I.Q. | Page 3 | Vital Football

I.Q.

Don't like any of these 21st century online pseudo intellectuals. "Success" is relative to the Individual. Some want 2 point 4 children some want 1 million pounds by the time they're 40, if he was TRULY intelligent he would not think in such terms. On IQ I once did an IQ test and scored above average so it just shows you what they're worth.

Don't like any of these 21st century online pseudo intellectuals. "Success" is relative to the Individual. Some want 2 point 4 children some want 1 million pounds by the time they're 40, if he was TRULY intelligent he would not think in such terms. On IQ I once did an IQ test and scored above average so it just shows you what they're worth.

One of the points I found fascinating was that people with higher IQ don't understand what it's like to negotiate the world with a lower IQ.

We tend to hang around with similar people. University graduates hang out with other university graduates and get jobs where they work with other university graduates. This creates a bubble where they believe that that level of IQ is average. (I'm not saying all university graduates are smart or that people without degrees are dumb)

Jordan Peterson talked about working with a man who had an IQ of 80 and he found it very difficult to fold letters and put them into envelopes.

Part of it is definitely hereditary, but with a correlation of only 0.86 twins are not exactly the same.

The largest study to date, 100,000 subject, finds that one test to judge everyone is a fallacy.

https://blog.sciencemuseum.org.uk/biggest-intelligence-test-exposes-the-limits-of-iq/

That's fascinating. The correlation between IQ and outcomes in life mean it can't be dismissed easily but it definitely has limits.

The fact that we struggle to even define intelligence shows that it is a very complex field. One of the other big factors is consciousness. Much like those super talented players who never make it in football, having a high IQ doesn't guarantee anything.

I wonder does IQ fade away as we get older? The one time I did a serious IQ test, I got 147 (almost Mensa standard). I have a feeling that if I did it now it'd be less.
Anyway, as Mrs BBJ has pointed out to me, if I was so clever why aren't we rich?

I wonder does IQ fade away as we get older? The one time I did a serious IQ test, I got 147 (almost Mensa standard). I have a feeling that if I did it now it'd be less.
Anyway, as Mrs BBJ has pointed out to me, if I was so clever why aren't we rich?

You must be a lazy bugger so. :p

Seriously though, they say it does but it's measured against your age group and the score is on the mean where the average is 100 so you would probably get the same score but have reduced mental capacity, if that makes sense.

Reactions: BBJ
I'll tell you one thing no matter how intelligent you are you'll realise how little control your intelligence has when you're fearful or in a panic. Its something I have been trying to get more grips on to understand the world a little more.

If me, a relatively intelligent person can believe that some how my swollen knee might kill me during a panic attack. Its not hard to see how others can be manipulated by fear into believing crazy things about other people or countries etc.

Not to mention if a group of intellectuals were dropped into the stone age it might not count for a lot either.

Lets also toss in your success in life might is the sum of multiple factors not just intelligence. Timing is often found to be a huge indicator; I myself work in a sector doing what is really a niche job in the US but not in the UK & Ireland. My own relative success in the job market I am in is based on my timing of moving to NYC too.

I think that's exactly it, BB. What is intelligence? I am fascinated by anyone that can play the piano. It just boggles my mind. To pick up languages so easily astounds me.

Such a minefield when you start looking at it.

Completely agree, I think you and I have similar strengths and in a similar field of work from reading the forum but I’m with you all the way. I’d love to be able to speak another language but I just can’t do it yet it’s so natural for a 6-7 year old European to speak multiple.

What is interesting is my dad is an engineer and has a completely different skill set in how we see and do things. In theory or on paper we’d do well in business together - in reality we’re a disaster because we see things so differently.

It’s a different type of skill, I’d probably score well in an IQ test which is largely mathematical but put a car engine together or become an electrician? Useless. My brain and my determination to be good at that stuff just isn’t there.

I’ll also admit if there’s something I’m not interested in or can’t do I much prefer to get someone else to do it. To me, it means I can concentrate on the few things I am good at and maximise my concentration and success on doing those things which ultimately allow me to pay the bills.

I am a bit luckier, it seems. My spacial awareness skills are what gets me through the test with good results, and these actually help with rebuilding an engine. It could also be something to do with being raised on a farm and expected to learn things like that?

I have always complained that if you are good at Music, Art or maybe sport then everyone sees it. When you are good at logic they don't.

As for you and your Dad, maybe opposites are good when it comes to working together? I had a Business with two partners, and one partner had the ideas, I worked out how to get it done and the third one did it. Without any one of us we would not have been as successful.

I'll tell you one thing no matter how intelligent you are you'll realise how little control your intelligence has when you're fearful or in a panic. Its something I have been trying to get more grips on to understand the world a little more.

Totally understand that. All bets are off when in the middle of a panic attack.

I do remember coming across some articles years ago when I was trying to figure it all out, about how anxiety is linked to high I.Q. You'll probably come across some if you Google it.

I have always complained that if you are good at Music, Art or maybe sport then everyone sees it. When you are good at logic they don't.

I totally get this and sometimes this is where the emotion gets in the way. Problem solving is similar and I would say that that is my greatest strength but unless it is used to put something together it is not always seen or valued. Its probably one of the number one things I would focus on if I had a kid because I genuinely feel no matter what field I'd have chosen in life I'd be successful at it. Only small thing I see with it is you might view everything as a problem to be solved.

I totally get this and sometimes this is where the emotion gets in the way. Problem solving is similar and I would say that that is my greatest strength but unless it is used to put something together it is not always seen or valued. Its probably one of the number one things I would focus on if I had a kid because I genuinely feel no matter what field I'd have chosen in life I'd be successful at it. Only small thing I see with it is you might view everything as a problem to be solved.

You probably won't have to. Most of it is genetic.

You probably won't have to. Most of it is genetic.

I am one of four children. We all look similar, but I am the only one that went on to higher education.

I think genetics is a factor, for many, but you can get outliers as well. Tow intelligent parents don;t guarantee intelligent children, and vica versa.

I am one of four children. We all look similar, but I am the only one that went on to higher education.

I think genetics is a factor, for many, but you can get outliers as well. Tow intelligent parents don;t guarantee intelligent children, and vica versa.

I'm one of 3 but in the same situation. Both of my siblings started 3rd level but didn't finish.

I don't think I take after either of my parents but my kids are almost carbon copies of us. My eldest takes after me and the youngest takes after my wife. It's remarkable how similar they are to us in personality and how very different they are from each other.

Intelligence is multi-levelled in us all.
Being able to do well in tests is no guarantee of a supior intellect, only a guarantee of being able to amass, store and retrieve the needed information on request.
Intelligence tests would have some use, I suppose, if everyone looked at, or assessed information in the same way.
When it comes to numerical information for example, I tend to see patterns. The patterns are based on the common phone pad. This way I can recall numbers, everything from birthdates, to phone, and bank account numbers etc. I also have the ability, which I find useful, of once a number has lost its importance to me, being able to wipe it completely from my mental filing system.
As I am sure quite a few will know, I can be quite pedantic over the written word. When I become pedantic, it is very often for my own amusement. I find it funny to see people trying to explain that misspellings and misuse of words doesn't really matter, when the misuse of words is what leads to most of the worlds misunderstandings and anger.
I have spent time with several people who have been classed as very low intelligence but, speaking with them has convinced me that they are just operating on a different plane to those of us who are categorised as 'normal' in this world.

Intelligence is multi-levelled in us all.

Being able to do well in tests is no guarantee of a supior intellect, only a guarantee of being able to amass, store and retrieve the needed information on request.

As I am sure quite a few will know, I can be quite pedantic over the written word. When I become pedantic, it is very often for my own amusement. I find it funny to see people trying to explain that misspellings and misuse of words doesn't really matter, when the misuse of words is what leads to most of the worlds misunderstandings and anger.

I agree with the first two points - my dad didnt finish school he had to leave school at 13 or 14 to look after his brothers so my grandmother could work. He is no idiot but he has no qualifications and the only fault I have with my dad is problem solving technology. He doesnt have command of all this information I have but that is just knowledge I learned it doesnt make me more intelligent IMO.

Thats another thing with me my grammar and spelling is certainly iffy and every now and then I can crack out some good well written stuff but in general I am very bad at it. I actually went to the 'reading room' for many years in school basically with the thick kids because my english was that bad. Now I live in New York, I have a good job, I have finished 3rd level education with a 1.1 and was awarded second place for my dissertation too so I know as well as anyone you can 'fight for your intelligence'.

When completing my course to get to university the black guys in the class were the lowest achievers. At university the stand-out student in a number of modules was a black Nigerian guy with wealthy parents. Guy was a genius!