Ins and outs 2023/24 | Page 30 | Vital Football

Ins and outs 2023/24

28/04/24

Paul Davis (Advertiser) Twitter - interview with Steve Evans, after Bristol C. match . SE said "That (Millers ) team would struggle in League One".

My comment - he's probably correct, so needs backing from TS now. Some of our loaned-out players are near the end of their contracts and may not make it onto the "retained" list. Expect some changes shortly. McCart, Hull and Kayode are still under contract for next season.
I read that. What a state of affairs. Blame for it can be imo widely spread. Warne's ludicruous '...happy with the strikers I have...', his enthusiam to give TE a long contract, his failure to smell the coffee with Icky, Smith etc, the (again imo) misuse of Chieo. Then Taylor. What a disappointment. Young, athletic 90 minute players metamorphosed into signing old crocks, Hugill on huge money, Appiah ('I have long wanted to sign him' - really!?) Then TS off on his hols while the team sank and finally decided to bring Buster Keaton back from retirement to cheer up the place. Then the team really sank as the training ground disappeared under water and TS couldn't see the problem has he had paid for showers and a canteen.

Apparently , LR is a barrel of laughs off-microphone, according to Paul Davis.

Matt Taylor will probably get the opportunity to sign Appiah for Bristol Rovers next season, if MT is still there by then. Not sure why we are looking abroad to sign substandard players and crocks, when there are plenty on our own doorstep.

Last edited:
He's the great-grandson of Sir Alec Guinness, according to Wikipedia! (No idea if that is correct). Well, plenty of our opponents have indulged in "play-acting" this season. :p

Last edited:
Could be a good signing. LB or LWB. I saw his interview when he went to Stevenage on loan. Said he likes to get forward and make things happen. He's only 24 and from what I can see has no injury problems. Odd that after 3 seasons Wimbledon let him go but he then played 28 games in the Championship for Reading. It may be that he's out of contract on 31 May 2024.

Last edited:
Could be a good signing. LB or LWB. I saw his interview when he went to Stevenage on loan. Said he likes to get forward and make things happen. He's only 24 and from what I can see has no injury problems. Odd that after 3 seasons Wimbledon let him go but he then played 28 games in the Championship for Reading. It may be that he's out of contract on 31 May 2024.
NGW played against us when at Reading in the Championship.
Paul Ince put him on just before half-time.
The away night match where Lee Peltier scored the opening goal .
Andy Carroll equalised and then we conceded very late on to lose the game.

Scouted him a few times over the years and watched him in a recent Oxford vs Stevenage game.
Could well be just the type of player we need. A player that can step up to play in the Championship also SE will know all about him.

NGW played against us when at Reading in the Championship.

Scouted him a few times over the years and watched him in a recent Oxford vs Stevenage game.
Could well be just the type of player we need. A player that can step up to play in the Championship also SE will know all about him.
I think it always help when the management team know the players they are fetching in - or not, as the case may be.

I'm not particularly a big MT fan, but wasn't the original idea that PK was going on loan to get himself fit? Which he seemed to do... only to come back to us and get injured again. We really need good medical advice on him, and that is an area in which we seem to be struggling.

I'm not particularly a big MT fan, but wasn't the original idea that PK was going on loan to get himself fit? Which he seemed to do... only to come back to us and get injured again. We really need good medical advice on him, and that is an area in which we seem to be struggling.
I read at the time that PK and Posh both said he was fit and raring to go. He played most games for them and was made captain. I feel that MT like a number of managers makes his mind up about certain players good or bad and ignores evidence to the contrary. We ended up having to overplay Dexter when with PK at RB Dexter could have done his work further forward.

I think we should be looking at our medical team and see if any of them are good enough for the job to be honest. I really can't see that we can blame all our injuries on the training pitch.