James McClean | Page 4 | Vital Football

James McClean

Great news, his legs have gone,he's been stealing a living for 18 months, time to see Pearce,a proper left back in the team.

He's done a Whatmough,how many happy slappers will call him out for it?

Gone and done a Whatmough. How long as he and his bloody agent been negotiating this? Announced on the eve of the season.
Totally unfair,Wrexham have made an offer believed to be £250k which we accepted.If he'd been plotting like Whatmough did we wouldn't have got a penny for him, he's actually done the honourable thing and should be praised and not abused .

Fantastic move for him at a more than generous fee for us. You won't find anywhere else in the world where a club pays £250k for a 34-year-old, even if it is the fittest 34 year old you'll find. From our perspective, it's impossible to turn that fee down.

He's earned the right to go and make his money at a club who are increasing costs whilst we cut ours. I'm sure they'll treat him properly as well.

Gone and done a Whatmough. How long as he and his bloody agent been negotiating this? Announced on the eve of the season.
It’s completely different. He is talking to Wrexham because we have accepted a bid for him. By accepting a bid, we are saying to James that we are happy for him to leave and for him, a 3 year deal on good money at his age is something that he needs to consider.
Whatmough had only just recently signed an extended contract and freed himself to get a larger signing on fee.

McLean can still take a decent set piece, you know he'll work hard, keep himself fit and has improved a lot defensively. But in open play over the last 12 months he's increasingly struggled to have any impact offensively as he just can't get a cross in or beat a man and we saw that again in preseason even against L2 Tranmere. There's no critasism in that, as there's no lack of willing, but no matter how hard anyone works to keep themselves in peak condition, time takes it's toll.

I think at this stage of his career he'd probably be best suited to moving to centre back and he could have a few more years there. But I fear if he stayed and played the season as left full back / wing back or even winger folks would start to say 'his legs have gone'.

So for the wage he is on and the money we've supposedly been offered I think that it's a good move for both him and us.

I don't think Pearce or Robinson are the answer as replacements though, so we need to look at our options.

He always put a shift in and was likely one of the reasons why we were able to keep a team together over the different messes we found ourselves in over the past couple of years. Time is probably right to move on, and hopefully its not a huge loss this season.

Fantastic move for him at a more than generous fee for us. You won't find anywhere else in the world where a club pays £250k for a 34-year-old, even if it is the fittest 34 year old you'll find. From our perspective, it's impossible to turn that fee down.

He's earned the right to go and make his money at a club who are increasing costs whilst we cut ours. I'm sure they'll treat him properly as well.
Yoonited signed Ronaldo for when he was 36! £12.9m and £450,000/week

Legs have gone imo and he contributed very little last season. Great servant for the club and I wish him well but I’m not sure he will be greatly missed on the footballing front……