Interesting News Around the Football League | Page 17 | Vital Football

Interesting News Around the Football League

We were previously linked with the Bromley manager before Neil Harris. Think successful NL gaffers deserve a chance ahead of the familiar face old lags on the management merry go round.
Wasn't it an official approach which he turned down? Mike Williamson was one of the first names I shortlisted (ignored by the club) before MK Dons got him. He has made a good start there.

Thankfully most people were on board with the Clemence appointment (possibly because he was my first choice) but the various comments about Scott Lindsey not being good enough for us (he would also have been a great appointment) suggest that Maynard wouldn’t have received a favourable response.
It's no different to the playing staff, anybody from a lower league is a poor player, they only seem to be excited if they're not good enough for a higher league anymore.

Wasn't it an official approach which he turned down? Mike Williamson was one of the first names I shortlisted (ignored by the club) before MK Dons got him. He has made a good start there.
I seem to recall there was a rumour of a derisory offer being made for his services.

It's no different to the playing staff, anybody from a lower league is a poor player, they only seem to be excited if they're not good enough for a higher league anymore.
Are you saying that applies to Clemence?

I can only recall Stimson being recruited from non league and we all know his tenure was, at best, mixed. Got us promoted via the play offs, only to come straight back down again.

That may be what happens to Williamson. Will MK settle for that or expect to stay in League One?

As for Woodman, it is now 2 years since we showed interest in him. He didn't take up the challenge and nobody else has appointed him since, so maybe it is promotion with Bromley or bust. The grass isn't always greener.

Dave Challinor has done a pretty decent job of navigating in and out of the NL. Now, probably one of the most sought after managers outside of the Prem & Championship. Says nice things about Steve Lovell, too !

I can only recall Stimson being recruited from non league and we all know his tenure was, at best, mixed. Got us promoted via the play offs, only to come straight back down again.

That may be what happens to Williamson. Will MK settle for that or expect to stay in League One?

As for Woodman, it is now 2 years since we showed interest in him. He didn't take up the challenge and nobody else has appointed him since, so maybe it is promotion with Bromley or bust. The grass isn't always greener.
I'm just commenting on my observations on the narrow mindedness of some on the FB forum.

More a case of fans turning their nose up and any player with possible potential in the National League but wanting a player who is showing signs of decline from league 1. I'm not saying either way is the right or wrong method, there's risk with every player we sign, but just tiring to read the negativity a lot of the time. And it's the same with management, people barking experience, experience, experience when we aren't a concern for relegation so we can afford to risk a leftfield choice who may have different methods that could prove affective.

Clemence has never managed before, he's always been the apprentice and we're giving him the opportunity to showcase his talent (hopefully not a lack of). Its similar to buying ex academy talent from the upper echelons of the league.

More talent "lifted" today from the National League as:

Bristol City sign Aldershot`s young Josh Stokes and Brentford sign Bromley`s Ben Krauhaus.

Bristol City Championship, Brentford Premiership. We were never in the race.
And both those clubs can afford to take a risk on a player at 250k that we perhaps can't.

We were interested in Krauhaus though for sure, Stokes was on everyone's radar from more or less the start of the season so we were never going to be in a position to be the ones to get him.

Harrogate have beaten Sutton tonight which moves Harrogate above us in the table and Gills down to 10th.

Don't forget Basil Hayward, recruited from Bedford Town after a good run in the cup, he took us down but left us with Dave Peach and Bobby Folds!