January moves? | Page 36 | Vital Football

January moves?

The more the Fox deal drags on, the more im thinking going for Milosevic as our CB signing to replace Burn is more viable. Sheff Wed were reportedly in for him before we took him on trial and again with Fox, O Neill may wish to have a look at him until end of season so might refuse to let him go till summer.

If that is case, i would leave any deal for him, sign Milosevic on deal till end of season with option to extend at end of season providing we survive. Then bring in another creative midfielder and a striker and that to be is all we need in Jan window. Im concious of making too many changes like has happened last few times we have been at this level.

Been speaking to a lot of AIK fans about Milosevic and heard nothing but gleaming reports of him. Was a huge part in winning them the league last year by all accounts with them only conceding 17 all season.

He's out of contract now as was only on a short term contract to get back playing after sporadic appearances at Besiktas. Apparently, according to supporters, his main concern is gametime and would love to move to a bigger league (i.e. the Championship) but only if he is guaranteed to play or thinks he can push his way into the starting XI. If he doesn't think that can happen he's pledged he'll sign a new contract with AIK.

Personally I think he would be a real coup and screams of a quality player who just wasn't given the chance to prove himself at his big European football move to Besiktas. Can't be on huge wages either as AIK are only a small club financially, despite being the best team in Sweden, as they pump a lot of their money into their successful ice hockey team under the same AIK umbrella.

The Swedish league ended over two months ago and Milosevic has only played one game since then with the national team. Worth thinking about.

AIK played a back three all season, while i dont watch enough of the league or AIK to give a 100% accurate view of Milosevic he is a good defender and i would not be against signing him.
One concern is that the Swedish league is on a lower level than the Championship, players like Mikael Antonsson, Pawel Cibicki and Niclas Eliasson have all moved to the Championship from the Swedish league and struggled to make an impact or have been really poor.
Both Cibicki and Antonsson is now back in Sweden.

The Swedish league ended over two months ago and Milosevic has only played one game since then with the national team. Worth thinking about.

AIK played a back three all season, while i dont watch enough of the league or AIK to give a 100% accurate view of Milosevic he is a good defender and i would not be against signing him.
One concern is that the Swedish league is on a lower level than the Championship, players like Mikael Antonsson, Pawel Cibicki and Niclas Eliasson have all moved to the Championship from the Swedish league and struggled to make an impact or have been really poor.
Both Cibicki and Antonsson is now back in Sweden.
Pontus Jansson however did rather better.

This bloke sounds far better than anyone I’ve heard so far, he’s a winner obviously as he has two league titles to his name, also capped internationally and a good age. But this is Latics so of course we’ll sign the mediocre English 32 year old who is universally disliked at his current club.

Could we have the answers already within the club? Our youth team has just beaten a 'strong' Mansfield development team 6-0. Gelhardt scoring again. They will play Liverpool in the next round of the FA Youth Cup. It is clear we have a very good bunch of young players, maybe the best we've had in recent years. Is it worth putting a Gelhardt or another on the bench?

When I saw Gelhardt on the highlights the other day he looked like a fairly solid youngster - bit similar to Rooney when he came through....

Pontus Jansson however did rather better.

This bloke sounds far better than anyone I’ve heard so far, he’s a winner obviously as he has two league titles to his name, also capped internationally and a good age. But this is Latics so of course we’ll sign the mediocre English 32 year old who is universally disliked at his current club.

Pontus Jansson had two years at Torino before he came to Leeds but yes he has done very well.

Edit: Lasse Vibe did well at Brentford coming from IFK Göteborg.

The Milosovic thing confuses me a bit - he is aparrently willing to come and free - so IF we think he is good enough what are we waiting for?

But IF we aren't sure he is good enough why are we looking at him?

If the Swedish league finished 2 months ago and he's been sitting at home waiting surely we had him identified while he was playing last season and this isnt a name we've only started looking at a week ago. So he could've been signed on a pre contract and training with us back in December ready to hit the ground running fully fit and used to his team mates.

I can understand when there are loads of options and fees involved and we are waiting for other clubs to buy replacements, we are trying to negotiate fees etc - but if this lad is good enough then surely we do the deal and concentrate on getting in other positions.

I have never seen the lad play but i just think we either rate him or we don't so get the deal done now if we do or dont even bother if we dont.

Everyone has a price. If we could afford a £million a day, Messi would be here. ... 'only for money '.. thats were we are at now with football, sorry to say.

Pontus Jansson had two years at Torino before he came to Leeds but yes he has done very well.

Edit: Lasse Vibe did well at Brentford coming from IFK Göteborg.
Good old Brentford, now there’s a team we could only dream of scouting as well as. Notice they pocketed another 12 million today after selling free transfer Mepham to Bournemouth. The day we are even half as competant as they are at player recruitment, I’ll be old, grey and unable to attend games to enjoy our new signings in the flesh.

Good old Brentford, now there’s a team we could only dream of scouting as well as. Notice they pocketed another 12 million today after selling free transfer Mepham to Bournemouth. The day we are even half as competant as they are at player recruitment, I’ll be old, grey and unable to attend games to enjoy our new signings in the flesh.
I dont know mate just look who we have recruited in the last 12 months Vaughan, Walker, Cole, Naismith, Windass, Garner, Evans, Gibson, Mcmanaman, Kipre, Lopes, Pilkington. Theres 12 there. Plenty for the future in that lot.

They may also sell another 2 frees in Sawyers and Maupay for a combined 15m plus this window. But you know they will just reinvest a fraction of that and find another few gems and not end up drastically weaker. They make scouting and recruitment easy while we make it look like the hardest thing in the world.

Our number one target should be to throw money at Brentford and Peterborough scouting team to get them here. As scouts I imagine they aren't on a fraction of what we pay our worst players - so make them big offers as if they could do half as well as they do there for us it would be 10 times better than our recruitment process. We should've tried that with our former player Paul Mitchell after he fell out with Spurs before he went Germany

Mark Warburton is looking for work and was director of football at Brentford when they were starting to find all the gems so I'd look at maybe getting him in.

There's no way we would have been an attractive proposition for Paul Mitchell. His stock was high at Southampton and was even higher when he was at Spurs. Still wouldn't be surprised to see United poach him and reunite him with Pochettino in the summer.

Back to us. As has been mentioned, Brentford show just how it should be done in terms of the scouting but you do wonder where their ambition is. It's great they unearth all these players, but if all you're going to do is blood them to get accustomed to the League and then sell them, how do you move forward on the pitch? Unless their strategy is to bank the money to pay for their new stadium. Sooner or later you would think the owners would want to start to build a team with the players they find.

I don't think their success is purely down to scouting. Isn't their chairman a Money Ball type man? It's what our Sharpey was practicing when he was chairman and is now trying to branch into in a professional capacity.

I want to see what young Royle brings to our table now in the recruitment stakes as he has a background in identifying young talent that hasn't been picked up.

If anyone on here is going to the Forum, could you ask him please?

We seem to have a pretty good system of nuturing young talent at Latics looking at the results the youth squads turn in.
We now need to find the secret into turning them into seasoned professional footballers.
That progression could be the key.
Finding someone who could do that should be high on the agenda.

There's no way we would have been an attractive proposition for Paul Mitchell. His stock was high at Southampton and was even higher when he was at Spurs. Still wouldn't be surprised to see United poach him and reunite him with Pochettino in the summer.

Back to us. As has been mentioned, Brentford show just how it should be done in terms of the scouting but you do wonder where their ambition is. It's great they unearth all these players, but if all you're going to do is blood them to get accustomed to the League and then sell them, how do you move forward on the pitch? Unless their strategy is to bank the money to pay for their new stadium. Sooner or later you would think the owners would want to start to build a team with the players they find.

I don't think their success is purely down to scouting. Isn't their chairman a Money Ball type man? It's what our Sharpey was practicing when he was chairman and is now trying to branch into in a professional capacity.

I want to see what young Royle brings to our table now in the recruitment stakes as he has a background in identifying young talent that hasn't been picked up.

If anyone on here is going to the Forum, could you ask him please?

Mitchell had fallen out royally with Spurs and was available for a while, so my plan wouldn't have been so much to bring him in full time as i expect like you he wouldn't have fancied it. More like with Garry Cook i'd have offered him a fee to come in for a period to benefit from his experience and contacts and set the system up. If you're former club offers you say 200k or something to go in for 2 months or so to help them set something up when you are sitting at home not doing anything - i think we'd have had a good chance of getting him in short term.

I think the thing with Brentford is just like every club at this level - you lose money by the millions every year. Whelan said it's 4m loss per year min, Sharpe said he expected this years losses to be over 10m. So i think Brentford do a combination of keeping the debts down and then putting money aside for a new stadium, plus likely putting money aside for a rainy day. Also they do keep signing new players for a couple of mill here and there and their extensive scouting system probably incurs some costs maybe other clubs don't. I think Brentford will eventually build and team and go up to the Prem but i think they are just slowly building to that, as it's always worth remembering they have come a long way in a very short space of time so i think they just are not over extending themselves and making sure the clubs foundations are rock solid.

Their success is based on formulas, analtics and statistics in terms of the way they play and recruit, it's a very unusual and interesting concept. If Sharpe was trying to implement something similar here, it showed no signs of delivering, so we clearly lack some of the know how or tools to do it. So that's why i'd be keen to try and poach some of the people who've been working in it - if it was at all possible.

Millwall apparently in for Matt Smith from QPR - 6'6 target man - seems to have spells wherever he goes he is the main man then drifts into being just a sub. We could certainly do worse if we are intending to keep using a lot of long balls.