Interesting News Around the Football League | Page 26 | Vital Football

Interesting News Around the Football League

Not strictly Football League related but does have a little something to do with it - early bird tickets for the National League play-off final on Sunday 5th May go on sale tomorrow morning. They're only £20, and if the game is anything like last season's final between Notts County and Chesterfield then it'll be another bargain. Neutral zone will likely be in the middle band at Wembley as previously, and I'd just really recommend it to anyone as an event.

Link below where the event should appear at 10am tomorrow.

I went to the NL final at Wembley a couple of years back. Lots of fans from all over the country and a good time had by all. Like you, i`d recommend it too (y)

For those calling for Colin, he is apparently being lined up to take the now vacant Plymouth job, short term, as their "firefighter".

He lives down that way, so may be something in that.

For those calling for Colin, he is apparently being lined up to take the now vacant Plymouth job, short term, as their "firefighter".

He lives down that way, so may be something in that.
Plymouth new guy only lasted three months.Given they were favourites for relegation I don’t know what they were expecting.
They are trying to compete with a tiny player budget compared to most of the other teams.

News from the West Country is that Plymouth are going to run with the back room staff in charge until the end of the season in an attempt to stay up.
We will see.
Like Millwall, their experiment with a highly rated but inexperienced coach has not paid off.
Only one that has been successful, to a degree has been ours, and that’s very debatable. At least we are at the end of the table that we started at.

I’ve just been chatting with a Plymouth ST holder and got the genuine fans eye view of the recent manager sacking.
His view is that the guy did ok at first because he stuck to Schumacher’s team and formula then slowly introduced his own ideas and tactics.
Apparently Foster was a highly regarded coach at England level and was affected by the possession for possession’s sake style of football.
Slowly moving the ball across the back and eventually back to the keeper and start again (sounds familiar)
They had five consecutive home defeats with no goals scored for.
The fans think he lost the confidence of the players and certainly lost the confidence of many of the fans.
I asked if it was just a vocal minority of fans as it is in many clubs but he’s convinced that it was the majority who wanted change so quickly.
It appears that the coach was playing from the Southgate playbook of trying to bore the opposition to death.
Time will tell if the players and fans respond now he’s gone.

I’ve just been chatting with a Plymouth ST holder and got the genuine fans eye view of the recent manager sacking.
His view is that the guy did ok at first because he stuck to Schumacher’s team and formula then slowly introduced his own ideas and tactics.
Apparently Foster was a highly regarded coach at England level and was affected by the possession for possession’s sake style of football.
Slowly moving the ball across the back and eventually back to the keeper and start again (sounds familiar)
They had five consecutive home defeats with no goals scored for.
The fans think he lost the confidence of the players and certainly lost the confidence of many of the fans.
I asked if it was just a vocal minority of fans as it is in many clubs but he’s convinced that it was the majority who wanted change so quickly.
It appears that the coach was playing from the Southgate playbook of trying to bore the opposition to death.
Time will tell if the players and fans respond now he’s gone.
You summed Southgate up perfectly there.

Looks like he been poached away to be to a bigger club back to Rotherham though. He has also left stevanage in a much better position than when he took over tbf.
I think it's too early to tell if that is true. A full reckoning will come once the retained list is released and it becomes clear what liabilities he has left the club with versus promising players brought in. I'd be surprised if they challenge next season.

Well done to those who predicted he'd be downing tools the moment he signed his new contract there a couple of months back, I remember reading it when I first found these forums. Their results immediately took a slump and now he's off like clockwork.

Looks like he been poached away to be to a bigger club back to Rotherham though. He has also left stevanage in a much better position than when he took over tbf.
Rotherham paid the release clause in his contract so after Stevenage said they wouldn’t stand in his way, it was up to Evans whether he left and after the wheels had come off at Stevenage in the past few weeks, (they can’t now make the playoffs) I guess he has gone for more money at Rotherham.

Rotherham paid the release clause in his contract so after Stevenage said they wouldn’t stand in his way, it was up to Evans whether he left and after the wheels had come off at Stevenage in the past few weeks, (they can’t now make the playoffs) I guess he has gone for more money at Rotherham.

Bit tinpot from Stevenage just letting him leave like that.

Would have made far more sense to deny the approach and then sack him about three weeks later, giving him a nice juicy pay off.

Not one to overstay his welcome Mr Evans. Wonder what chaos he's left behind the scenes? Probably get Rotherham promoted. He's been there before & they are a bigger side with a larger budget who will pay him a higher wage. Can't blame him really when the opportunity arises.

Not one to overstay his welcome Mr Evans. Wonder what chaos he's left behind the scenes? Probably get Rotherham promoted. He's been there before & they are a bigger side with a larger budget who will pay him a higher wage. Can't blame him really when the opportunity arises.
It’s hardly the same as when he left Gills though. Their fans are grateful for him saving them from being relegated to non league, then getting promoted to league 1, and then being among the top six for most of this season, only recently tailed off.
I could see him trying to sign some of their best players for Rotherham in the summer though.