How to beat City...CL 2nd Leg - Manchester United FC (The Sky Blues) vs Tottenham Hotspur | Vital Football

How to beat City...CL 2nd Leg - Manchester United FC (The Sky Blues) vs Tottenham Hotspur

Nick Real Deal

Vital Football Legend
I have started a new thread because the second game needs fresh thinking and drawing a line under.

Sissoko has said Poch showed video of City's weaknesses and a game plan was hatched. It was more like a chess game on grass with complex plans and movements. I won't repeat it here as it's too detailed but will tell you where I read it later.

When Harry went off Poch has to re adjust the plan.

I expect Pep to change personel and tactics so we possibly need to do the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
__________Lloris
Trippier, Toby, Jan, Rose
____________Dier
_______Winks, Sissoko
__________Eriksen, Lucas
____________Son

I'd have to play Lucas & Son because the pace will cause them serious problems especially given they've got to attack and their pacey full backs will be getting forward. Eriksen or Dele to make way and given Dele's injury I'd give Eriksen the nod. Dier or Wanyama has to play DM as well, I'd try and avoid playing 3 CB's

I personally like us to pose them problems by dictating our decided style on the night rather than worry about how they may change and try to counter/second guess that....
Danny Blanchflower always used to say , we need to equalise before the other team score , but I think he was talking about his Northern Ireland teams chances then

I hope we dont start with Llorente, be playing into their hands.

With no Kane it might force Poch into a more fluid tactic up top. This may be more difficult for City to work out. With Son and Moura buzzing around and Eriksen feeding them it may work.

Concentration is key

Defended properly and we have a chance.

They're have more attacking intent this time; their tempo will be higher and they're be looking to make fast crisp passing with lots of movement off the ball. I suspect that they'll focus on our weaker right side and that will be where most of their attacks will start with swift transition through the middle.

The key will be stop them settling into their pattern of play for as long as possible; I'd go four at the back, with a midfield 4 (much depends on who is available) with a an 'up-top' two, which in reality may look more like a 1 playing off one, except when we can achieve some possession in and around their box.

Any set pieces we get in and around their box will be huge for us; score a goal first and all the pressure will heap on them.

If we do come away from a result here, my guess it won't be pretty and I fully expect to see a 67-33% possession stat.

Lloris's distribution will need to be at his best, calm heads who aren't just giving the ball away under pressure of their press is going to be the difference.

Last edited:
They're have more attacking intent this time; their tempo will be higher and they're be looking to make fast crisp passing with lots of movement off the ball. I suspect that they'll focus on our weaker right side and that will be where most of their attacks will start with swift transition through the middle.

The key will be stop them settling into their pattern of play for as long as possible; I'd go four at the back, with a midfield 4 (much depends on who is available) with a an 'up-top' two, which in reality may look more like a 1 playing off one, except when we can achieve some possession in and around their box.

Any set pieces we get in and around their box will be huge for us; score a goal first and all the pressure will heap on them.

If we do come away from a result here, my guess it won't be pretty and I fully expect to see a 67-33% possession stat.

Lloris's distribution will need to be at his best, calm heads who aren'y just giving the ball away unde pressure of their press is going to be the difference.

On Hugo’s distribution I want to see him mix it up.

Stop playing it short every time - nothing wrong with a punt towards the full backs now and again.

Lloris's distribution will need to be at his best, calm heads who aren'y just giving the ball away unde pressure of their press is going to be the difference.

Score first and think we will go through

I remember a recent City game where they came out and pressed us like the devil...expect same on Wednesday, and counteract it through movement and not dwelling on the ball.
We're going to need to be at the top of our game all over the park, including up front where there may be openings due to their expected all out attack. All players need to be switched on for the full 90+ minutes, as this is the team that can and will capitalize on mistakes.

For those attending, be in fine voice, the lads will need the boost.

Tactics...don't let them score and if they do, make sure it's after we score. If away goals count double then a 2-1 result either way puts us through.

Come on you Spurs!

We have to defend offensively and not just concede space on our own half for them to run around in and have players free to pick their passes.

Hope Son and Lucas have lots of opportunities to run at Laporte and Kompany....two red cards waiting to happen with the right ref.