How to beat City...CL 2nd Leg - Manchester United FC (The Sky Blues) vs Tottenham Hotspur | Page 2 | Vital Football

How to beat City...CL 2nd Leg - Manchester United FC (The Sky Blues) vs Tottenham Hotspur

We have to defend offensively and not just concede space on our own half for them to run around in and have players free to pick their passes.

Hope Son and Lucas have lots of opportunities to run at Laporte and Kompany....two red cards waiting to happen with the right ref.

If you mean we use a high press and counter press against them in their half, I thnk they'll shred us with their ability upfront and cut thorugh us like a hot knife through butter.

I'd trade space for compact defence and tatical fouling and play aginst them on the counter.

Well we have the same Turkish ref as England had in the semi-final of the WC. The idiot that let Lovren and Vida get away with several yellow cards on our players in the first half. It then continued into the second half with Brozovic just kicking anything that moved and never getting punished.

We saw what Fernandinho got away with away from home. Can't think what may happen at their place with that ref.

It seems obvious to have Son and Moura up front with either Alli or Eriksen supporting. This is predictable and easy for Pep to prepare for.

We are going to be under pressure, having Llorente up front as a target man and holding the ball up could pin them back and prevent floods of attacks.

It would be a brave move but this is going to be an even more intense tactical battle.

Llorente struggling for fitness with a knock from Huddersfield game. Looking a bit threadbare up top with Alli touch and go.

Llorente struggling for fitness with a knock from Huddersfield game. Looking a bit threadbare up top with Alli touch and go.

Noticed that. Wonder what the story is with Winks as well. Poch won't need many more niggles before he slots Sanchez into a back 3 and goes with wing backs. I'm hoping he doesn't though.

Trying to get too cute playing out of the back could kill us in this one. I hope we push the ball out quickly and that we do press them high. I'd pit pit our best 4 attackers against their backline/CM all day. I'd also stick Sissoko on DeBruyne, like Dele glued Jorjinho.

Victor played 90, but start him and see how long he can go. We need the physicality he provides to set the tone, and shut down the deep middle.

________Hugo__________
Toby_Snchz_Vert_Rose
____Sissoko_Victor____
____Eriksen__Dele_____
_____Lucas__Son______

[Gazzinga, Tripp, Winks, Davies, Foyth, Skipp, Llorente]

Spurs 2 - Citeh 0
(Son, Eriksen)

COYS!

I don't see how we are predictable with Eriksen's clever passes,chips & crosses. Lucas & Son changing the direction of our attacks as they roam all over the pitch.Sissoko is great but unpredictable as even he doesn't know what he's going to do next.
We can predict that he won't score though. Llorente is a clever front man with years of experience at this level.
Pep should be worried because he can't plan against a side that is full of surprises.

Alli's inclusion has been peripheral for the best part of two seasons, we are more of a threat with Lucas in the team. His absence doesn't compare as losing Sissoko would be.

Alli's inclusion has been peripheral for the best part of two seasons, we are more of a threat with Lucas in the team. His absence doesn't compare as losing Sissoko would be.

Alli is another one who could do with a long summer off and away from football altogether.

He I would be inclined to believe his continuing progress would kick-start.

All Pep will do is worry about his own team's tactics, rather than ours. We're the away team and have way too many variables in play with the current set of niggles in the squad. He'll plan on scoring 3 or more goals like he always does with his home setup.

Good defence is vital then. If we get an away goal ,they have to score 3 to win. If you don't defend well at any level you will not succeed.COYS.

It's all about keeping it tight and keeping concentration. If we can keep them out for the first 20-25 mins they will start to get anxious. When the press forward more and more gaps will appear and it will be down to us to exploit them when they do.

It's all about keeping it tight and keeping concentration. If we can keep them out for the first 20-25 mins they will start to get anxious. When the press forward more and more gaps will appear and it will be down to us to exploit them when they do.
A repeat of Dortmund basically although I’m not sure my heart can take the nerves from that onslaught against our die hard defence that night!

If you mean we use a high press and counter press against them in their half, I thnk they'll shred us with their ability upfront and cut thorugh us like a hot knife through butter.

I'd trade space for compact defence and tatical fouling and play aginst them on the counter.
I’m not advocating a high press in their half but am drawing a line at the half way line....that is where we need to disrupt and stop giving them time on the ball. If we fall back to the 18 yard line or so like Palace did on Sunday we will be butchered. Defending offensively means retaining a genuine attacking threat and we can’t do that without the ball. Defending deep we will likely give away loads of corners at best and we all know how well we defend against them.

Good as City can be if we assume an ultra defensive approach we will certainly lose...we have to have faith in our own ability to play some attacking football and score and that then gives them the problems....that means we have to get the ball and use it well.

I’m not advocating a high press in their half but am drawing a line at the half way line....that is where we need to disrupt and stop giving them time on the ball. If we fall back to the 18 yard line or so like Palace did on Sunday we will be butchered. Defending offensively means retaining a genuine attacking threat and we can’t do that without the ball. Defending deep we will likely give away loads of corners at best and we all know how well we defend against them.

Good as City can be if we assume an ultra defensive approach we will certainly lose...we have to have faith in our own ability to play some attacking football and score and that then gives them the problems....that means we have to get the ball and use it well.
As soon as palace went 2 down they started to commit high and immediately started making chances. If we do the same but stay compact its down to Mora and Son to take one if its presented. If we scored first anywhere from 15min in I think they will bottle it. But it's a big IF...

Some may be underwhelmed by the news Lamela may be in contention to play against City. Even if on the bench that's a bonus as Winks is out and we need creativity. On going for the rest of the season it's good news from my view if not others.

Some may be underwhelmed by the news Lamela may be in contention to play against City. Even if on the bench that's a bonus as Winks is out and we need creativity. On going for the rest of the season it's good news from my view if not others.

Winks and Dier still out injured, you couldn't make this season's injuries up, beyond a fecking joke, is something wrong at the club with the ridiculous amount of long term injuries we have had compared to everyone else in the top 6 ?

L
Winks and Dier still out injured, you couldn't make this season's injuries up, beyond a fecking joke, is something wrong at the club with the ridiculous amount of long term injuries we have had compared to everyone else in the top 6 ?

I heard a rumour Winks would be fit but maybe not! At least Lamela is back and Dele in contention. We did it at home, we can do it again!

Personally if Wanyama is fit, I'd rather have Wana and Sissoko. Both can break play, show aggression and run with the ball. I don't think WInks is the right choice for this game as there won't me much room to make many 5 yds passes. Also, I'd like City rattled in the midfield with some physicality as they've always dished it out and we are due returning the compliment.

Clinical please. Not gonna get many chances so the make the most of rare opps.

Am quietly confident as long as we keep them quiet for 25 mins and our key players turn up. I love seeing a frustrated figure in Aguero!