How Can Lincoln City Football Club Become Greener? | Page 3 | Vital Football

How Can Lincoln City Football Club Become Greener?

Think there are/used to be some outside the Club Shop but I can't say I've ever seen a bike in them.
There are bike racks but they’re not very secure in my opinion. There is a free to register and use one at St Marks shopping near the two level car park. This is fingerprint entry and has much better secure racks and is inside. Also means you can have a few pints too😃

There are bike racks but they’re not very secure in my opinion. There is a free to register and use one at St Marks shopping near the two level car park. This is fingerprint entry and has much better secure racks and is inside. Also means you can have a few pints too😃
Bike racks need to be of the Oxford type. Not the ones where you stand the bike up by a wheel. They are a recipe for your wheel being buckled and are not so secure.

They are not very heavy and cannot be smashed to make a stabby weapon
We went to watch the rugger at Stade de France and bought a drink outside. It came with a sturdy plastic cup which you paid extra for (through the nose). But it was reusable and our next 25 pints outside, then in, and outside the ground after the game were in by our plastic glass. It came home with us as well. (In case we go again. (Tight types that we are)
A weapon? Don’t think so. Ruck sacks yes!

Bike racks need to be of the Oxford type. Not the ones where you stand the bike up by a wheel. They are a recipe for your wheel being buckled and are not so secure.

Anyway you said"

"I cannot have solar panels because my roof does not face the right way. However, I am vegan and locally source a lot of my food and I cycle and walk a lot of my journeys, including walking to the match on a Saturday. Over to you."

Curious on the solar panels point. I know it's often said they should be south facing. But wouldn't panels on north facing roofs also still work (but with a bit lower output)?

And if so, could panels be fitted on all sides of Sincil Bank?
(Architects on here might need to explain if the existing roofs could take the extra weight)

Oh and is it roofs or rooves? I know hooves is right but not sure on rooves!

Anyway you said"

"I cannot have solar panels because my roof does not face the right way. However, I am vegan and locally source a lot of my food and I cycle and walk a lot of my journeys, including walking to the match on a Saturday. Over to you."

Curious on the solar panels point. I know it's often said they should be south facing. But wouldn't panels on north facing roofs also still work (but with a bit lower output)?

(Architects on here might need to explain if the existing roofs could take the extra weight)

The plural of roof is one I avoid like the plague because neither ever seems right. Some sort of frame could be used to ensure panels are south facing but in a residential area, planning might have something to say about that. Not sure Sincil Bank would have too much of an issue with that.

I always thought taking the tops off bottles was utter nonsense. If you were so minded to throw it all you'd have to do is bung the end with toilet roll. It's pathetic Health & Safety gone mad. They'll be making you leave your shoes at the turnstiles next.

Last edited:
Anyway you said"

One roof ..........plus another one!?

Anyway you said"

It’s roofs.
Solar panels are best south facing but next best is westerly. North or east and they are not efficient at all. I have had a good number for a few years now and never asked about planning permission. I usually find if you may not be happy with the answer it’s best not to ask.
Panels would work well on the South Park end stand, they aren’t heavy at all, virtually any structure can accommodate them

I always thought taking the tops of bottles was utter nonsense. If you were so minded to throw it all you have to do is bung the end with toilet roll. It's pathetic Health & Safety gone mad. They'll be making you leave your shoes at the turnstiles next.

I've never understood that one either.
Surely if you are of the mind of throwing something into the away end they should let you keep the top and take the bottle off you.:rolleyes:

FGR's food is pretty decent. Didn't like one quiche thing I had once but their burgers are lovely.

In 2019, when we won there 2-1, my son and I both tried their vegetarian pie and chips and we both agreed that it was delicious! Indeed, since then, I have modified my meat intake by reducing it and eating more plant-based foods. Ocado do a wonderful range of Moving Mountains stuff which is really tasty. I now go three or four days a week (at least) without meat.

In 2019, when we won there 2-1, my son and I both tried their vegetarian pie and chips and we both agreed that it was delicious! Indeed, since then, I have modified my meat intake by reducing it and eating more plant-based foods. Ocado do a wonderful range of Moving Mountains stuff which is really tasty. I now go three or four days a week (at least) without meat.
When we won 3-2 there in November 2016 we tried a veggie pie of some sort. It tasted ok but the texture was mushy and horrible. It put me off trying veggie stuff since, but having said that most football food is best avoided. Kidderminster is about the only memorable culinary delight I have experienced. It was nearly worth the visit even though we got well dicked 3-0 in our darkest National League days

When we won 3-2 there in November 2016 we tried a veggie pie of some sort. It tasted ok but the texture was mushy and horrible. It put me off trying veggie stuff since, but having said that most football food is best avoided. Kidderminster is about the only memorable culinary delight I have experienced. It was nearly worth the visit even though we got well dicked 3-0 in our darkest National League days

Yes, Kidderminster actually do (did?) cooked food. I remember a decent cottage pie and a curry being on offer on one visit.

Yes, Kidderminster actually do (did?) cooked food. I remember a decent cottage pie and a curry being on offer on one visit.

The food was locally produced when we went and their cottage pies were the envy of the National and football league. They've since changed their supplier to much nashing of teeth locally so I've no idea what their standard is nowadays...Brian Murdoch the man behind the making of the pies died relatively recently I believe

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-34539808

https://harriers.co.uk/news/2021/07/30/food-provision-at-aggborough/

1. There's a lot of plastic wastage from the foods supplied around the ground. Change that to some kind of paper holders.

2. Any capacity for solar panels on any of the stands?

3. Do they really need to water the pitch as much as they do pre match and at half time?

4. Do we really need heating on in the toilets. They were very warm last Saturday and honestly stepping in and out from the cold made not a jot of difference to the individual

5. Meat free burgers? (FGR's for all the snobbish comments were very tasty)

Only serving locally sourced vegan food

Locally sourced does not necessarily mean locally produced and nearly all vegan food will have ingredients grown abroad which mean they have to be transported to the UK. Avocado’s are a prime example here. So you might think you are helping reduce climate change when you’re actually increasing it.

There are some horrendously wrong figures being quoted regarding agriculture and UK food production and worth remembering is we are a lot more efficient and greener than most other countries in the world. Eg: UK beef production has half the carbon footprint than the global average due to the grass they graze and it is kept alive by rain water. The alternative is huge feed lots in other countries where thousands of cattle are in a dust bowl, fed 100% hard food and water comes from the mains.

Also worth remembering is 65% of the U.K. land area is unsuitable for crop and plant production so livestock grazing is a natural alternative. Methane emissions from livestock are a low contributor to climate change, by far the biggest is the accumulation of carbon dioxide from fossil fuels.

Now for the true figures: UK agriculture contributes 10% to the countries carbon footprint (the BBC say 30% 🙄) with livestock 6% and beef cattle 2%. By far the biggest contributor to climate change is transport at around 27% of our total carbon footprint. To put this in context, if one of us cut out meat and dairy totally for a year, we would save @ 0.7 tons of CO2 but if we flew once to the US we would create @ 1.6 tons of CO2, that’s one person flying, not a whole plane load of people!

So to get back on topic and avoid the wrath of Jules, 😃 I suggest for our beloved football club to become greener, transport is the area to look at. Saving rain water is another area but the cost of installing tanks and pipe work often offsets any gain, I know this as I have 3 tanks collecting 96,000 litres of rain water off the grain store roofs. Buying ex liquid fertiliser tanks can reduce the costs significantly though which I have done which makes the whole job viable.

Lastly, if anyone is interested in how we actually produce food, look after wildlife and the Environment, I do weekly YouTube videos, they go out every Sunday morning, this is the link: https://youtube.com/channel/UCrBwUVIhV0b8Nn5tAE--f5w

Last edited:
Locally sourced does not necessarily mean locally produced and nearly all vegan food will have ingredients grown abroad which mean they have to be transported to the UK. Avocado’s are a prime example here. So you might think you are helping reduce climate change when you’re actually increasing it.

There are some horrendously wrong figures being quoted regarding agriculture and UK food production and worth remembering is we are a lot more efficient and greener than most other countries in the world. Eg: UK beef production has half the carbon footprint than the global average due to the grass they graze and it is kept alive by rain water. The alternative is huge feed lots in other countries where thousands of cattle are in a dust bowl, fed 100% hard food and water comes from the mains.

Also worth remembering is 65% of the U.K. land area is unsuitable for crop and plant production so livestock grazing is a natural alternative. Methane emissions from livestock are a low contributor to climate change, by far the biggest is the accumulation of carbon dioxide from fossil fuels.

UK agriculture contributes 10% to the countries carbon footprint, with livestock 6% and beef cattle 2%. By far the biggest contributor to climate change is transport at around 27% of our total carbon footprint. To put this in context, if one of us cut out meat and dairy totally for a year, we would save @0.7 tons of CO2 but if we flew once to the US we would create @1.6 tons of CO2, that’s one person flying, not a whole plane load of people!

So to get back on topic and avoid the wrath of Jules, 😃 I suggest for our beloved football club to become greener, transport is the area to look at. Saving rain water is another area but the cost of installing tanks and pipe work often offsets any gain, I know this as I have 3 tanks collecting 96,000 litres of rain water off the grain store roofs. Buying ex fertiliser tanks can reduce the costs significantly though which I have done which makes the whole job viable.
Wow very interesting reading especially only 65 per cent is unsuitable for crops, Obviously city sprawling will eradiacate what is left,
Green issues are a massive part of the way forward, We have a scheme in Aus now for plastic glass bottles etc where you get 5 pence per item whether this has a impact on green emissions im not sure but the roads footpaths are a hell of a lot tidier
Re solar we put twenty panels up and the electric bill went down until the electric companies put the prices up, Maybe the same will happen once cars become more of the normal,
Kenworth have also produced a electric truck (b double) to do Brisbane to Sydney 600 mile each way with achange of battery half way at a depot to enable no charging en route , Battery changed by forklift and 15 min turnaround

Sorry i went of on a tangent

It’s roofs.
Solar panels are best south facing but next best is westerly. North or east and they are not efficient at all. I have had a good number for a few years now and never asked about planning permission. I usually find if you may not be happy with the answer it’s best not to ask.
Panels would work well on the South Park end stand, they aren’t heavy at all, virtually any structure can accommodate them

Guess it's also not just roofs(!) they could be fitted on, but also on south & south west facing walls?
And in fact, not just us, it could and should be made compulsory to have all new buildings (business and residential) fitted with as many solar panels as practically possible. Once thousands and thousands are being fitted, price for each tumbles too.