It was sixty years ago today | Page 4 | Vital Football

It was sixty years ago today

I must have been born without the pop music gene, because it's never had much appeal for me. More relevantly, my sister is six years older than me, so most of what I was exposed to at the impressionable age was the jazz and folk that her art school chums would bring round.

Pretty soon I pushed on looking for more and more advanced stuff, including seeing John Coltrane opposite Dizzy Gillespie when I was 15, and going to all-nighters at Ronnie Scott's original place in a cellar in Gerrard Street when I was a sixth-former. (OK, I did see the Stones at the Gaumont in '63, but a woman was probably involved.)

The Beatles period floated by without any interest from me - I've never bought any of their stuff, not even for a woman, and the only single I ever remember buying was Hoots Mon, by Lord Rockingham's XI, and that only for the sax of Bennie Green.

My time playing viola in the Math orchestra must have left a liking for classical somewhere inside me, and now we have R3 on all day - the variety is incredible, and there's always something worth listening to. We get to as many jazz concerts as we can, almost always visiting American bands, usually at the Barbican or the South Bank. And then there's early music, chamber music, opera, and our particular favourite, choral. All periods, no limits, the contemporary music festival at Huddersfield, the Aldeburgh Festival, there's so much to get into, I can't imagine what it must be like to have only pop music in your life.

Still, each to his own.......
Really agree with your last statement. I like all kinds of music from pop to classical but cannot abide jazz in any form so definitely each to his own.

I must have been born without the pop music gene, because it's never had much appeal for me. More relevantly, my sister is six years older than me, so most of what I was exposed to at the impressionable age was the jazz and folk that her art school chums would bring round.

Pretty soon I pushed on looking for more and more advanced stuff, including seeing John Coltrane opposite Dizzy Gillespie when I was 15, and going to all-nighters at Ronnie Scott's original place in a cellar in Gerrard Street when I was a sixth-former. (OK, I did see the Stones at the Gaumont in '63, but a woman was probably involved.)

The Beatles period floated by without any interest from me - I've never bought any of their stuff, not even for a woman, and the only single I ever remember buying was Hoots Mon, by Lord Rockingham's XI, and that only for the sax of Bennie Green.

My time playing viola in the Math orchestra must have left a liking for classical somewhere inside me, and now we have R3 on all day - the variety is incredible, and there's always something worth listening to. We get to as many jazz concerts as we can, almost always visiting American bands, usually at the Barbican or the South Bank. And then there's early music, chamber music, opera, and our particular favourite, choral. All periods, no limits, the contemporary music festival at Huddersfield, the Aldeburgh Festival, there's so much to get into, I can't imagine what it must be like to have only pop music in your life.

Great post, Mustafa.

I don't know much about jazz or classical music. I know I've heard some stuff from both genres that I really, really love but I'd be hard pressed to tell you which stuff! Equally, there's a lot of times I hear jazz or classical music and it doesn't appeal to me at all. What's difficult is knowing what to check out and what not to waste time with, especially given that there's so much other music I already know I really love. Perhaps you could give me some suggestions of where to start?

I really love the early ska records where they took the jazz and fused it with the Jamaican ska beat. Have you ever listened to any? If not try listening to some Tommy McCook and Roland Alphonso...

A level History pastime back at GGS -great band name from 18th century English politics

Marquess of Rovkingham and the Rockingham Whigs, of course
Sir Robert Walpole and the Patriots
Tom Paine and the Rights of Man (more 60's than rock n roll)

Great post, Mustafa.

I don't know much about jazz or classical music. I know I've heard some stuff from both genres that I really, really love but I'd be hard pressed to tell you which stuff! Equally, there's a lot of times I hear jazz or classical music and it doesn't appeal to me at all. What's difficult is knowing what to check out and what not to waste time with, especially given that there's so much other music I already know I really love. Perhaps you could give me some suggestions of where to start?

I really love the early ska records where they took the jazz and fused it with the Jamaican ska beat. Have you ever listened to any? If not try listening to some Tommy McCook and Roland Alphonso...

We like Petroc Trelawney’s programme on R3 weekday mornings from 6:30-9:00. He plays a mixed bag (although not much ska) and you’ll probably find something to appeal from time to time. Don‘t expect to like everything though. Just let it run for a couple of weeks would be my advice.

For jazz it’s more difficult - Jamie Cullum’s programme on R2 on Tuesday is probably OK, he has good taste, although I’ve never listened to it. Used to go to school, and later worked with his dad, though.

I used to go to a ska club in a house under the arches in Rochester back in the day. Good fun and interesting crowd. I have a few Trojan cd’s too. I’ll listen to anything if it’s well done, but there’s a time limit, even in lockdown.

Going back to the 60 years ago thing, does anyone remember BBC 2's the Great War series from 1964? I remember racing back from scouts at Rainham cricket field to watch it. Well, it occurs to me that we are further away now from watching the programme, than I was then from the actual Great War. Old.

That's an interesting point, and it'd be a boring old world if people only did like one kind of music, but I think most of us have wider tastes. I like a bit of jazz but wouldn't pretend to know all that much about it, and the same goes for classical. I'd like to know more about both, but if you haven't grown up with it, it's quite daunting even finding out where to start. And then there are things like "world music", which is such a broad term that it's meaningless.

Apart from that, all the main genres of music have hundreds of sub-genres, some of which you'll like, some of which you won't. I'm not into modern pop. I like to tell myself that the reason for that is because it's crap, but I sometimes have the nagging feeling that it's because I stopped paying attention years ago and let things pass me by to the point of no return. But anyway it's all part of life's rich tapestry, and something else to keep us amused.

Here's tonight's treat: Jimmy Jones - Good Timin', 3 weeks in July 1960

I can't say the name rang a bell, but when I watched this I remembered it from oldies shows on the radio when I was a kid. This sounds very 1960 indeed, slathered in pizzicato guitar and strings. I've never been keen on falsetto either, possibly because Frankie Valli's voice used to frighten me as a child. He sounded like an enraged chimp.

Last edited:
That's an interesting point, and it'd be a boring old world if people only did like one kind of music, but I think most of us have wider tastes. I like a bit of jazz but wouldn't pretend to know all that much about it, and the same goes for classical. I'd like to know more about both, but if you haven't grown up with it, it's quite daunting even finding out where to start. And then there are things like "world music", which is such a broad term that it's meaningless.

Apart from that, all the main genres of music have hundreds of sub-genres, some of which you'll like, some of which you won't. I'm not into modern pop. I like to tell myself that the reason for that is because it's crap, but I sometimes have the nagging feeling that it's because I stopped paying attention years ago and let things pass me by to the point of no return. But anyway it's all part of life's rich tapestry, and something else to keep us amused.

Here's tonight's treat: Jimmy Jones - Good Timin', 3 weeks in July 1960

I listened to this and a Singer Gazelle filmed from above and forward, the Chiswick Flyover, and BOAC just popped into my mind in quick succession.

Going back to the 60 years ago thing, does anyone remember BBC 2's the Great War series from 1964? I remember racing back from scouts at Rainham cricket field to watch it. Well, it occurs to me that we are further away now from watching the programme, than I was then from the actual Great War. Old.
I remember watching "All Our Yesterdays" ( about WW2) when it was fronted by Brian Inglis, from about 1963 iirc. I was thinking the same thing as you just the other day. I thought at the time that the 20 year old footage was ancient!

I like nothing better than going back in time to uncover new music. Tracking original versions of covers, letting Spotify lead me down a 'you like this so you might like that' route. Even listening to Desert Island Discs on the BBC app is another great way to challenge yourself to find something new that inspired Anthony Gormley or Helena Bonham Carter
I discovered the amazing Link Wray last year after hearing his 'Comanche' played by Billy Childish. Link's iconic 'Rumble' is the backing to so many adverts but that guitar sound from the fifties has really stood the test of time.

I remember watching "All Our Yesterdays" ( about WW2) when it was fronted by Brian Inglis, from about 1963 iirc. I was thinking the same thing as you just the other day. I thought at the time that the 20 year old footage was ancient!

No kidding!
When I used to teach history, I'd say to the students, the Romans were here a really long time. They were here as long as has passed to now since the Spanish Armada! It didn't work. I think you have to be a historian to be impressed by that,
BUT
a) it's no longer even close to true
b) 360 or so years doesn't seem like such a long time any more.

Crikey.

One of the more well known classical pieces.

Just look at the short shorts our boys were wearing in the 70s and 80s. Another world!

1960 brings Sputniks and Russian dogs in space to my mind.

BO Diddley gave The Pretty Things their name and provided the beat to The British Beat released this in 1960. You can hear him in all the early 60s stuff.