Interesting News Around the Football League | Page 24 | Vital Football

Interesting News Around the Football League

I love that statement. Heartfelt and transparent. Excellent comms (speaking as a PR guy!).
But it seems harsh to blame Coleman and Bell for Accy getting relegated. It looks like punching above their weight even to reach League One; did anyone really expect them to take it by storm?

Maidstone announced £800,000 revenue from their cup run.
Not much left after repaying debt and costs.
Good for Maidstone Utd - the FA Cup might be an inconvenience to some of the Prem clubs, but it can be a god-send to clubs in the lower leagues and non-league.

Believe that George Elokobi got a contract extension too, good for him - and good for Maidstone, as George is probably on the radar of many higher placed clubs. Gotta-love-George.

Use to like going to the Manor ground, proper old football stadium back in its day til they moved to that horrible souless out in the middle of nowhere dump.
Good thing about Oxford Utd is they fucking hate Swindon more than us.
I was a regular at the Manor Ground for a while - not fit for purpose as the club progressed. I believe that their new ground will be a success - the Kassam, as you say, is one of the most soulless grounds in the EFL - though, handy if you`ve not got a ticket but do have a van to stand on top of !

I was a regular at the Manor Ground for a while - not fit for purpose as the club progressed. I believe that their new ground will be a success - the Kassam, as you say, is one of the most soulless grounds in the EFL - though, handy if you`ve not got a ticket but do have a van to stand on top of !
It’s surprising that they left a dilapidated stadium to go to another stadium which evidently has a slightly higher capacity but no other worthwhile income streams. This is what happens when clubs move for property reasons.

It’s surprising that they left a dilapidated stadium to go to another stadium which evidently has a slightly higher capacity but no other worthwhile income streams. This is what happens when clubs move for property reasons.
Kassam took an eternity to complete (if you call a ground with three sides complete) and I don`t believe there has ever been a spiritual transition to the Kassam by the Oxford core.

The old manor ground saw an amazing football journey, from non-league to top league - the old Division One, and Oxford players like "Tank" Ron Atkinson and former Liverpool legends. The old ground was in Headington and there was no room, nor support, to expand. I believe the old ground is now the site of a private health care provider.

The "new" future ground sounds like a big improvement over the Kassam Stadium, especially in terms of access/transport - railway station very close, as well as main roads with parking. Looking forward to my visit.

Probably worthy of his own thread but I got dragged to Norwich v Rotherham on Saturday and was interested to see Tom Eaves in the starting lineup for Rotherham. Given they were beaten 5-0, it wasn't perhaps the best game to see him and he wasn't even being fed scraps, but to be fair he won all his aerial battles, pressed well and never let his head drop. It was noticeable how much more mobile he is than Hawkins. Hopefully Andrews will be in a similar mold once he is fit.

Attachments

• 20240309_151536.jpg
    20240309_151536.jpg
    490 KB · Views: 3
Stockport has announced two more signings. One is Man City forward Ben Knight (he was signed on loan in January but has only now become a playing option) and the other is Todd Kane. Kane, 30yrs, is a defender with plenty of Championship experience behind him - he`s been playing abroad.

Rumours that Wycombe Wanderers are purchasing Reading’s training ground. Cut price deal worth £22 million instead of the valued £50 million.

Could save Reading, providing Dai Yongge doesn’t pocket it. However, it would also make Reading less attractive to buy, meaning Reading will have to put up with Dai Yongge for the future.

Colchester have been given permission to alter the dimensions of their pitch, in the hope that by cutting off the worst bits they’ll have less postponements.

Given their pitch I’d say this is like sanding down the top few centimetres of an iceberg.

IMG_6399.jpeg

The relegation battle has warmed up a bit. Sutton probably needed to win today and did, but Forest Green still aren't far behind Colchester. I'm not sure any of those three would be a loss to the EFL.

The relegation battle has warmed up a bit. Sutton probably needed to win today and did, but Forest Green still aren't far behind Colchester. I'm not sure any of those three would be a loss to the EFL.

Col U and Sutton would be a loss from a local game perspective for us. FGR are a non league set up and wouldn't be missed.

Chesterfield`s OK, though. Looks like a lottery for the second EFL-bound NL team - eight clubs all in with a shout, as it currently stands.
Looks like Akinyemi could be relegated from the NL with York.

Boreham Wood also in danger despite their cup exploits in recent years.

Looks like Akinyemi could be relegated from the NL with York.

Boreham Wood also in danger despite their cup exploits in recent years.
Yep, really tight in the bottom half of the National League. Ebbsfleet have done very well since changing their manager - they looked in a precarious situation a couple of months ago but are currently surging - good for them.

I hope that York go down, it might save AFC Fylde from relegation.

Yep, really tight in the bottom half of the National League. Ebbsfleet have done very well since changing their manager - they looked in a precarious situation a couple of months ago but are currently surging - good for them.

I hope that York go down, it might save AFC Fylde from relegation.
Woking bang on form, too.

York’s new stadium looks miserable.