Hugo's Howlers | Page 4 | Vital Football

Hugo's Howlers

Nick Real Deal - 9/10/2017 10:17

A howler is not a goal IMO. It's an error either through a mental or physical mistake. Poor reaction time, poor positioning, lack of communication, poor execution etc.

So every mistake is a howler then. I knew we had a definition gap.

Pollo - 9/10/2017 10:23

Nick Real Deal - 9/10/2017 10:17

A howler is not a goal IMO. It's an error either through a mental or physical mistake. Poor reaction time, poor positioning, lack of communication, poor execution etc.

So every mistake is a howler then. I knew we had a definition gap.

Does this help?

howler
'ha?l?/
noun
noun: howler; plural noun: howlers; noun: howler monkey; plural noun: howler monkeys

informal

a very stupid or glaring mistake, especially an amusing one.

"the occasional schoolboy howler would amuse the examiners"

synonyms: mistake, error, blunder, fault, gaffe, slip, slip of the pen; lapsus calami;
informalslip-up, boo-boo, boner, botch, fluff, fail;
informalboob, bloomer, clanger;
informalblooper, bloop, goof;
vulgar slangfuck-up;
technicalmalapropism, solecism
"the occasional schoolboy howler would amuse the examiners"

A howler is an embarrassing error. Not necessarily a goal conceded although could be or close to.

Keepers make mistakes but it's how many that matters.

If a striker missed from 12 yards open goal...howler.

so... if a keeper can have a howler that isn't a goal, can a striker have a howler that is a goal? :10:

howler has to lead to a goal / pen / red card for me. Otherwise it's an "almost" howler.

I'm actually intrigued to see how this thread goes as I'm not as confident in Hugo in the big fixtures as I once was and want to see if that's warranted or just because people keep going on about it.

Game after game he is pulling some world class saves and winning us points, who's taking notice?

Pollo - 15/10/2017 09:04

Game after game he is pulling some world class saves and winning us points, who's taking notice?

Very true. I'm still more interested to see how he does in the big games. Madrid being an example.

I mentioned it in the match thread. He saved us and had Defoes attempt covered. This thread is about examining his performances to establish his weaknesses if any.

Surely every game counts.

A great performance with great saves is the same, whoever you play.

With his clean sheet yesterday, it helped us to gain 3 points due to his great couple of saves.

3 points against the Cherries is no less important (or big), than 3 points against any other team.

It seems odd to suggest that he may have a more difficult task performing well against a team like Real.
It is obvious that his job will be, or should be, a much tougher affair, with a lot more to do and therefore an increased likelihood of conceding a goal or two.

He is a great goalkeeper. But he is not perfect and we can't ever expect him to be.
He will make mistakes. That's a given. But, his record for Spurs is a very good one.

Our defensive record over the past 2 seasons is proof enough.

Hot Tottingham - 15/10/2017 10:02

Surely every game counts.

A great performance with great saves is the same, whoever you play.

With his clean sheet yesterday, it helped us to gain 3 points due to his great couple of saves.

3 points against the Cherries is no less important (or big), than 3 points against any other team.

Every game counts. But in the past if Hugo does show any weaknesses it tends to be in the bigger games. He seems to switch off at times. Just my opinion of course.

I have questioned his close in saves in the past. He tends to collapse backwards. But he did well to react to that one yesterday.

"Every game counts. But in the past if Hugo does show any weaknesses it tends to be in the bigger games. He seems to switch off at times. Just my opinion of course."

It is your opinion RD and that of course, is fair enough.

As an ex-goalkeeper myself (and to a highish level), I do tend to get very defensive of most 'keepers. Let alone Spurs players.

But, it also means that I do have quite a good understanding of what a difficult and unforgiving job it is.

Spursex - 17/10/2017 12:40

So far, so good - the 'Howlers' seem strangely absent - long may it continue.

Yes, full credit given where full credit is due.
Hugo got us the 3 points against B'mouth and the draw away to Real.

Boom, big game crap thrown out of the window.

World class.

Spursex - 17/10/2017 12:40

So far, so good - the 'Howlers' seem strangely absent - long may it continue.

Should have started my Harry Howler thread after all :2: