Interesting News Around the Football League | Vital Football

Interesting News Around the Football League

Trev_GFC

Vital 1st Team Regular
I don’t know if anyone wants to turn this into a proper thread in case they see anything, but I saw today that Oxford United are looking at building a new stadium, despite the Kassam being relatively new.

Somehow they’ve picked a location that’s possibly even further away from the town centre😂 Allthough at least it’ll be next door to a parkway station.

The yellow circle in the screenshot below is the current stadium, the white one is the new planned area.

Oxford council agreed to sell the leasehold for the new plot to the club on Tuesday.

IMG_3983.jpeg

Good shout Trev.
I’ll add.
Plymouth fans have turned on their manager and players already, just a few games into the season.
Last season they thought they was Barcelona and Shuey was better than Pep.
A bit of a struggle in a higher division and the fickle fans turn.
They have nowhere near the budget to compete with most championship teams and should be pleased just to stay up.

I don’t know if anyone wants to turn this into a proper thread in case they see anything, but I saw today that Oxford United are looking at building a new stadium, despite the Kassam being relatively new.

Somehow they’ve picked a location that’s possibly even further away from the town centre😂 Allthough at least it’ll be next door to a parkway station.

The yellow circle in the screenshot below is the current stadium, the white one is the new planned area.

Oxford council agreed to sell the leasehold for the new plot to the club on Tuesday.

View attachment 68454
I think there has been difficulties over the last few years with Oxford as to who actually owns the stadium which wouldn't surprise me as to why they're looking elsewhere. That and having a car park for a stand I'm sure is pretty embarrassing on their part.

Plymouth fans have turned on their manager and players already, just a few games into the season.
They have nowhere near the budget to compete with most championship teams and should be pleased just to stay up.
I remember when Ollie Holloway managed them, he said it was very difficult to persuade players to go there as well, as they were so far off the beaten track. I think Schumacher has done a brilliant job, everything considered.

Mind you, he fobbed Ryan Law on to us, so sod 'im :LOL:

I've piggy-backed on to this thread title to mention something I noticed yesterday - The league 1 table.

Specifically:

Cheltenham are bottom having scored ZERO goals in their 8 games.

Port Vale are joint top with a GD of -3.

Cheltenham (bottom) have conceded less goals than Port Vale (Joint Top).

6 teams have scored 5 goals or less in their 7 (or 8) games.

I've piggy-backed on to this thread title to mention something I noticed yesterday - The league 1 table.

Specifically:

Cheltenham are bottom having scored ZERO goals in their 8 games.

Port Vale are joint top with a GD of -3.

Cheltenham (bottom) have conceded less goals than Port Vale (Joint Top).

6 teams have scored 5 goals or less in their 7 (or 8) games.

We'll fit right in.

See table toppers Exeter lost 0-9 at home to Reading in the Pizza Cup on Tuesday. The match thread made for an interesting read yesterday. 🤣

Sensible location for Oxford`s new ground IMO. The current ground is a nightmare to exit from (by car) and the city of Oxford itself is very congested and a difficult place to park etc. The new location at Kidlington has a large park and ride as well as a railway station.

Good shout Trev.
I’ll add.
In Bali Mumba and Morgan Whittaker, Plymouth have two of the most exciting players in the Championship. Mumba is Premier League quality and a potential (senior team) England player. NW Gills mentioned that he was at the PNE v Plymouth game last Saturday - coincidentally, I was at that game too. IMO Plymouth was the better team for the majority of the game and Mumba was the best player on the pitch by some distance. Their 2,700 fans were very supportive too - excellent effort by them.

Comes down to the entertainment v result discussion on another thread - Argyle are entertaining, but would their fans rather have seen a 0-1 lucky win - think we both know the answer, but it doesn`t quell the desire for attractive footy.

In Bali Mumba and Morgan Whittaker, Plymouth have two of the most exciting players in the Championship. Mumba is Premier League quality and a potential (senior team) England player. NW Gills mentioned that he was at the PNE v Plymouth game last Saturday - coincidentally, I was at that game too. IMO Plymouth was the better team for the majority of the game and Mumba was the best player on the pitch by some distance. Their 2,700 fans were very supportive too - excellent effort by them.

Comes down to the entertainment v result discussion on another thread - Argyle are entertaining, but would their fans rather have seen a 0-1 lucky win - think we both know the answer, but it doesn`t quell the desire for attractive footy.
They took 3,400 to Bristol which, given it’s a four hour drive, is pretty impressive.

They took 3,400 to Bristol which, given it’s a four hour drive, is pretty impressive.

Very impressive. But TBF, surely it’s about that return. Only a bit over 100 mile isn’t it?

Plymouth probably the most travelled fans in the country. Apart from 3 or 4 clubs, every other side is over 3 hours away. Fair play to them. Excellent followings home and away.

View attachment 68454
If they do build a new ground hopefully it wont be as souless as the Kassam.

I think the Kassam Stadium is still owned by the ex-owner of that name, Oxford don’t make any money from food/drink sales inside, and pay a rent to play there.

Their need of a new ground is vastly different to rest (most) of us.

If they do build a new ground hopefully it wont be as souless as the Kassam.
Agreed.

- It’s way out of town
- doesn’t feel part of the community
- the pub options are basically a bowling alley
- the seats a blue for a yellow team
- a car park for a stand
- away fans in an unnatural position
- no atmosphere
- away food & drink served behind a cage
- main stand looks concretey and unnatural
- massive gaps between the stands

Talking of soulless stadiums, see you all tomorrow 😂

Talking of soulless stadiums, see you all tomorrow 😂

I went to the Keepmoat back in 2016 and thought it was pretty decent. Donny v Barnet, with MA in the Barnet dug out.

I know there’s not a lot of love for the regulation “bowl” type stadium. But I thought it was pretty good, decent facilities, plenty of room, easy to get to and a decent atmosphere.

It helped that Donny were going well that season, eventually promoted, but a 7k plus crowd made a good noise.

I remember looking around and thinking “I wish Gills had a stadium like this”. However, when I visited Priestfield a couple of weeks later, I then realised (and still think) I prefer our gaff, if only it had a RE type stand up the Town End. Perfect.

Never liked the Kassam Stadium but it's location makes it an easy place for him to sell for housing.
It is not an asset of Oxford Utd and they only have 3 years licence left to play there. So it makes sense to develop somewhere that would be.

View attachment 68454

My now wife went to uni in Oxford, quite a good place to spend time if you can get past all the bloody (excruciatingly posh) students....

My now wife went to uni in Oxford, quite a good place to spend time if you can get past all the bloody (excruciatingly posh) students....

A city where seeing someone wearing a tuxedo at 9am on a Sunday morning is perfectly natural. I always feel a real pleb whenever I go there (or Cambridge).