January Signings (Ins and outs) | Page 9 | Vital Football

January Signings (Ins and outs)

I have posted some clips of TDP on the other thread that were recommended by a Norwich City fan.

What the heck is Premier League 2?
Is it for Premier League reserve teams?
I see nobody guessed the player correctly!

Glad I'm not the only one, soon as I read Premier League 2 I thought WTF?
Guess I'm totally out of touch as I've never heard of a PL 2.
I tend to ignore anything above Championship level so I assume Premier League teams reserves? Think the last time I watched MOTD was when we had a brief appearence in the cup 3yrs ago against Cardiff.

Glad I'm not the only one, soon as I read Premier League 2 I thought WTF?
Guess I'm totally out of touch as I've never heard of a PL 2.
I tend to ignore anything above Championship level so I assume Premier League teams reserves? Think the last time I watched MOTD was when we had a brief appearence in the cup 3yrs ago against Cardiff.
Weather we like it or not .And I don't follow the Premier league. Premier league teams have a massive squads. We are totally penniless. If Evans has managed to get a top scorer in the under 23s then I am happy with that .Give the lad a chance he has to start his senior career somewhere why not Gills?

Last edited:
The other benefit I see in signing players like Dickson-Peters is longer term.Some will fail to make the grade at Premier league level .But all being well we will always be the team who gave him his full debut. That's something he will always remember. If the crowd supports him .There is a chance he or someone similar might be back when they are a bit older .He might not be one of our own .But if he is treated in the same way .It will not only help our future relationship with Norwich City. It will lead to the lad enjoying his time with us .That alone will give him more chance of being successful.Make a success of this and young forwards might be jumping at the chance to join us.

Last edited:
The other benefit I see in signing players like Dickson-Peters is longer term.Some will fail to make the grade at Premier league level .But all being well we will aways be the team who gave him his full debut. That's something he will always remember. If the crowd supports him .There is a chance he or someone similar might be back when they are a bit older .He might not be one of our own .But if he is treated in the same way .It will not only help our future relationship with Norwich City. It will lead to the lad enjoying his time with us .That alone will give him more chance of being successful.Make a success of this and young forwards might be jumping at the chance to join us.

Exactly Chris. A lot of people have made fun of the fact that SE mentioned his bringing through the likes of Toney at Peterboro as a reason for his success in attracting these youngsters.

Now, SE does like to blow his own trumpet, but there is a lot to what he says. More so with the Peterboro connection. They are seen as a club that always takes on youngsters and improves them into better players that play in higher leagues. So it would be a bit of a no brainer for a youngster (and his management or parent club) to be very interested if they make an offer.

We need to try to get Gills into that kind of company. A club that youngsters see as a good stepping stone. We’ve had a few successes in the past (Dack, Freeman etc). We need more.

It would be great if Thomas had a good half season with us, cracks home some goals and then pops up around Norwich first team squad (or a Champ club) next season. Win win.

I’m reading Bournemouth have signed a young CB James Hill from Fleetwood for a Fleetwood transfer record (rumoured £1.6mill).

I suppose they weren’t looking at Jack 🤷‍♂️
Why don’t these things happen at our club…

#

I suppose Dack was our equivalent- only we rejected the big offers and ended up sellling him for much less once his contract was running down.

Maybe. But Brad Dack had already shown his stuff for quite a few seasons in L1 and was a L1 POTY iirc. This guy I think is only 19, been playing about pne full season (and a few apps before that) and I reckon most people outside Fleetwood don’t even know him.

It would have been very nice if we’d had £1mill + offers for Jack Tucker over the last couple of seasons.

Maybe. But Brad Dack had already shown his stuff for quite a few seasons in L1 and was a L1 POTY iirc. This guy I think is only 19, been playing about pne full season (and a few apps before that) and I reckon most people outside Fleetwood don’t even know him.

It would have been very nice if we’d had £1mill + offers for Jack Tucker over the last couple of seasons.

I think he only won L1 POTY at the end of the season in which we rejected those January offers (15-16)? But it's true that he'd played more games than Hill has.

£1mill+ for anyone at the moment would be nice eh!

Weather we like it or not .And I don't follow the Premier league. Premier league teams have a massive squads. We are totally penniless. If Evans has managed to get a top scorer in the under 23s then I am happy with that .Give the lad a chance he has to start his senior career somewhere why not Gills?

I really was not aware of Premier league 2 teams and not knocking this signing of Dickson-Peters. Anyone in a Gills shirt has my backing and I hope he does well with us.

The young centre-back James Hill went to Bournemouth for £1.6 million. He`s a couple of days away from his twentieth birthday and had played about 40 L1 games for Fleetwood.

Similar player to Jack Tucker. Valuation for JT has to be similar, perhaps a bit less as Hill has made an England u-20 appearance. Around or approaching the £1m IMO, as he`s physically ready to compete at a higher level and has the smarts to match. IF we let him go for under £500K it`s a steal.

Freddy Ladapo has made a transfer request to Rotherham Utd. Isn`t he from down this (Kent) way and didn`t he play for Margate ? Guessing he wants a London area club - no doubt out of our price range - wonder if Charlton or Millwall might go for him !

The young centre-back James Hill went to Bournemouth for £1.6 million. He`s a couple of days away from his twentieth birthday and had played about 40 L1 games for Fleetwood.

Similar player to Jack Tucker. Valuation for JT has to be similar, perhaps a bit less as Hill has made an England u-20 appearance. Around or approaching the £1m IMO, as he`s physically ready to compete at a higher level and has the smarts to match. IF we let him go for under £500K it`s a steal.

Interesting to know what the length of contract he had at Fleetwood. Tucker is out of contract in the summer although I believe we would be due compensation due to his age

I think we that whichever club that takes Jack when his contract expires will be shocked at Gills compensation request.
I reckon Scally will go for a million plus citing comparable situations.
Will we get that ?
Unlikely.

Was there not talk of a £20M debt at Fleetwood not long ago, or did I dream that? Clearly the transfer is good news for them and should allow them to escape the embargo in the short term.