January moves? | Page 68 | Vital Football

January moves?

Jonas Olsson is the free agent. 35. Ex-West Brom. We’re now just stockpiling aging veterans looking for one last pay day before retiring.

This is a re-run of the second half of our two prior Championship seasons. Utterly incredible that we just steadfastly refuse to learn from our own mistakes. Baffling.

Jonas Olsson is the free agent. 35. Ex-West Brom. We’re now just stockpiling aging veterans looking for one last pay day before retiring.

This is a re-run of the second half of our two prior Championship seasons. Utterly incredible that we just steadfastly refuse to learn from our own mistakes. Baffling.

Did you not say this time yesterday it has been a successful transfer window? - Although I could be thinking of someone else.
** Corrected - you said "improvement"

Last edited:
If it was the start of a window and we were offered 2.5 I’d probably take it given we have adequate time to find a replacement.
On deadline day, I wouldn’t take less than 4.
Tbh I’m actually surprised Sunderland paid that high a fee. Showing a lot of ambition at least. As for us, Jonas Olssonn is surely just a waste of a wage, surely wouldn’t get in ahead of kipre dunkley fox. If it came to it would rather they give youth a chance over some washed up has been.

Stop talking sense please Moonay, it really doesn't work on here, really cannot believe some of the comments on here today, yes Grigg will be missed but how can anyone turn down that amount for a player who wasn't going to play regularly?

Each to their own in what we believe to be 'talking sense'......one person's junk is another person's treasure. Grigg wasn't playing regularly but PC did say he was waiting for the right moment & other injured players to come back then put him in. Also said he was part of his plans. Add to that if we do go down whose likely to score the goals to get us back up....an ageing Clarke, a lightweight Windass or a proven goalscorer in Grigg. It's just yet another inept display from our lacklustre board & a bottler manager.

Each to their own in what we believe to be 'talking sense'......one person's junk is another person's treasure. Grigg wasn't playing regularly but PC did say he was waiting for the right moment & other injured players to come back then put him in. Also said he was part of his plans. Add to that if we do go down whose likely to score the goals to get us back up....an ageing Clarke, a lightweight Windass or a proven goalscorer in Grigg. It's just yet another inept display from our lacklustre board & a bottler manager.
Love the ambition of some fans about keeping Grigg in case we go down! Thank god the club had more ambition than you and look towards the Championship next season!

The extra name in the frame that Kenrdick was talking about was Jonas Olsson according to Nixon, the massive former West Brom centre back. He's been playing in Sweden for the last couple of years and is coming up on 36 now - he was a brilliant player in the Prem back in his prime but no idea what he's like now.

I still can't find any link to Anichibie, i think Kendrick may have even tweeted that was not a real rumour, but i could be wrong on that one.

Or alternatively two strikers gone and a 34 year old previous failure brought in.

Still no left back.

No keeper.

Net result, anger and disappointment across the majority of the fan base. More importantly it spotlights the new owners intentions. Or lack of. IEC and the puppet chairman can all fuck off for me.

If we are going to call Clarke a failure though then that must mean Grigg is failure too at this level, as Clarke scored more goals in open play than Grigg this season and scored more goals last season than Griggs 3 seasons in the Championship combined. In which case we've banked 4m for a failure.

I do agree though the failure to source a left back is really really poor and not signing a new keeper i think a mistake.

If we are going to call Clarke a failure though then that must mean Grigg is failure too at this level, as Clarke scored more goals in open play than Grigg this season and scored more goals last season than Griggs 3 seasons in the Championship combined. In which case we've banked 4m for a failure.

I do agree though the failure to source a left back is really really poor and not signing a new keeper i think a mistake.
And if we had paid £4m for Clarke who has a much better record in the Championship than Grigg imagine the meltdown on here!!

Love the ambition of some fans about keeping Grigg in case we go down! Thank god the club had more ambition than you and look towards the Championship next season!

Ambition.....selling your current top scorer, yep that'll be ambition by the bucket load. By keeping Grigg hardly smacks of a lack if Ambition & as for in case we go down have you seen our recent performances of late.
Insurance policies - we don't have them cause we want to use them but as an added security just in case you ever have a problem / accident they're there. Bit like Grigg could have been but with the added bonus that we could have used him till at least the end of the season & possibly scored a fair few goals keeping us in this division....is that ok for you Exiled...a wee bit of ambition sprinkled with a bit of desire.

Ambition.....selling your current top scorer, yep that'll be ambition by the bucket load. By keeping Grigg hardly smacks of a lack if Ambition & as for in case we go down have you seen our recent performances of late.
Insurance policies - we don't have them cause we want to use them but as an added security just in case you ever have a problem / accident they're there. Bit like Grigg could have been but with the added bonus that we could have used him till at least the end of the season & possibly scored a fair few goals keeping us in this division....is that ok for you Exiled...a wee bit of ambition sprinkled with a bit of desire.

not really the point Jock,we have sold a player we do not think is good enough for this league,if we expect to be in this league next year then getting rid now for a bloated price makes total sense both financially and tactically!As you say it is a matter of opinion and though we differ i can see your point but politely disagree

No need to worry too much, last time Garner played in league one he scored 25 goals. He's probably improved since then as it was 4 or 5 years ago. Vaughan had 24 for bury(he was 3rd choice for us) If we go down with our budget we will always be expected to bounce back. Hopefully the experienced players we've signed in Jan can do enough to help us stay up, then we can add some talent to the squad before next season.

Would of liked another winger, striker and keeper. Wasn't to be though.

To be fair though it's a 3 way tie with Garner and Powell as our top scorer and that isn't impressive in the least as it's only 4, with 3 of Griggs being pens.

If you take out penalites our top scorers look like this:

3 - Jacobs (despite missing half the season)
3 - Powell (despite only being fully fit for about 5 games)
3 - Windass
2- Garner
2 - Vaughan
2 - Roberts
1- Grigg
1- Connolly
1 - Massey
1 - Naismith
1- Morsy
1- James
1 - McMannaman

Grigg has not been sitting on the bench because he's been playing well.
So are really really losing that much if the plan is to stay up?

Not having a replacement is a different issue, but i think we aren't losing as much as people think.

not really the point Jock,we have sold a player we do not think is good enough for this league,if we expect to be in this league next year then getting rid now for a bloated price makes total sense both financially and tactically!As you say it is a matter of opinion and though we differ i can see your point but politely disagree

Ditto....we didn't know if he wasn't good enough in this league as he never got a decent run & in his few games never got the service. "Makes sense tactically" - have to agree to disagree( politely mind u) .
As for your earlier remark " cannot believe the comments on here" - if you've been to a fair few of our games of late & the performances on show then you'd understand why some fans are unhappy & the sale of Grigg is the icing on the cake of how disgruntled fans are hence some perhaps perceived over the top comments. Frustration and bewilderment which leads to some fans doubting this new lot in charge - this doesn't say that the said fans of have a lack of ambition merely they are concerned for a club they support & want the best for.

Ditto....we didn't know if he wasn't good enough in this league as he never got a decent run & in his few games never got the service. "Makes sense tactically" - have to agree to disagree( politely mind u) .
As for your earlier remark " cannot believe the comments on here" - if you've been to a fair few of our games of late & the performances on show then you'd understand why some fans are unhappy & the sale of Grigg is the icing on the cake of how disgruntled fans are hence some perhaps perceived over the top comments. Frustration and bewilderment which leads to some fans doubting this new lot in charge - this doesn't say that the said fans of have a lack of ambition merely they are concerned for a club they support & want the best for.
Jock i think we all support and want the best for our club and agree that some fans have misgivings about the new owners,lets hope come June those misgivings are wide of the mark! We all support our club and continue to do so no matter who owns it!

Olsson in until the end of the season. Another experienced head at the back, considering how leaky our defence has been it might not be a bad shout.

But if we refuse to play Byrne or James at left back, we need to go and get a left back on a free too - there are a number of free agents we could look into that would surely come in on a cheap short term deal to give us an option as Naismith isn't a left back and tbh i'm not sure Robinson is either.

Also there are a number of out of contract strikers we could look at if we felt the need.

Fox will most likely play at left back until Robinson is fit. He's played that position most of his career. Being able to play left back and CB is going to be useful for our lack of depth in those two positions.

With Olsson signing we have 4 decent options now at CB. He's a better player than Bruce. Experienced at a higher level, stronger and isn't going to be out sized. Probably going to be one of the slowest in the league, but shouldn't be an issue with his experience and positioning.

Jock i think we all support and want the best for our club and agree that some fans have misgivings about the new owners,lets hope come June those misgivings are wide of the mark! We all support our club and continue to do so no matter who owns it!

Absolutely Exiled...come June I certainly hope we are still in this division & the board have announced a commitment to strengthen the squad with a serious push for the greed league!!!!

More likely they'll be trying to flog everything that isn't nailed down following relegation to league one when the reality dawns on them.

Absolutely Exiled...come June I certainly hope we are still in this division & the board have announced a commitment to strengthen the squad with a serious push for the greed league!!!!

Jock mate, if you are expecting them to push the boat out in the summer think again. If you listen to the interview and read the statement they put out it has always been their intention to build gradually and within the clubs means. They are hoping to find young talent to improve and sell on to balance the books, there is no pot of gold. Will Grigg is the way that the club is moving, buy at a decent price and move on for a hefty profit. Unlike Sharpy and Whelan these guys have no attachment to the fans or the club, to them it is a business, better get used to it because no amount of angst on this site is going to change the way they operate. I have no doubt they will use some of the money from Griggs transfer to entice Powell to sign a new deal to prevent him leaving for free in the summer, but believe me if a decent bid comes in he will go. The longer he has on his contract the bigger the fee they will ask, its what Liverpool did with both Suarez and Coutinho.