January Signings (Ins and outs) | Page 7 | Vital Football

January Signings (Ins and outs)

Your second question might be "what happened with kelman then?"

Would it? And would it make a difference? I think any player would know what happens in cases like this and do their own research if they think it might affect them.

And the parent club would do research too. Plenty of Champ and EPL sides have sent us players since SE has been here, so it doesn’t sound like they think there’s a problem with letting him guide their youngsters.

Certainly If I were a young player looking to play somewhere, I don’t think I’d be asking the manager “why did the last guy fail? Why did you send him home early?”

But the agreement would have stated a date in January. Not just "January".
True but I assumed it could be changed to the earliest possible date given he went back some time ago and he’s been playing for QPR development squad since then.
Very bizarre what happened with him, a wasted signing and another big mistake from Evans and Raynor. Plenty of games since we let him go where we needed a striker to come on. Can only assume there was some sort of falling out, despite what Evans said after.

True but I assumed it could be changed to the earliest possible date given he went back some time ago and he’s been playing for QPR development squad since then.
Very bizarre what happened with him, a wasted signing and another big mistake from Evans and Raynor. Plenty of games since we let him go where we needed a striker to come on. Can only assume there was some sort of falling out, despite what Evans said after.
It would be good to know the truth.

Some of SE loans have been great but others appalling.

Would it? And would it make a difference? I think any player would know what happens in cases like this and do their own research if they think it might affect them.

And the parent club would do research too. Plenty of Champ and EPL sides have sent us players since SE has been here, so it doesn’t sound like they think there’s a problem with letting him guide their youngsters.

Certainly If I were a young player looking to play somewhere, I don’t think I’d be asking the manager “why did the last guy fail? Why did you send him home early?”

I'd be looking to understand what are my chances of playing. Little point joining a club on loan if you are going to be 4th or 5th choice striker. The good news for us is that we are the opposite of that especially if Akinde moves on.

This might work in our favour with only oIiver and sithole as recognised strikers, anyone coming in should get game time.

I think I'd be interested in what happened to other loan players before I joined club. I wonder If the player could come from Norwich given that adshead can fill him in on what it's like.

I think I'd be interested in what happened to other loan players before I joined club. I wonder If the player could come from Norwich given that adshead can fill him in on what it's like.

If any of Adshead, Phillips or Cummins has an U23 mate at their parent club and could help persuade them, would be good.

So that’s Norwich and Chelsea. Where is Phillips from? And is that our only current loans (inc Kelman)?

Phillips is from Watford, which is were we signed Jakubiak on loan from. His career seems to have wandered downhill: now 25 recovering from a shoulder injury acquired in a Dundee night club. It's worth remembering however that he scored a few goals for us and was a useful squad member for a while. A player like that would be OK though obviously we are all hoping for a miracle man.

If any of Adshead, Phillips or Cummins has an U23 mate at their parent club and could help persuade them, would be good.

So that’s Norwich and Chelsea. Where is Phillips from? And is that our only current loans (inc Kelman)?
I read a Norwich article which said they do a fair bit of investigation before sending a player on loan style of play etc. They prefer teams that mirror their style. I would guess that Adshead got the go ahead as he is primarily a defensive midfielder. So on the basis of that article which would be written about year ago now.I would guess we might get a defensive player a left back perhaps.But it is very unlikely they would let us have a striker or winger.

I read a Norwich article which said they do a fair bit of investigation before sending a player on loan style of play etc. They prefer teams that mirror their style. I would guess that Adshead got the go ahead as he is primarily a defensive midfielder. So on the basis of that article which would be written about year ago now.I would guess we might get a defensive player a left back perhaps.But it is very unlikely they would let us have a striker or winger.

What about mirroring their league table style - we`re a pretty good match !

I’m pretty sure Evans said Adshead was a personal favour from former Norwich boss Daniel Farke, and that he’s playing here for free effectively.

I’m pretty sure Evans said Adshead was a personal favour from former Norwich boss Daniel Farke, and that he’s playing here for free effectively.

Under the terms of the "non embargo" aren't all our loans effectively playing for free? (All their wages have to be paid by the parent club) Dont think we're allowed to contribute anything to their wages.

Under the terms of the "non embargo" aren't all our loans effectively playing for free? (All their wages have to be paid by the parent club) Dont think we're allowed to contribute anything to their wages.
Not sure about that. I took loan fee to mean a payment made to the parent for getting the player in on loan. I don’t think the terms specify about wages.

Not sure about that. I took loan fee to mean a payment made to the parent for getting the player in on loan. I don’t think the terms specify about wages.

Not that we would be likely to but I think I read that we can't "top up" wages either e.g if the player is on £1K a week we can't pay more to entice them to join on loan.

Not that we would be likely to but I think I read that we can't "top up" wages either e.g if the player is on £1K a week we can't pay more to entice them to join on loan.
Meaning perhaps in the case of a striker we can't pay a bonus for his goals .Also Kelman possibly lost nothing unless he was fined for returning to QPR.

Kelman was a central striker. That's why I believe we need someone who is happy out wide.Maybe in the Matty Jarvis mold or more of a forward that is comfortable playing up against the full back in the 4-3-3 formation.He needs to be mobile and tricky and ideally have a decent cross and shot .No easy task.Possibly needs to be his first real team experience or we have no chance.
We have Carayol (when fit), Lloyd, Lee, MacDonald and Reeves who can all play the wide attacking role when fit and available.
If, as seems likely, Akinde leaves this month and with Sithole not yet ready then Oliver is the only central striker at the football club.
I would hope that Evans is looking for an out and out striker rather than another wide player.

We have Carayol (when fit), Lloyd, Lee, MacDonald and Reeves who can all play the wide attacking role when fit and available.
If, as seems likely, Akinde leaves this month and with Sithole not yet ready then Oliver is the only central striker at the football club.
I would hope that Evans is looking for an out and out striker rather than another wide player.
MacDonald isn't likely to play much if at all this season .Lee mainly plays in the middle behind Oliver or whoever.Reeves probably needs getting shot of judging on the number of times he has been picked.Carayol isn't fit half the time.So that leaves Lloyd who is more of a wide attacking midfielder in the Hessenthaler mold not a winger in the young Matty Jarvis mold.Who can play down the middle when required.I am not saying we should get back up centre forward if Akinde leaves .But having a play who loves to attack defences and cut in and shoot I think would help us more .
After all we are not going to get a ace goalscoring striker. Getting two players who can get 15 goals between them is more achievable.

Given we have nobody under contract another way of trying to get loans is to target players like Ogilvie while he was with Spurs players going nowhere until their contracts are up .With the offer of being promised a deal for next season if they prove their worth .With Evans probably going it doesn't affect him other that perhaps provides motivation for the players. That will involve digging deeper than perhaps the current stars of the under 23 teams and could be a gamble but it could be that that approach might help us this season and next.

Last edited:

Didn't he bad mouth Paul Raynor when he was substituted? You can't get away with showing disrespect especially if you're on loan.

Robbie Cundy might be a possible. Did OK last season, still hasn't played for City (as far as I can see) and looks like he might be out of contract at the ned of the season.