JANUARY SALES | Page 99 | Vital Football

JANUARY SALES

Can’t compete if we don’t spend and I don’t think any one will come here. But no harm in offering. To try but we are not doing.

But then throw in your view that the owner is skint ... you can't have it every way.

Whinging about not spending money ... and at the same time, reckoning we're skint.
Whinging about players not coming ... and at the same time asking why would they.
Whinging about wanting us to be like Brentford ... and at the same time saying that we can't compete at this level.

Amongst all the contradictory statements, I think I get what you mean ... what you want ... but that takes time. It isn't an overnight job. I have no doubt that when they were signed, it was hoped that the likes of Humphrys, Shinnie, McGrath, Whatmough, Cousins even might go on to result in a profit at some point. But, it's not quite worked out like that ... yet.

Thing is though mate, you can't (after apparently being so positive and pragmatic about the - very - brief Toure era) only focus on the negative of every single issue ... and then go on about it ver batim.

Well, I suppose you can ... and probably will ... but I'm not sure why.

No matter what we think of him he didn’t bring half of this crap in

Aah .. you mean the title winning crap? No, he didn't, and neither did he seem to have any kind of positive impact with them either.

Maloney has effectively said that the only way we're going to stay up is by him getting our current players to believe how good they can be, and improving their development and teamwork for the rest of the season.

He backed off from the far more difficult job of convincing some of our fans that they should believe the same. 👀

Aah .. you mean the title winning crap? No, he didn't, and neither did he seem to have any kind of positive impact with them either.

Maloney has effectively said that the only way we're going to stay up is by him getting our current players to believe how good they can be, and improving their development and teamwork for the rest of the season.

He backed off from the far more difficult job of convincing some of our fans that they should believe the same. 👀
Don’t talk rubbish honestly if you think Tilt Bennet McLean Amos the list goes on are good enough. For the championship. You know nothing about. Football. Yes they did brilliant in league one. Unless you didn’t notice we was in the bottom 3 when your mate was in charge. And was going down. Yes we had away wins. A win is a win but we got battered at luton and Birmingham. ,

Sinani is 25 year old, Luxenbourg international attacking midfielder (seems to be able to play across the pitch). Was on loan at Huddersfield last season in their promotion push, ade 47 apperances, scoring 7 goals and getting 5 assists.

Back at Norwich this season he's made 19 apperances with 2 goals and 4 assists, with most appearances being from the bench. Sounds like he came back to Norwich in strong form but fallen out of favour since.

Vaguely remember the name from last season but can't remember seeing him, sounds decent from his record.

It would be another loan. So clearly Fletcher, Tiehie or Aziz mustn't be fancied to start every week by Maloney.

Hearts manager confirmed that out cut off to recall Humphrys was 14th January, so even if Maloney rated him highly he was bound by decision before he arrived. Presumably that was the case with McGrath as well.

Don’t talk rubbish honestly if you think Tilt Bennet McLean Amos the list goes on are good enough. For the championship. You know nothing about. Football. Yes they did brilliant in league one. Unless you didn’t notice we was in the bottom 3 when your mate was in charge. And was going down. Yes we had away wins. A win is a win but we got battered at luton and Birmingham. ,

What don't you get? Like it or not, those players you mention won the league last season. No-one is arguing that they were bought to be stars in the Championship (though they did show for a quarter of the season that they could be "good enough") or that they were bought to be sold on for a profit.

The position we were in when Richardson was sacked was a snapshot. We may have gone down ... then again, we might not. However, in recent history, every time the club has backed the manager following a poor run, we've stayed up. Alternatively, every time we've got rid of the manager, we've followed that up by getting rid of the next one too ... and still going down! Oh, and Richardson was involved in turning round both of those seasons where we stayed up ... and no, I'm not including Sheridan in this equation, cos a) he was shit, b) he didn't have a team, and c) he was still shit !

(I'll ignore the bit about knowing nothing about football, as firstly, I've never professed to, and secondly, it would be silly for two posters who both know nothing about football to be arguing about who knows less :halo:).

At least I have some inspiration for 12th Man this week.
:whist:

Sinani is 25 year old, Luxenbourg international attacking midfielder (seems to be able to play across the pitch). Was on loan at Huddersfield last season in their promotion push, ade 47 apperances, scoring 7 goals and getting 5 assists.

Back at Norwich this season he's made 19 apperances with 2 goals and 4 assists, with most appearances being from the bench. Sounds like he came back to Norwich in strong form but fallen out of favour since.

Vaguely remember the name from last season but can't remember seeing him, sounds decent from his record.

It would be another loan. So clearly Fletcher, Tiehie or Aziz mustn't be fancied to start every week by Maloney.
Sinani is the type of player we need. We lack creativity and a goal threat, he offers both of those things at this level.

After seeing Azeez play I’d say he isn’t ready to start games regularly so might get left out. I’m not saying he doesn’t have the quality, he just looked a bit lightweight and didn’t seem to fancy the physical side of the game.

Welsh Journalist working for Sunday Mirror seems to think Bennett will be going back to Cardiff.

Good stuff if true, frees up a squad space and wage.

We won’t spent money until we get scouts/recruitment team that are competent, every player we spent a transfer fee for has not played, loaned out or not good enough to spring a profit and make them worth the fee. Only exception is Kerr. Unless they trust Maloney then it won’t happen.

I don't have a problem recruiting experienced players, especially in L1, you can't win that league without experience as we've proven in all three of our recent title wins (all of which were won with an experienced core).

The issue is that when we do go young, far more often than not, we get it wrong and this needs to change. I don't know many worse than us when it comes to signing lower league players or players from Scotland. The happy clappers can no longer play the McCarthy/McArthur/Moses cards anymore, it's been over ten years! We got unlucky with a couple of the Cook players who ended up sold on the cheap due to administration but apart from them, I genuinely can't remember the last lower league/Scottish based player we bought for a fee who went on to turn us a big profit. That has to change if the club is to become sustainable. To sign the likes of Scully, McGrath, Bogle, Laurent, Mandron, Humphrys, Jordan Jones etc and fail to turn a profit on any of them isn't good enough and of that lot listed, only Humphrys made any sort of impact for us on the pitch.

I have to give a special mention to Scully because his treatment just absolutely baffles me. 35 goals from 101 L1 appearances. To put that into perspective, Jamal Lowe across two L1 seasons for Pompey got 25 goals in 105. On paper, that's EXACTLY the sort of lower league gem we should be signing, playing and selling on within the next two-three seasons for a significant profit. I can't wait for it all to come out in the wash regarding his time here when he eventually leaves, which it will one day. Something has clearly gone on.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem recruiting experienced players, especially in L1, you can't win that league without experience as we've proven in all three of our recent title wins (all of which were won with an experienced core).

The issue is that when we do go young, far more often than not, we get it wrong and this needs to change. I don't know many worse than us when it comes to signing lower league players or players from Scotland. The happy clappers can no longer play the McCarthy/McArthur/Moses cards anymore, it's been over ten years! We got unlucky with a couple of the Cook players who ended up sold on the cheap due to administration but apart from them, I genuinely can't remember the last lower league/Scottish based player we bought for a fee who went on to turn us a big profit. That has to change if the club is to become sustainable. To sign the likes of Scully, McGrath, Bogle, Laurent, Mandron, Humphrys, Jordan Jones etc and fail to turn a profit on any of them isn't good enough and of that lot listed, only Humphrys made any sort of impact for us on the pitch.

I have to give a special mention to Scully because his treatment just absolutely baffles me. 35 goals from 101 L1 appearances. To put that into perspective, Jamal Lowe across two L1 seasons for Pompey got 25 goals in 105. On paper, that's EXACTLY the sort of lower league gem we should be signing, playing and selling on within the next two-three seasons for a significant profit. I can't wait for it all to come out in the wash regarding his time here when he eventually leaves, which it will one day. Something has clearly gone on.
Your right will Scully. All these saying he’s not good enough he’s never had a bloody chance. And if we drop into league one. And if he’s here we will be expecting him to hit that form. Again.