January 2019 Transfer Window | Page 54 | Vital Football

January 2019 Transfer Window

• Thread starter Deleted member 7310
  • Start date
My point was/is the difference in chances taken between the top 3 is miniscule - less than 2% overall; perhaps if I did an analysis of when we missed those chances, it would be more telling - but far from being wasteful, the stats tell us, we're actually pretty good - just short of the very best, which I agree would be incredible if we could be...
I don't care how anyone tries to spin it, but as you say fine margins, and it is those fine margins that make a team either Great or merely mediocre to good.
I'm sticking with Poch, Hugo and the rest of them in the team who say we need to be more clinical if we want to win anything, because that is exactly how I feel on this score, excuse the feeble pun ha ha.

Question at 40 million and Dembele wages would anyone chance Arnaugtovic? It's not like he could not play with as well as instead of H. I only mention it because I've got an ITK....

Well Llorente is 34 in Feb and Arnautovic is 3 years younger. Doesn't feel like a Spurs type signing but it would clean the squad a little if we moved out Llorente, N'Koudou and Janssen in the process.

I don't believe for one minute that we'd pay £40m though. I see he's been left out of the West Ham squad today though.

Question at 40 million and Dembele wages would anyone chance Arnaugtovic? It's not like he could not play with as well as instead of H. I only mention it because I've got an ITK....
Hasn't Poch aleready said we're not signing any strikers to take Kane's place and that he will be promoting accadamy players, plus Lloriente possibly leading the line with Dele as a false number 9 ala Messi.

Spending to hang on is a bit desperate. In our last half of football we battered Utd, our so called nearest rivals. They must still be pinching themselves that they got anything from that game, such was our superiority.

That being said, I'd happily see Spurs sign big now and not get into the summer tap dance with all the other clubs. Werner or Doucoure would have a huge impact in the coming months.

Saying that, a fit Eric Dier is probably as important as any new signing. Same with a South Korea loss in the last 16 or quarter finals next week. Same with our RB's getting their act together and putting in a string of decent performances for a change. Same with Dele and Moura finding their scoring boots.

By this summer it could quite easily be desperate. We have lost our best CM this transfer window and I expect us to lose our best CB in the summer.

Then we could even lose our best AM in Eriksen.

Then we have our best LB Rose and best DM Wana from the first 11 that have never recovered from injury problems.

So in the space of 2 years from our best 11 that would be Walker, Toby, Moose, Eriksen possibly being sold. Then two broken players on top of that.

If you lose that many of your first 11 and don't sign players of equal quality you will drop down the league pretty quickly.

We really are at a cross roads here.

Harry Redknapp has questioned whether or not Tottenham should look to bring in a striker this January to replace the injured Harry Kane.

The England captain is expected to be out until March with an ankle injury, as reported by the Evening Standard.

Former Spurs manager Redknapp admitted that he would be looking to reinforce his squad if he was Mauricio Pochettino, but questioned how effective a new signing would be.

Speaking on Saturday Sav (BT Sport 1, Saturday January 19th, 11.30am), he said: “I’d be looking for one but I don’t know where you’d find one. Who’s around who’s better than Llorente even?

“You’re only going to get somebody where you’re going to say ‘I want you to come and play for me at Tottenham, you’re going to be in the team for the next five weeks, after that you’re out again because Harry’s fit’.

“It’s difficult. If you go there you’re going to be short term, that’s all you’re going to get.”

People keep looking at the problem the wrong way.

Harry is out = we need a striker

We don’t actually play with a striker, if we signed anyone it needs to be along the line of Son/Moura/Lamela/Alli who can play anywhere across the front 3 is what we should be after.

By this summer it could quite easily be desperate. We have lost our best CM this transfer window and I expect us to lose our best CB in the summer.

Then we have our best LB Rose and best DM Wana from the first 11 that have never recovered from injury problems.

So in the space of 2 years from our best 11 that would be Walker, Toby, Moose, Eriksen possibly being sold. Then two broken players on top of that.

If you lose that many of your first 11 and don't sign players of equal quality you will drop down the league pretty quickly.

Spot on

Liverpool have over taken us - Chelsea and us there is nothing between and Arsenal and United are improving.

Agree with RD and Kiny, this not signing anyone when we were in positions of strength and keep letting our squad get weaker and weaker has been either desperately or wilfully stupid.

Dembele has not been our best CM this season and arguably last either. Toby has been replaced by Sanchez. Eriksen if he does go will generate significant money for a replacement, but he may not go. Rose and Wanyama will have to be managed but Rose is showing signs of his old self. Walker flattered to deceive, I never rated him as highly as some.

If there is a crossroads we ain't reached it yet.

Dembele has not been our best CM this season and arguably last either. Toby has been replaced by Sanchez. Eriksen if he does go will generate significant money for a replacement, but he may not go. Rose and Wanyama will have to be managed but Rose is showing signs of his old self. Walker flattered to deceive, I never rated him as highly as some.

If there is a crossroads we ain't reached it yet.

Sanchez is nowhere near the level of Toby.

2017/18 Sanchez isn't miles off 2019 Toby. Plus Sanchez pace helps cover some other players napping.

Toby still the better player but he's not been as flawless as previous seasons.

Hasn't Poch aleready said we're not signing any strikers to take Kane's place and that he will be promoting accadamy players, plus Lloriente possibly leading the line with Dele as a false number 9 ala Messi.
No I know mate. I was told some amusing tat on the stroppy West ham forwards representatives.

If we were looking to sign a striker I don't think Poch would be shouting it from the rooftops. Quite the opposite, he would be saying we don't need one.

If we were looking to sign a striker I don't think Poch would be shouting it from the rooftops. Quite the opposite, he would be saying we don't need one.
Personally I can't see us getting a striker in simply because any striker we go fr their manager will know we are desperate for one so the price will probably be double his real worth as soon as we make contact just to take advantage, you know how it works.

Few things after reading the great back and forth...well done guys!!

-One I still don't see us going after a striker for few reasons: Whoever comes in KNOWS he will be relegated to the bench as soon as Kane is back. So that will take out many top line strikers right away. We have a ready made passive back up in Llorente. He can hold the line when needed and is happy to ride the bench when Kane is back...plus like someone has stated earlier...we don't really play and out and out striker system anyway, so it shouldn't hurt too much.

-I love Moose and *When* he was healthy he was dominate. Unfortunately his health simply isn't consistent anymore, we can't keep him on the pitch for long stretches anymore. It was time to move on and I wish him the best!

-Toby will be gone...just accept it. We have two understudy's in Sanchez and Foyth that are learning and getting valuable minutes. I think both will be great in time...they could be our future. (hell maybe one can play DM as well)

-Eriksen *could* be gone...though I think it will come down to how we finish out. If we suck it up and do not win hardware and struggle to close out the top 4 and show no ambition...I see him moving on to teams that do. (and rightly so in my opinion...hell Kane could follow)

BL - I don't see us making a move to band aide the Kane situation. I see us losing Eriksen and Toby at some point. And to me the position most in need is still DM. But what do I know...

COYS!!

Mauricio Pochettino says to try and find a replacement for Harry Kane in the transfer market would be a mistake and believes Tottenham have to find a “new star” from their academy.

Spurs look set to be without their talismanic striker Kane for up to two months following an ankle injury and Pochettino has suggested they are not going to target the January transfer window for reinforcements.

The club have been linked with the likes of Barcelona’s Brazilian forward Malcom.

But there are some exciting striking prospects coming through the club’s academy, with the likes of Kazaiah Sterling and Troy Parrott highly rated, and the Argentinian says Spurs are more likely to find their next big name striker there.

“I think in the end, if for another transfer window we don’t sign players or we are not going to sign a striker, that is not going to be a gamble, it’s not going to be a risk,” he said.

“I think we have players that can cope with that place when it’s not Harry Kane available and of course if we want to find a player similar to Harry Kane, I think we are going to make a mistake.

“Because to find another Harry Kane is impossible because we are talking about the three, four, five best strikers in the world.

“We have the possibility to create our new star through the academy.

“You know different names, I don’t want to say as that might not help, but of course that is our objective – to try to create the new star of Tottenham, to find him here in our academy, would be the most exciting thing.”

Pochettino has a track record of turning prospects into world-class players as Kane himself was a young striker still making his way when he arrived at the club four and a half years ago, while he has helped nurture Dele Alli into one of the best young players in Europe.

And he wants to continue looking to the future.

“We look back four and a half years ago, we did not find here Harry Kane or Dele Alli as big stars,” he added.

“When we look back, and we compare with another big club in Europe, the two most important players in the squad were building here in Tottenham.

“How many clubs did the same as us in the last four or five years? That is massive. It is a massive thing to be satisfied about, for us and our fans.

“You were able to create two and build two big star players like Dele Alli and Harry Kane. Why not make the effort to add a few players more? And to help the club step up?

“Not all is possible because of the period that we built these two stars, in the same moment we are building the new stadium.

“We need time. It’s about time. That is why our wish or our hope is the moment we finish the stadium, we can pay the debt quickly and start to invest with these younger players who can be big stars of the future. That is the dream.”
Dream on Poch...it’s not all your fault though...since ENIC took over we have been like the hapless husbands of Kathleen Turner in The Man With Two Brains who are always promised sex tomorrow, next week etc until they keel over and die from frustration.

In answer to your question about which other clubs have brought through academy players, well Liverpool (Alexander Arnold, the Young CB currently injured, and maybe the LB), but then their academy is run by the guy who used to run ours but left, UTD (Rashford, McTominay, Lingard), and there are others I’m sure.

Dream on Poch...it’s not all your fault though...since ENIC took over we have been like the hapless husbands of Kathleen Turner in The Man With Two Brains who are always promised sex tomorrow, next week etc until they keel over and die from frustration.

In answer to your question about which other clubs have brought through academy players, well Liverpool (Alexander Arnold, the Young CB currently injured, and maybe the LB), but then their academy is run by the guy who used to run ours but left, UTD (Rashford, McTominay, Lingard), and there are others I’m sure.

I don't know why but I think that CB was a product of Charlton's academy