January moves? | Page 67 | Vital Football

January moves?

Not been on here for a while due to my self imposed exile, but I see we still have the same BS and bile from the usual suspects day after day.
If we had signed Messi you would still have been moaning about how old he was, a has been.
I am pi**ed off that Grigg has gone, but in the cold light of day you can understand the boards decision for the price.
People hysterically accusing Cook of lying are way off the mark, he always said he wanted to keep him but every player has their price and unfortunately Sunderland upped their game and went with a price they knew we couldn't turn down.
Ultimately it wasn't Cooks decision but he couldn't argue at that price.
It's the timing that really hurts, if we had sold him for £4m a few days ago then it wouldn't have been an issue to most sensible people, but we are where we are and lets get on with it so less of the hysterical teenager tantrums and idiots on SM saying they are throwing their season tickets away

Not been on here for a while due to my self imposed exile, but I see we still have the same BS and bile from the usual suspects day after day.
If we had signed Messi you would still have been moaning about how old he was, a has been.
I am pi**ed off that Grigg has gone, but in the cold light of day you can understand the boards decision for the price.
People hysterically accusing Cook of lying are way off the mark, he always said he wanted to keep him but every player has their price and unfortunately Sunderland upped their game and went with a price they knew we couldn't turn down.
It's the timing that really hurts, if we had sold him for £4m a few days ago then it wouldn't have been an issue to most sensible people, but we are where we are and lets get on with it so less of the hysterical teenager tantrums and idiots on SM saying they are throwing their season tickets away
If it was that price. Ten minutes before that price was shown it was £1.5 million.

Another January window, another mixed bag. I'll not discuss the previously done deals, as they were gone over back in August.

I'll get the obvious one out of the way, Will Grigg. It is fair to say that he was kind of drifting when we got him from Brentford, having been on loan. People can be justifiably upset, he's as big a cult figure as Jimmy Bullard, Andy Liddell, et al. I do believe that there is still a fantastic talent in him, maybe he's short of a yard of pace but that didn't stop him holding off Kyle Walker and nicking us a win vs City.
With colder eyes, £4m, plus add ons, (I expect it would be promotion, goals, profit on next sale) is decent value. I wish we'd have kept him but now, looking at Paul Cook's speech on "I'd love to play him but" seemed a bit prophetic.

Jordan Flores, well, I had a soft spot for him and my heart went out to him after the car crash. I think he stagnated somewhat and that's a real shame, as he's a talented kid, hasn't quite unlocked it yet.

Leo da Silva Lopes - Why did we buy him exactly? Where's his best position? Do they know? Do they care? I'm mystified by it, especially because people raved about him.

James Vaughan - bit injury prone, has done a good job for us, but he's a journeyman striker and needs first team football. Probably got fed up of playing second fiddle to Neil Roberts.. Er.. Joe Garner.

Alex Bruce - can't argue with this one, not played, never looked like he was going to.

Joe Piggott - He's done okay and Accrington should aid his development, but I'm not sure what his contract situation is, I'd keep him one more year but I'm not sure they will.

Leon Clarke - bit older and similar to Vaughan for me, obviously a bit more composed in front of goal but the hkng about him is that he basically needs the team to be built round him to get anything from him. He wasnt great last time round, but he has done the business at this level before and you're hoping that at least he's able to bring our attacking midfielders into play, more than the other forwards we have.

Anthony Pilkington is better than what we have. Reece James aside, hands down the best signing Paul Cook has made for me. Wish we'd had him in August instead of now though.

Danny Fox - not sure if he's coming as a centre back, which we need, or a left back, which we need. Robinson is back training, but he's steady, if a little bit overly aggressive at times.

Beni Baningime - Under our noses, his brother Divin is here knocking goals in for the development squad (get to that in a minute) and comes highly rated from our parent club, Everton. Callum Connolly was an abject failure this time round. This lad is a grafter and so will help us dig in a bit. Might be another Reece James (I hope).

So, all in all, balancing the books, again, padding out the squad a little, that needed it, however again I'm frustrated with the club's statements on development of our players. The young lads are playing amazing football, banging goals in, out playing larger clubs and we STILL HAVEN'T SEEN ONE OM THE BENCH!!! I have zero faith in the management team actually giving any of them a chance. I get we are in a position where it is difficult to give these guys a chance but pressure creates diamonds at times. The fan's forum will be all platitudes and placating, but it isn't good enough. The squad was thin on the ground, we've limped into a relegation dogfight and hanging our hats and players pushing 32+ and a bunch of loanees, again. I'm not confident, but I'm hopeful that we have a bit more than the current bottom three.

Out of contract player reported as Victor Anichebe - FFS we'll end up with more Donkeys than Blackpool beach
He's bang on recruitment profile though having played for both Everton and Sunderland ?

Where have you got that from? Kendrick said the out of contract player wasn't a striker yesterday and I can't find anything that says Anichebe is a real link.

Out of contract player reported as Victor Anichebe - FFS we'll end up with more Donkeys than Blackpool beach
He's bang on recruitment profile though having played for both Everton and Sunderland ?
No it isn't, let's stick to facts!

Another January window, another mixed bag. I'll not discuss the previously done deals, as they were gone over back in August.

I'll get the obvious one out of the way, Will Grigg. It is fair to say that he was kind of drifting when we got him from Brentford, having been on loan. People can be justifiably upset, he's as big a cult figure as Jimmy Bullard, Andy Liddell, et al. I do believe that there is still a fantastic talent in him, maybe he's short of a yard of pace but that didn't stop him holding off Kyle Walker and nicking us a win vs City.
With colder eyes, £4m, plus add ons, (I expect it would be promotion, goals, profit on next sale) is decent value. I wish we'd have kept him but now, looking at Paul Cook's speech on "I'd love to play him but" seemed a bit prophetic.

Jordan Flores, well, I had a soft spot for him and my heart went out to him after the car crash. I think he stagnated somewhat and that's a real shame, as he's a talented kid, hasn't quite unlocked it yet.

Leo da Silva Lopes - Why did we buy him exactly? Where's his best position? Do they know? Do they care? I'm mystified by it, especially because people raved about him.

James Vaughan - bit injury prone, has done a good job for us, but he's a journeyman striker and needs first team football. Probably got fed up of playing second fiddle to Neil Roberts.. Er.. Joe Garner.

Alex Bruce - can't argue with this one, not played, never looked like he was going to.

Joe Piggott - He's done okay and Accrington should aid his development, but I'm not sure what his contract situation is, I'd keep him one more year but I'm not sure they will.

Leon Clarke - bit older and similar to Vaughan for me, obviously a bit more composed in front of goal but the hkng about him is that he basically needs the team to be built round him to get anything from him. He wasnt great last time round, but he has done the business at this level before and you're hoping that at least he's able to bring our attacking midfielders into play, more than the other forwards we have.

Anthony Pilkington is better than what we have. Reece James aside, hands down the best signing Paul Cook has made for me. Wish we'd had him in August instead of now though.

Danny Fox - not sure if he's coming as a centre back, which we need, or a left back, which we need. Robinson is back training, but he's steady, if a little bit overly aggressive at times.

Beni Baningime - Under our noses, his brother Divin is here knocking goals in for the development squad (get to that in a minute) and comes highly rated from our parent club, Everton. Callum Connolly was an abject failure this time round. This lad is a grafter and so will help us dig in a bit. Might be another Reece James (I hope).

So, all in all, balancing the books, again, padding out the squad a little, that needed it, however again I'm frustrated with the club's statements on development of our players. The young lads are playing amazing football, banging goals in, out playing larger clubs and we STILL HAVEN'T SEEN ONE OM THE BENCH!!! I have zero faith in the management team actually giving any of them a chance. I get we are in a position where it is difficult to give these guys a chance but pressure creates diamonds at times. The fan's forum will be all platitudes and placating, but it isn't good enough. The squad was thin on the ground, we've limped into a relegation dogfight and hanging our hats and players pushing 32+ and a bunch of loanees, again. I'm not confident, but I'm hopeful that we have a bit more than the current bottom three.

Who was raving about Lopes? It certainly wasn't the Peterborough fans and anyone who watched them on Sky last season against our promotion rivals would've seen him be the worst player on the pitch each time. I remember reading the news we paid near a million for a Peterborough player and i went to find out who it was thinking 'they had a few decent ones; Maddison, Edwards, Lloyd, as long as it's not that Lopes that could be someone decent' and my heart sank.

i look at it this way grigg is great at league 1 level but in the championship he struggles
yes grigg was a cult hero for many ,but dont let the heart rule the head im pleased to get 4m for what is basically a league 1 standard player
but very disappointed we didnt get a replacement in
but the club held out untill the last minuet to get the best offer we could and it worked
i will stick by the club on this one because i really believe grigg himself wanted to leave to go back to his comfort zone league 1

A complete and utter shit show of a transfer window. New owners, yet I've never known such anger. We've needed a left back since June and have been forced to play a league two winger there yet complete ineptitude in recruiting one. They have failed. We've flogged two strikers and replaced them with a 34 year old that's previously failed here. We are in a relegation battle and are now weaker than we were when it opened. It is unacceptable.

We've spent just 300 grand on a player and conspired to completely destroy the goodwill and atmosphere amongst the fan base. Selling Grigg would have been a sensitive decision at the best of times but to do so as the window closes when he can't be replaced I think is the biggest PR disaster this club has ever undertaken. It's an utterly underhand, despicable decision.

You nake good points but worryingly do you trust them to reinvest the money?

MiW ...... I'll see your "complete and utter shit show", and raise it with a "not bad when you think about it":

In:
Pilkington - Decent
Clarke - Great record last season
Fox - Good experience
Baningme - Sounds like a great prospect

Out:
Bruce - no loss really
Lopes - Cracked no pots
Connolly - disappointed the lad did so poorly, but no loss
Vaughan - Meh, ........worked hard, but rarely delivered
Grigg - Really sad to see him go .......... and I truly believe we didn't intend to sell him ......... but FOUR MILLION QUID !!! .......... shit, of course they're going to let him go.

Returned:
Cole - Will he be used? ......... could turn out to be an unexpected gem
Walker - ditto .................................. though less likely ditto here

With Robinson returning from injury (doesn't he play LB?) and hopefully Powell soon to return, I reckon we're stronger at the end of the window than at the start.

Shame Grigg's gone though.

MiW ...... I'll see your "complete and utter shit show", and raise it with a "not bad when you think about it":

In:
Pilkington - Decent
Fox - Good experience

Out:
Bruce - no loss really
Lopes - Cracked no pots
Grigg - Really sad to see him go .......... and I truly believe we didn't intend to sell him ......... but FOUR MILLION QUID !!! .......... shit, of course they're going to let him go.

Returned:

With Robinson returning from injury (doesn't he play LB?) and hopefully Powell soon to return, I reckon we're stronger at the end of the window than at the start.

Stop talking sense please Moonay, it really doesn't work on here, really cannot believe some of the comments on here today, yes Grigg will be missed but how can anyone turn down that amount for a player who wasn't going to play regularly?

In:
Pilkington - Decent
Fox - Good experience

Out:
Bruce - no loss really
Lopes - Cracked no pots

Returned:

Or alternatively two strikers gone and a 34 year old previous failure brought in.

Still no left back.

No keeper.

Net result, anger and disappointment across the majority of the fan base. More importantly it spotlights the new owners intentions. Or lack of. IEC and the puppet chairman can all fuck off for me.

In:
Pilkington - Decent
Fox - Good experience

Out:
Bruce - no loss really
Lopes - Cracked no pots

Returned:

I think we've stayed where we are. No stronger, no weaker, but will be stronger with returning players. Bolton have got weaker, Rotherham, Ipswich, Millwall all seem to have treaded water like us. Only Reading have strengthened on paper, but on paper doesn't always translate on to the pitch.

In the scheme of things we've lost a grand total of 4 goals from our team - it's not the end of the world. As I've mentioned in the other thread our strength could be goals from across the park from the likes of Jacobs, Powell, Pilkington etc on top of some from the strikers. Losing those creative players killed our momentum but getting them back now could be important for us to start to stretch that gap from the bottom.