Ins and outs 2023/24 | Vital Football

Ins and outs 2023/24

mikemiller

Vital Football Hero
08/05/23 (Post-match v Wigan)

Paul Davis (Advertiser) Twitter - Matt Taylor was quoted as saying that Richard Wood has now played his final Millers game. Also several players have been offered to other clubs (no names given).

Well, I'd guess Eaves won't play again (for us), Ferguson, McCart, Bola, Harding I'd expect us to try and offload. Kelly may go?

Would have felt a lot better had we finished the season after the 'Boro win. Yesterday was a big anti-climax and I now feel less hopeful going forward. I have little faith in our recruitment committee. Last Summer I had fairly reliable info that we were interested in Bishop, Stockton and Hoskins. All were affordable. We dithered.
I also hoped for a breakthrough season for Kelly and thought he and Wash up front could do a job. Chieo will go surely? If Wiles stays will he get back to his best? Without splashing the cash on 5 or 6 Championship quality players I honestly see us adrift by Christmas.:surrender:

Ferguson has showed that he is a skillful player with a "footballing brain" (unlike many). So frustrating that he can't go for more than a game or two without breaking down injured.:(

Bola has hardly played whilst out on loan due to injuries, McCart has been only marginally better.

Difficult to know what to say about Eaves, other than it's unlikely that any EFL club would would want to sign him. We have had two successive Championship seasons where our main centre forward, and in each case reputedly highest paid player at RUFC, has scored ZERO goals in a full season. (Thanks, Warney!). If we go for the hat-trick next season , relegation will be almost certain.

Worrying that several of the players signed whilst Matt Taylor has been manager have been crocks, or not very good, or both. Hugill has been ok, and Coventry was probably the best of the loans. Hjelde had some good games, although made a few costly errors too. At least the latter two both showed signs of improvement in their time at the NYS. Will we re-sign them?

Last edited:
TS the other day eulogised about our January signings. Don't see it but I may be wrong. MT seems to think Fosu is brilliant. Coventry and Hjelde not bad - both should get better. Hugill? I don't know. Lack of service and playing often alone make it hard to judge.

Worrying that several of the players signed whilst Matt Taylor has been manager have been crocks, or not very good, or both. Hugill has been ok, and Coventry was probably the best of the loans. Hjelde had some good games, although made a few costly errors too. At least the latter two both showed signs of improvement in their time at the NYS. Will we re-sign them?

The thing is 'whilst Matt Taylor has been manager' we have still had the same recruitment staff - just putting that out there.

Seen a rumour we are looking at a Belgian winger. If true I would hazard a guess it might be Thibaud Verlinden. I think he's with Beerschot atm. 24 years old and I think it might be him for 3 reasons. He has played for Stoke and Bolton. He scored against us for Bolton (this seems to have swung it for Tom Eaves!) and he missed 2020-21 season with an ACL injury. May all be rubbish of course.

We don't need any more injury-prone players. Rather see us give Durose a chance to play.
----------------------------------------------------------

Rumour on another Millers fans website that Ferguson could be joining his old ex-Millwall mates at Gillingham.

Last edited:
I watched the Notts County v Boreham Wood game. Exciting stuff and both sides had some promising players. I liked the wide right player for Notts, Aaron Nemane, 25 yo, formerly with Man.City. There is talent out there if you look. No need to sign 30 yo players with injury track record. Morecambe are letting all but 5 go after relegation and there are a couple worth a look imo. If we sell a GK might be worth looking at Ripley, 30 yo and voted Morecambe's player of the season but now a free agent. Somebody will grab him.

Do we learn as a club? Strong rumours we are looking at Blackburn's out-of-contract CH, Daniel Ayala. 32 yo and only 56 games in 3 seasons due to injury. Surely not?

10/05/23

Matt Taylor has just been on Radio Sheffield. He said that we will be getting rid of some players who are not good enough for the Championship (no names mentioned).
------------------------------------------------------------------

I have just been watching the YouTube film of the Millers goals for the 2022/23 season. I am now inclined to think that Ferguson should be offered another year's contract, IF we use him sparingly. He is good enough for this division skill-wise, if his body will hold out. We need some proper medical advice about him though. Just checked - he played in 31 Championship games (21 starts) in 2022/23, and he went off injured in several games, including our penultimate one v M'boro'. He scored three league goals - only one less than Rathbone, Odoffin, Kelly, and one more than Wiles.

Last edited:
Ferguson - even when fit, seems unable to play a full 90+ minutes.

Harding seemed to be finding his form again the last few games of the season. I thought he was ok until the game at Burnley but really lost it after that!

Re recruitment - if (and it’s a big if!) first Sean Morrison and then Bailey Wright had stayed fit - I thought they were both good finds. I would be happy to see Bailey Wright back next season. We really need an ‘enforcer’ CH to play alongside Humphrey.

If we re-sign Ferguson, it would have to be as a "job share". ie we would need somebody else in a shadow role, maybe a younger player who is not not quite as good yet, but with reliable fitness.

10/05/23

Rumour on another Millers fans website that Eaves, McCart, Bola, Washington, Kioso and Hull have been told that they can leave if a suitable offer is made for them. (Sounds plausible - they all seem to have injury problems). Great opportunity for Warney to replenish the Derby squad?

Last edited:
Looks like the rumours about players who had been told they can leave were correct. Feel a bit sorry for Jake Hull - the disruption caused by Covid , and then the abrupt departure of Warney and the RUFC coaching staff, probably messed up his chances of arranging a loan to a league club, where he could have got more EFL experience. By all accounts , he has been a good professional, so good luck to him for the future.

Last edited:
I remember the fanfare when we signed McCart - very highly regarded in Scotland. Kioso I had high hopes for. Washington is a surprise - sort of. Hull is a shame. Bola ruined by injury. Why did we sign 20 goal man Tom?
The elephant in the room is how are we to improve the squad without spending much more than we have been prepared to do in the past - on wages if not fees.