January moves? | Page 69 | Vital Football

January moves?

Jonas Olsson never had pace, isn't banged up and can play the ball out from the back, so, I'm quite pleasantly surprised about him coming in. Still, I have my doubts as now we've really pushed the average age of the squad up massively.

I'm not convinced that our returning loanees get anywhere near the first team and all the talk of investing in youth, after this window's business, looks like folly at best a complete and utter lie at worst.

Jonas Olsson never had pace, isn't banged up and can play the ball out from the back, so, I'm quite pleasantly surprised about him coming in. Still, I have my doubts as now we've really pushed the average age of the squad up massively.

I'm not convinced that our returning loanees get anywhere near the first team and all the talk of investing in youth, after this window's business, looks like folly at best a complete and utter lie at worst.

I think they probably realise they took over when we were in a bit of a crisis and we just need to buy to keep us up first. If that works they will likely prob look at younger players in the summer and hopefully by then the promised improved recruitment set up will be in place and some of the kids closer to breaking through.

Olsson in until the end of the season. Another experienced head at the back, considering how leaky our defence has been it might not be a bad shout.

But if we refuse to play Byrne or James at left back, we need to go and get a left back on a free too - there are a number of free agents we could look into that would surely come in on a cheap short term deal to give us an option as Naismith isn't a left back and tbh i'm not sure Robinson is either.

Also there are a number of out of contract strikers we could look at if we felt the need.

Any chance you know whos available??

Any chance you know whos available??

Go on transfermarkt.com and search for free agents for the full list. There are quite a few who only just became available in the last couple of weeks with the US and Scandinavian season's finishing and contracts expiring plus a few others who just terminated their contract by mutual consent to get a move after the window shuts.

Some of the bigger names that were on there were Joe Ledley, Jordan Mutch and Giuseppe Rossi. Familiar faces in Ridgewell and Figueroa, can't remember many others off top of my head.

Go on transfermarkt.com and search for free agents for the full list. There are quite a few who only just became available in the last couple of weeks with the US and Scandinavian season's finishing and contracts expiring plus a few others who just terminated their contract by mutual consent to get a move after the window shuts.

Some of the bigger names that were on there were Joe Ledley, Jordan Mutch and Giuseppe Rossi. Familiar faces in Ridgewell and Figueroa, can't remember many others off top of my head.

Think Ridgewell signed for hull last night. Looking now theres some ok names but youve no idea just how washed up they are or what wages theyd need. Rossi for example would be enormous wages

Think Ridgewell signed for hull last night. Looking now theres some ok names but youve no idea just how washed up they are or what wages theyd need. Rossi for example would be enormous wages

Absolutely. The suggestion wasnt so much to sign Rossi just illustrate the variety of names on there as like you said he prob wouldnt get out of bed for less than 50k!

Didnt realise Ridgewell had moved id have had a look at him otherwise.

Tbh i stopped paying attention to anything non Latics related in football so I'm not familiar with any of the names outside the UK these days which is a lot of the list. So I'm not sure who would be a good suggestion personally. But I'd like to think that our scouts are doing their homework on them and can find a gem in the list available.

If all of them are getting paid nothing at the moment and sitting at home without a club you never know you might have a chance to get someone you wouldn't have thought would fancy it.

Absolutely. The suggestion wasnt so much to sign Rossi just illustrate the variety of names on there as like you said he prob wouldnt get out of bed for less than 50k!

Didnt realise Ridgewell had moved id have had a look at him otherwise.

Tbh i stopped paying attention to anything non Latics related in football so I'm not familiar with any of the names outside the UK these days which is a lot of the list. So I'm not sure who would be a good suggestion personally. But I'd like to think that our scouts are doing their homework on them and can find a gem in the list available.

If all of them are getting paid nothing at the moment and sitting at home without a club you never know you might have a chance to get someone you wouldn't have thought would fancy it.

Thing is do we need a left back so badly if robinson is back soon?

Thing is do we need a left back so badly if robinson is back soon?

I suspect that is why we haven't signed one on deadline day tbh. As I saw Kendrick implying we weren't chasing one as Robinson would be like a new signing.

Personally I don't think Robinson can defend at all so I would say yes. But when he is on form he's a great threat from full back getting involced in attacks so it's swings and round abouts. I'd be perfectly happy with Byrne or James playing there too but we've been reluctant to do that.