic midfielder, 27, was most recently with Hull City, where he made 78 appearances across three seasons in the Championship.
Stewart moved to the Tigers for a substantial transfer fee from Liverpool in 2017, having featured in 20 games for the Reds, including 11 in the Premier League, with his top-flight debut coming as a substitute for Phillippe Coutinho against Aston Villa.

Initially on the books of Tottenham Hotspur as a youngster, he has also spent time out on loan with the likes of Crewe Alexandra, Swindon Town and Burton Albion.
On joining Blackpool, Kevin Stewart said:
“I’m really excited to join and get back playing. I’m keen to get out on the pitch, help the boys and do what I love to do.
“I obviously know the gaffer well because I was in the Liverpool academy at the same time that he was. We have very similar ideas and very similar ways of playing. I understand what he likes, and he knows what I’m good at and how I like to play. This is definitely a good fit and it’s great for me to have somebody like that.”
Neil Critchley added:
“I have known Kevin for a number of years now and he’s an outstanding professional who will bring a lot to the club, both on and off the pitch. He’s spent the last three years playing in the Championship and has also played in the Premier League for Liverpool. He’s an experienced addition, capable of playing in different positions, and will be a big asset for us moving forward.”

Looks like a defensive midfielder so it's the writing on the wall for the likes of Williams who seems to have dropped out of favour? Is Dougal a longer term illness? Could he be thinking of moving Ward as an attacking midfielder or even Virtue?