January 2019 Transfer Window Rumours/Thoughts | Page 79 | Vital Football

January 2019 Transfer Window Rumours/Thoughts

Sounds like another Eardley. Injury-prone, talented and would be a real challenge to Toff's place, especially if the Barnsley fans' comments are to believed and we can keep him fit, which we have managed pretty successfully with Neal. Hope we've landed him.

White's trajectory appears to have some similarities to Eardley. He is 27 years old, has an excellent pedigree and is a full back that has been plagued by injuries - otherwise would still be playing at a higher level. I've read that his strengths are his great pace with a propensity to overlap and get crosses in. If it is right that he has been training with us and The Scunts and is weighing up his options I wonder if chatting with Eards about how he has been managed tips him in our favour.

Edit - personally I would like us to sign another left back as it is the one glaring area of squad vulnerability now for me with us having signed forward options in Roberts and Rowe this week. I still remember how unbalanced we were last year without Sam during the run in and perhaps it is significant in DC's latest press conference he alluded to that when talking about formations.

Last edited:
White's trajectory appears to have some similarities to Eardley. He is 27 years old, has an excellent pedigree and is a full back that has been plagued by injuries - otherwise would still be playing at a higher level. I've read that his strengths are his great pace with a propensity to overlap and get crosses in. If it is right that he has been training with us and The Scunts and is weighing up his options I wonder if chatting with Eards about how he has been managed tips him in our favour.
Chance to play down the left with Adam Hammill again is probably the link at Scunthorpe.

Just compare today's squad...

Goalkeepers:
Grant Smith, Josh Vickers

Defenders:
Cian Bolger, Michael Bostwick, Neal Eardley, Harry Toffolo, James Wilson, Sam Habergham, Jason Shackell, James Brown

Midfielders / Wingers:
Lee Frecklington, Ellis Chapman, Tom Pett, Harry Anderson, Bruno Andrade, Michael O'Connor, Danny Rowe, Jordan Roberts, Mark O'Hara

Strikers:
John Akinde, Matt Rhead, Shay McCartan

...with the squad from just four years ago:

Goalkeepers:
Paul Farman, Aidan Grant

Defenders:
Jake Caprice, Nat Brown, Hamza Bencherif, Tom Miller, Tyrell Waite, Jordan Cranston, Jordan Keane

Midfielders/wingers:
Alan Power, Marcus Marshall, a very mardy Jon Nolan, Arnaud Mendy, Conner Robinson, Todd Jordan, Charlee Adams, Kegan Everington, John Marsden

Strikers:
Jordan Burrow, Ben Tomlinson, Delano Sam-Yorke, Alex Simmons

Every single player - better. By far.

I keep expecting to wake up on the coach to Havant & Waterlooville.

Goalkeepers:

Defenders:
Cian Bolger, Michael Bostwick, Neal Eardley, Harry Toffolo, James Wilson, Sam Habergham, Jason Shackell, James Brown

Midfielders / Wingers:
Lee Frecklington, Ellis Chapman, Tom Pett, Harry Anderson, Bruno Andrade, Michael O'Connor, Danny Rowe, Jordan Roberts, Mark O'Hara

Strikers:

Goalkeepers:
Paul Farman, Aidan Grant

Defenders:
Jake Caprice, Nat Brown, Hamza Bencherif, Tom Miller, Tyrell Waite, Jordan Cranston, Jordan Keane

Midfielders/wingers:
Alan Power, Marcus Marshall, a very mardy Jon Nolan, Arnaud Mendy, Conner Robinson, Todd Jordan, Charlee Adams, Kegan Everington, John Marsden

Strikers:

We were pretty poor!

Goalkeepers:

Defenders:

Midfielders / Wingers:

Strikers:

Goalkeepers:
Paul Farman, Aidan Grant

Defenders:

Midfielders/wingers:

Strikers:

Point taken- but Tyrell Waite was a striker!

We've had plenty of strikers that never scored any goals tbf!
Now there’s a trivia question- How many strikers have we had signed to the club who never scored a goal?

Rory May
Ellis Remy
Dave Regis
Leo Fortune West
Guy Ipoua?
Karl Birmingham

I could go on- I bet the answers in the hundreds!

I *thought* Rory May had scored for us.

If I remember correctly, Ollie Ryan only ever scored for the opposition.

Now there’s a trivia question- How many strikers have we had signed to the club who never scored a goal?

Rory May
Ellis Remy
Dave Regis
Leo Fortune West
Guy Ipoua?
Karl Birmingham

I could go on- I bet the answers in the hundreds!

Paul Connor,Drew Broughton,Martin Carruthers,Ollie Ryan,Junior Mendez,David Graham and Kevin Gall are a few of the top of my head.

Oh forgot Steve Torpey !

I believe Big Leo did score one goal which brought him level with Tommy Tynan in the all-time list of City goalscorers.

Rory May 0 goals in 9 appearances.
Torpey none in 14.
Broughton none in 31.
Ryan none in 41 (although 31 were as substitute).
Fortune-West 1 in 11.

As for strikers who failed to score, there are far too many to list.

Paul Connor,Drew Broughton,Martin Carruthers,Ollie Ryan,Junior Mendez,David Graham and Kevin Gall are a few of the top of my head.

Oh forgot Steve Torpey !
Connor none in 16.
Carruthers none in 12.
Gall none in 11.
Graham none in 10.
Mendes none in 10.

Rory May 0 goals in 9 appearances.
Torpey none in 14.
Broughton none in 31.
Ryan none in 41 (although 31 were as substitute).
Fortune-West 1 in 11.

As for strikers who failed to score, there are far too many to list.
Thanks for that- my memory had one hitting Broughton on his arse and going in!