Hugo's Howlers | Page 2 | Vital Football

Hugo's Howlers

I thought he was too far to the right. Alonso is a leftie, taking from the right and standing at a right angle to the ball. It was only going one way. Can you imagine what kind of strike it would have been to fade it to the left from there. Lloris got nowhere near it.

It is like I said elsewhere, it wasn't the 'worldie' people were making out. Lloris would, I think, normally have got to it but wasn't really on his game and that was down to positioning.

I'll merge this in the Howlers thread tomorrow...

‘My frustration is even more personal’ - Hugo on Chelsea

Posted on 22 August 2017 - 12:05
Hugo Lloris took Sunday’s loss against Chelsea to heart.

The nature of Chelsea’s winner hit the skipper hard as he was beaten by Marcos Alonso’s low shot at the near post with only two minutes remaining of a game we’d dominated.

Despite that dominance - 18-9 shots, Chelsea two shots on target, two goals, 67.5% possession - once again, the Blues found a way to land the spoils at Wembley.

Alonso hit the top corner with a free-kick after 24 minutes but we looked the likely winners when Christian Eriksen’s free-kick was turned into his own net by Michy Batsuyi with 82 minutes on the clock, but it wasn’t to be.

“My frustration is even more personal because the second goal is a lack of success on my part,” said Hugo. “Okay, it happens in football, but the lads made so much effort it makes it so frustrating.”

Mauricio Pochettino has a clear week to prepare the squad for the visit of Burnley in the Premier League at Wembley on Sunday (4pm).

“Now it’s about the way get rid of that frustration,” added Hugo. “We will keep working hard, prepare for the next game and as I said, with the same spirit, that won’t be a problem.”

Taricco the yid - 22/8/2017 19:25

Nick Real Deal - 22/8/2017 18:51

So he has kind of apologised. Not enough for me.

Why should he apologise lol, he made a mistake and he's owned up to it. We move on.

Maybe we should have a judicial enquire.....or he should resign? Perhaps give up his first born?

This is all nonsense about mistakes, every one makes them.
IF Wanyama had made the pass to shitsokko, then we would have got the draw as a minimum, Loris may have been hasty in his decision to throw the ball out quickly, but maybe he thought we had them on the back foot after the equalizer and could snatch the winner.....
Move on...

Taricco the yid - 22/8/2017 19:25

Nick Real Deal - 22/8/2017 18:51

So he has kind of apologised. Not enough for me.

Why should he apologise lol, he made a mistake and he's owned up to it. We move on.

If we insisted players apologise after every mistake they make - it would be a very long list of apologies that would fill two dozen press conferences - perhaps we could do the japanese bit as well and make them bow alot and then if they're really bad commit ritual disembowelment ?

It would certainly attract some viewing figures and even a good deal of fan support...

Nick Real Deal - 22/8/2017 20:39

Every mistake does not lead to a goal against us with minutes to go.
Their mistakes get highlighted as they tend to be directly implicit in a victory or otherwise much like a striker. Odd though that they aren't usually paid as much as strikers?

Move on.

I do think this thread is warranted though. It will be interesting to see at the end of the season how many howlers he makes. I don't think he makes many howlers, but do think at times he should do much better.

It will be interesting. Keepers can make mistakes and get away with it. Hugo left it too late to launch the ball upfield while being closed down . The ball rebounded off the oncoming player and luckily fell safe but could have gone in the net.

So bad positioning on the free kick, poor distribution , letting the ball go under him for the second goal and not releasing the ball quick enough all in one game FFS. 4 mistakes without even delving deep and 2 led to goals.

That's why he should be humble and apologise for an abject display of keeping.

This annoys me somewhat, I know it is the way of the keeper and it was a mistake.

But Kane Twice had Alli free in the middle with a tap in and shot from a stupid angle
He didnt haul down Kante properly either

Should he say sorry?

Creative play will have a higher error or failure rate. It is speculative. Defensive play needs to be safe and solid .

He didn't have to say sorry.....I made a mistake I feel bad about it and will work on that aspect of my play.....would have sufficed.

Kinygerbils - 23/8/2017 07:43

This annoys me somewhat, I know it is the way of the keeper and it was a mistake.

But Kane Twice had Alli free in the middle with a tap in and shot from a stupid angle
He didnt haul down Kante properly either

Should he say sorry?

Yes, clearly he understandably should., and whilst he's at it cover himself in tar and feathers

They were two possibly three howlers he made in the split second, which if he'd done the right thing might have won us the game.

Feel free to start the Harry Howler thread....

:14:

Almost a howler..

Really had little to do of note, but once again his concentration seemed to waver on the one aspect of his game that is my bug bear with him - his distrribution.

Virtually passed the ball under no pressure to an Everton player - can't remember which one, who fortunately wasn't good enough to punish us for it.

Best keeper we've had in many a year.

Individual errors are a part of the game so i don't believe an apology is warranted.

He's prone to the odd howler but cast your mind back to the likes of Gomes & Robinson & you'll soon realise that he makes far fewer mistakes than either.

Spursex - 11/9/2017 10:24

Almost a howler..

Really had little to do of note, but once again his concentration seemed to waver on the one aspect of his game that is my bug bear with him - his distrribution.

Virtually passed the ball under no pressure to an Everton player - can't remember which one, who fortunately wasn't good enough to punish us for it.

His distribution, especially under pressure, is BY FAR the weakest part of his game. I wouldn't say there was no pressure in that instance, I actually thought Sanchez playing it back to him in that scenario encouraged Everton to press. Not exactly an error by Sanchez, but added unnecessary pressure.

All that said it's obvious Lloris is encouraged to play it out from the back rather than boot it up field and if you consider how many duff passes an outfield player makes a season maybe we just notice it more as there aren't several players behind him to cover when he does pass to the opposition? Perhaps we create more chances and concede less by his playing out the back than if he more speculatively punted it up field like a lot of keepers do.

His distribution is poor compared to his overall quality and standing amognst the best keepers in Europe. I hate a speculative punt upfield from a keeper as it loses possession too often, and Lloris does do that when there are other options.

It does catch the eye though, as those punts often are nowhere near one of our shirts. Presumably our goalkeeping coach (who is that) is working hard on that with him?

Other than that, he is a top keeper in my book.