It was sixty years ago today | Page 5 | Vital Football

It was sixty years ago today

Things have quietened down a bit, so thank goodness we've got something to set the pulses racing again. It's.......

wait for it...

hold on to your hats...

Cliff (1 week, July-August 1960)

Sorry about that. The next one's better.

1960 brings Sputniks and Russian dogs in space to my mind.

BO Diddley gave The Pretty Things their name and provided the beat to The British Beat released this in 1960. You can hear him in all the early 60s stuff.

Every song virtually that he wrote was about himself. Bit like Peter Gabriel.

Also inspired an incredibly childish spat amongst members of The Fall.

(Warning: terrible recordings not reflective of either party's best work)

So, anyway, Cliff?

Also inspired an incredibly childish spat amongst members of The Fall.

(Warning: terrible recordings not reflective of either party's best work)

So, anyway, Cliff?

If you'd had told me before this that you could do a pared-down version of the Bo-Diddley riff, I'd have not believed you.

Ol' Bo was certainly doing the heavy lifting there.

Here's a local version for local people:

Will nobody, anybody talk about poor old Cliff? How come people are more interested in Bo Diddley?

Cliff's a weird one. The really interesting stuff happened before the remit of this thread started, and he once or twice flared up with something good, purely by the law of probabilities, but basically he's been a boring old bastard for sixty years, and he was 19 and already well past his best when this one came out.

Cliff's a weird one. The really interesting stuff happened before the remit of this thread started, and he once or twice flared up with something good, purely by the law of probabilities, but basically he's been a boring old bastard for sixty years, and he was 19 and already well past his best when this one came out.
He were ground down. It's a shit business.

I'm sure I've said this before, but saw him at Lancaster University at a free Christian show in the early 70's. The local GLF tried to trash it poncing up and down and taking the piss. They were actually quite funny, but wrong. They objected to his failure to come to terms, as they saw it, with his proclivities. He was calm, good humored, and dignified in response, and led us all in a version of Fire and Rain. Good man in my view.

I'm not interested in his private life - that's his business - but in his pop career. I grew up with him as a BBC entertainment stalwart and it seemed to me that he very quickly opted for the light entertainment career path. He hated the experimental path the Beatles embarked on.

He regularly put out records from the late 1950s to pretty much the present day. He was a good singer, well-connected and with a good backing band and did go on to put out some very good records. If you put out hundreds of singles some of them are going to stick. But this one just wasn't one of them, and ultimately Cliff was a regressive force, a brake on progress.

Things have quietened down a bit, so thank goodness we've got something to set the pulses racing again. It's.......

wait for it...

hold on to your hats...

Cliff (1 week, July-August 1960)

Sorry about that. The next one's better.

Been on a little trip so missed all this fun!

Cliff Richard is atrocious! He seems like a nice enough bloke - I mean, what a star, getting up and doing an impromptu sing-a-long during a rain break at Wimbledon - but he is just so very boring and so straight edged I fail to understand how his music could excite anybody.

Mind you, his first record wasn't too bad. Certainly, imo anyway, far better than anything else that followed:

Bo Diddey is a different story all together, I'm a big fan.

First discovered him when i was a youngster and was getting into The Doors. I was playing their version of, 'Who Do You Love?' when my Dad heard and said that I should check out the original. Many years later I heard an even better version of the song (and it's rare that I prefer a cover to the original, there are a few exceptions though, this one and Hendrix's version of All Along the Watchtower are the two that always come to mind):

So many great Bo Diddley songs to choose from, 'Roadrunner' already mentioned, then there's, 'Cracking Up', 'Can't Judge a Book' and 'Pills', just a few of my favourites. Then there's this, if it wasn't his last single then I don't think there were many more after. I love the line. "Gotta go faster cos I'm running out of gas".

Last edited:
Bo Diddey is a different story all together, I'm a big fan.

First discovered him when i was a youngster and was getting into The Doors. I was playing their version of, 'Who Do You Love?' when my Dad heard and said that I should check out the original. Many years later I heard an even better version of the song (and it's rare that I prefer a cover to the original, there are a few exceptions though, this one and Hendrix's version of All Along the Watchtower are the two that always come to mind):

So many great Bo Diddley songs to choose from, 'Roadrunner' already mentioned, then there's, 'Cracking Up', 'Can't Judge a Book' and 'Pills', just a few of my favourites. Then there's this, if it wasn't his last single then I don't think there were many more after. I love the line. "Gotta go faster cos I'm running out of gas".
Ronnie Hawkins - he of The Band too