Ins and outs 2023/24 | Page 31 | Vital Football

Ins and outs 2023/24

03/05/24

Paul Davis (Advertiser) Twitter - As well as checking Alex Revell's situation as a possible Millers coach, SE has also contacted a couple more potential candidates.

Last edited:
06/05/24

Rumours on other Millers fans websites that the"retained" list will now be announced on Wednesday morning.

Paul Davis (Advertiser) Twitter - Lee Peltier is currently undecided about retirement from playing.
My comment - is that a hint that he has been offered another Millers contract?

Last edited:
Have to confess I'm not 100% sure how the 'retained list' works. I see elsewhere some fans suggesting Eaves and Green should not be retained but surely they have contracts? Other suggestions have been to sell PK to Posh and retain Lindsay - which I'm not sure I agree with. There also seems to be some mystery around Christ. Incommunicado and supposedly closed his IG account when SE arrived. I thought he'd be an important player for us next season. I'd like Clucas to stay if he fancies it. I would not keep Hall, Blackett (injury record the problem here), Cafu, Lindsay. Pelts and/or Morrison borderline but if we can sign a couple of decent younger replacements I'd let them go. Bola will presumably be off. I have not seen enough of McCart and there seems to be a mix of opinion on him at Barnsley. Some of the youngsters have either got to be drafted in to the squad or let go. Perpetual loans to NL teams seems pointless. I'm not even sure if I'd keep the academy. Prem and top Championship sides release dozens and dozens of promising youngsters every season so picking from that pool might be a better option?

If we didn't have the Academy, we would still need to loan young players to the NL "pyramid" teams to give them game time. At least the Academy will have regular fixtures and playing opportunities.

Also - does anybody know if that friendly game that SE said he was arranging to take a look at some of the youngsters, actually went ahead? ( I haven't seen anything on any of the Millers fans websites about it).

Last edited:
If we didn't have the Academy, we would still need to loan young players to the NL "pyramid" teams to give them game time. At least the Academy will have regular fixtures and playing opportunities.

Also - does anybody know if that friendly game that SE said he was arranging to take a look at some of the youngsters, actually went ahead? ( I haven't seen anything on any of the Millers fans websites about it).
You are probably right, Mike. I haven't seen any recent stats but in 2021-22 on the Academy Productivity Rankings RUFC were 68th out of 80.

I'm not claiming that the Academy has been a big success recently, but it has the potential with the right resources, and a suitable person in charge of it. Probably won't be a high priority for TS or SE though.

As someone who watched the likes of Phillips, Finney, Swift, Downes, Brogden, Tunks, McDonagh, etc, (and later Wiles) come through the youth team ranks , I think that we are wasting an opportunity. Most of the players mentioned were at least good L1 players, some went on to play at a higher level than that.

Last edited:
I've not heard anything either. Not sure when it can have been fitted in between Saturday afternoon and today if the retained list is to be out in the morning.

I had another look at the stuff I had on AA when MT brought him on loan. He was highly regarded at Forest and at one time or other Ipswich, Arsenal and Man Utd were keeping tabs as well as a couple of German clubs and obviously Almeria. I just can't help thinking there is a real player there - somewhere. He's left-footed but as well as LW he's been played a lot as RW. On balance I'd like to see what SE can get out of him. As Guy pointed out his contract is up with Almeria but they may have an option for an extension. I'd definitely take him on a free.

07/05/24

Here we go... Average age of the squad has been significantly reduced!

BBC Radio Sheffield - OUT : Cafu, Hall, Peltier, Clucas, Morrison, Ferguson, Bola, Blackett, also the youngsters Durose, Holvey, and Ford.

(Kayode and McCart have been put on the transfer list)

All loaned-in players have returned to their parent clubs, at least for now.

Negotiations continuing with Lindsay.

Only five Matt Taylor signings remain - two of those are injured.

Expect a flurry of signings in the near future to fill in the big gaps (I hope!)

Last edited:
08/05/25

STAYING ?

Paul Davis (Advertiser) Twitter - RUFC has an option to extend Peter Kioso's contract to 2026. SE has already said that the player is part of his future plans.

My comment - Any transfer bid (eg from the Posh) would have to take into account the contract situation.

Last edited:
08/05/25

STAYING ?

Paul Davis (Advertiser) Twitter - RUFC has an option to extend Peter Kioso's contract to 2026. SE has already said that the player is part of his future plans.

My comment - Any transfer bid (eg from the Posh) would have to take into account the contract situation.
If Posh don’t win tonight against Oxford I reckon they won’t be bidding what we value Peter at.
Don’t sell him on the cheap.!!!

10/05/24

Paul Davis (Advertiser) Twitter - Tributes to outgoing players (and he is only going to write about two of them!) First one is about Lee Peltier.

My comment - at least LP looked like he cared, and he tried hard.

I see our rumoured interest in Harry Cardwell, 27 yo, 6'3" striker at Southend has resurfaced. This was first mooted in April before LR was sacked. No idea if it's anything other than Twitter froth; he's under contract until 2026 but has a buy out clause.
In the months before PW brought in Tom Eaves Cardwell was at Chorley and Stockport.