How Can Lincoln City Football Club Become Greener? | Page 4 | Vital Football

How Can Lincoln City Football Club Become Greener?

In 2019, when we won there 2-1, my son and I both tried their vegetarian pie and chips and we both agreed that it was delicious! Indeed, since then, I have modified my meat intake by reducing it and eating more plant-based foods. Ocado do a wonderful range of Moving Mountains stuff which is really tasty. I now go three or four days a week (at least) without meat.

We also have fully vegetarian meals several evenings a week.

Locally sourced does not necessarily mean locally produced and nearly all vegan food will have ingredients grown abroad which mean they have to be transported to the UK. Avocado’s are a prime example here. So you might think you are helping reduce climate change when you’re actually increasing it.

There are some horrendously wrong figures being quoted regarding agriculture and UK food production and worth remembering is we are a lot more efficient and greener than most other countries in the world. Eg: UK beef production has half the carbon footprint than the global average due to the grass they graze and it is kept alive by rain water. The alternative is huge feed lots in other countries where thousands of cattle are in a dust bowl, fed 100% hard food and water comes from the mains.

Also worth remembering is 65% of the U.K. land area is unsuitable for crop and plant production so livestock grazing is a natural alternative. Methane emissions from livestock are a low contributor to climate change, by far the biggest is the accumulation of carbon dioxide from fossil fuels.

UK agriculture contributes 10% to the countries carbon footprint, with livestock 6% and beef cattle 2%. By far the biggest contributor to climate change is transport at around 27% of our total carbon footprint. To put this in context, if one of us cut out meat and dairy totally for a year, we would save @0.7 tons of CO2 but if we flew once to the US we would create @1.6 tons of CO2, that’s one person flying, not a whole plane load of people!

So to get back on topic and avoid the wrath of Jules, 😃 I suggest for our beloved football club to become greener, transport is the area to look at. Saving rain water is another area but the cost of installing tanks and pipe work often offsets any gain, I know this as I have 3 tanks collecting 96,000 litres of rain water off the grain store roofs. Buying ex fertiliser tanks can reduce the costs significantly though which I have done which makes the whole job viable.

All very good points especially on nature of farming in our islands.

Point about flying very worth making. I was staggered (although really shouldn't have been) that our Gov't actually had the affrontery to slash air flying duty just days before start of COP event!
They should have been putting that duty up by a lot !! And in fact maybe charge people more and more for each flight they take so frequent air travellers really get hit in the pocket.

All very good points especially on nature of farming in our islands.

Point about flying very worth making. I was staggered (although really shouldn't have been) that our Gov't actually had the affrontery to slash air flying duty just days before start of COP event!
They should have been putting that duty up by a lot !! And in fact maybe charge people more and more for each flight they take so frequent air travellers really get hit in the pocket.

And yes don't upset Jules.
Seems I have, so apologies to Jules.
He does a brilliant job running this site by the way.

Locally sourced does not necessarily mean locally produced and nearly all vegan food will have ingredients grown abroad which mean they have to be transported to the UK. Avocado’s are a prime example here. So you might think you are helping reduce climate change when you’re actually increasing it.

There are some horrendously wrong figures being quoted regarding agriculture and UK food production and worth remembering is we are a lot more efficient and greener than most other countries in the world. Eg: UK beef production has half the carbon footprint than the global average due to the grass they graze and it is kept alive by rain water. The alternative is huge feed lots in other countries where thousands of cattle are in a dust bowl, fed 100% hard food and water comes from the mains.

Also worth remembering is 65% of the U.K. land area is unsuitable for crop and plant production so livestock grazing is a natural alternative. Methane emissions from livestock are a low contributor to climate change, by far the biggest is the accumulation of carbon dioxide from fossil fuels.

UK agriculture contributes 10% to the countries carbon footprint, with livestock 6% and beef cattle 2%. By far the biggest contributor to climate change is transport at around 27% of our total carbon footprint. To put this in context, if one of us cut out meat and dairy totally for a year, we would save @0.7 tons of CO2 but if we flew once to the US we would create @1.6 tons of CO2, that’s one person flying, not a whole plane load of people!

So to get back on topic and avoid the wrath of Jules, 😃 I suggest for our beloved football club to become greener, transport is the area to look at. Saving rain water is another area but the cost of installing tanks and pipe work often offsets any gain, I know this as I have 3 tanks collecting 96,000 litres of rain water off the grain store roofs. Buying ex fertiliser tanks can reduce the costs significantly though which I have done which makes the whole job viable.
Andrew, hats off, as always.

It’s just dawned on me that the club have got the training complex opposite scampton. Stick a row of wind turbines and a few solar panels up. Become green, make money!

Now for the true figures: UK agriculture contributes 10% to the countries carbon footprint (the BBC say 30% 🙄) with livestock 6% and beef cattle 2%. By far the biggest contributor to climate change is transport at around 27% of our total carbon footprint. To put this in context, if one of us cut out meat and dairy totally for a year, we would save @ 0.7 tons of CO2 but if we flew once to the US we would create @ 1.6 tons of CO2, that’s one person flying, not a whole plane load of people!

So to get back on topic and avoid the wrath of Jules, 😃 I suggest for our beloved football club to become greener, transport is the area to look at. Saving rain water is another area but the cost of installing tanks and pipe work often offsets any gain, I know this as I have 3 tanks collecting 96,000 litres of rain water off the grain store roofs. Buying ex liquid fertiliser tanks can reduce the costs significantly though which I have done which makes the whole job viable.

Lastly, if anyone is interested in how we actually produce food, look after wildlife and the Environment, I do weekly YouTube videos, they go out every Sunday morning, this is the link: https://youtube.com/channel/UCrBwUVIhV0b8Nn5tAE--f5w
Farmer bashing seems to be the current popular trend. Easy for people to be judgemental and criticise but British food production and countryside management are the best in the world despite trying to operate with their hands tied behind their backs due to restrictions not applicable worldwide. The reality is the food produced elsewhere ( imported with a massive carbon footprint) produced without these restrictions, flood our market and fools buy it because it may be slightly cheaper.

It’s just dawned on me that the club have got the training complex opposite scampton. Stick a row of wind turbines and a few solar panels up. Become green, make money!
Possibly make money eventually but it’s a high initial investment. It could be a choice between investing in renewable energy supply or a new Striker, Midfielder and goal keeper.

Guess it's also not just roofs(!) they could be fitted on, but also on south & south west facing walls?
And in fact, not just us, it could and should be made compulsory to have all new buildings (business and residential) fitted with as many solar panels as practically possible. Once thousands and thousands are being fitted, price for each tumbles too.
Not really on walls as once they arent in direct sunlight they would be in the shade so not efficient. On roofs they have full sun access so generate more.They generate a little in all daylight hours but direct strong sunshine is the major contributor to generating power.
It’s not just the cost of the panels. The energy produced is in DC form electricity and needs to be converted to AC form by travelling through inverters before it can be used on site or before it joins the national grid.

Wow very interesting reading especially only 65 per cent is unsuitable for crops, Obviously city sprawling will eradiacate what is left,
Green issues are a massive part of the way forward, We have a scheme in Aus now for plastic glass bottles etc where you get 5 pence per item whether this has a impact on green emissions im not sure but the roads footpaths are a hell of a lot tidier
Re solar we put twenty panels up and the electric bill went down until the electric companies put the prices up, Maybe the same will happen once cars become more of the normal,
Kenworth have also produced a electric truck (b double) to do Brisbane to Sydney 600 mile each way with achange of battery half way at a depot to enable no charging en route , Battery changed by forklift and 15 min turnaround

Sorry i went of on a tangent
Now I am not saying this is going to happen but if we all went vegan, we probably would not need that 65% to grow crops. In excess of 70% of food crops grown are used as animal feed. Stop feeding animals which are extremely inefficient producers of food, you automatically have more food for humans without increasing supply. Pasturland could be rewilded or used to grow eco fuels (willow) and fabrics (bamboo and hemp) There are also potential foods that we do not grow much now that could be grown there (hemp, lupins etc)

Now I am not saying this is going to happen but if we all went vegan, we probably would not need that 65% to grow crops. In excess of 70% of food crops grown are used as animal feed. Stop feeding animals which are extremely inefficient producers of food, you automatically have more food for humans without increasing supply. Pasturland could be rewilded or used to grow eco fuels (willow) and fabrics (bamboo and hemp) There are also potential foods that we do not grow much now that could be grown there (hemp, lupins etc)
There are some good points raised and also some inaccurate ones but this is a thread about Lincoln City not climate change and food production generally. I’m happy to meet up before/after a game to carry this debate on. I’m also having an open day at the farm next spring which you are all welcome, I’ll let you know the date.

Anyway, back to the title of this thread ………

There are some good points raised and also some inaccurate ones but this is a thread about Lincoln City not climate change and food production generally. I’m happy to meet up before/after a game to carry this debate on. I’m also having an open day at the farm next spring which you are all welcome, I’ll let you know the date.

Anyway, back to the title of this thread ………

Go to "Off Topic" - plenty of space there to debate these issues.

I suggest for our beloved football club to become greener, transport is the area to look at.

As I have said before ban all travel to away games, this has by the far the most impact for those who are ultra concerned about CO2 emissions.

In fact, ban anyone who isn't prepared to either walk or pedal to a stadium.

Streaming. You know it makes sense.

Fixture planning, that's also terribly wasteful. Making our team travel all the way to Plymouth and back just for one football match. We should at least stopover and play Cheltenham on the way home.

As for allowing foreign owners to fly over and attend matches and board meetings; don't get me started.

Genuine question from a thicko...

The huge mowers we use at the end of the game and I assume at other times. They are petrol driven I take it. If so just get some of those old push mowers which do just as good a job.

Genuine question from a thicko...

The huge mowers we use at the end of the game and I assume at other times. They are petrol driven I take it. If so just get some of those old push mowers which do just as good a job.

Forest Green were shown on tv using a little electric robot mower. Presumably ecotricity charged.

And related to that, is there anywhere we could site a club wind turbine?
Either one of those giant white ones or maybe a row of smaller ones along a stand roof?
Must be something doable you might think?